BGR.com is supposedly releasing Playbook sales numbers at 10am EST. Ominously, they say that RIM fans should avert their eyes. I'm crossing my fingers and backing the truck up to load up on some shares.
    05-20-11 08:52 AM
    BlackBerry PlayBook sales miss targets by over 90% at major retailer, 'much higher' return rate than XOOM

Not that bad. If the internal target was 20 million, that would mean over 2 million sold so far.

Exclusives BlackBerry PlayBook sales miss targets by over 90% at major retailer, ‘much higher’ return rate than XOOM
    By: Jonathan S. Geller | May 20th, 2011 at 10:00AM View Comments Filed Under: Exclusives, Retail, Tablets

According to a trusted source from a major big box retailer, sales of RIM’s BlackBerry PlayBook have fallen far short of expectations. In addition, we’re told that the PlayBook is being returned at a higher pace than the Motorola XOOM. According to our source, PlayBook sales at this particular retailer missed internal sales targets by more than 90%. As if that wasn’t bad enough, the PlayBook is “being returned at a much higher rate than the XOOM,” which has a very high return rate itself at 7% according to our source. RIM launched its PlayBook tablet on April 19th and sales have been fairly impressive so far according to some analysts. Our source is singing a different tune, however, so let’s hope other major retailers are having better luck with the PlayBook. We’re rooting for RIM, but maybe amateur hour isn’t over yet?
    Last edited by pkcable; 05-20-11 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Added text of blog
    05-20-11 09:03 AM
    BlackBerry PlayBook sales miss targets by over 90% at major retailer, 'much higher' return rate than XOOM

Not that bad. If the internal target was 20 million, that would mean over 2 million sold so far.
    I'm pretty sure the target wasn't 20 million for this short span of time let alone the entire year.
    05-20-11 09:08 AM
    Who is the "source" Steve Jobs?
    Fubaz and andyahs like this.
    05-20-11 09:10 AM
    Who is the "source" Steve Jobs?
    That dude is on medical leave. Probably Tim Cook.
    05-20-11 09:10 AM
    I'm not surprised by the high return rate. I'm on my 7th Playbook myself, mostly due to dead pixels. I think the retailer source is Best Buy. What other big box stores sold both the Xoom and the Playbook?
    05-20-11 09:14 AM
    I'm pretty sure the target wasn't 20 million for this short span of time let alone the entire year.
    i think the whole point is without knowing this `internal target` for this unnamed so called big box retailer, it means nothing. not one actual figure supplied just means usual BGR unconfirmed rubbish
    andyahs and scorpiodsu like this.
    05-20-11 09:15 AM
    dont forget bgr is a pretty big apple fanboi... i stopped following him because of that, dont know if he is more on to android now or what.
    05-20-11 09:16 AM
    Bgr is a waste of time. Their sources are always wrong!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-11 09:16 AM
    Bgr is a waste of time. Their sources are always wrong!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    They're pretty accurate about RIM's 2011 smartphone roadmap.
    05-20-11 09:18 AM
    BGR just likes to get page views
    05-20-11 09:18 AM
    BGR just likes to get page views
    if they even had a ballpark figure id be supprised, truly shows they dont have anything substantial to go on
    05-20-11 09:20 AM

Exclusives BlackBerry PlayBook sales miss targets by over 90% at major retailer, ‘much higher’ return rate than XOOM
    By: Jonathan S. Geller | May 20th, 2011 at 10:00AM View Comments Filed Under: Exclusives, Retail, Tablets

According to a trusted source from a major big box retailer, sales of RIM’s BlackBerry PlayBook have fallen far short of expectations. In addition, we’re told that the PlayBook is being returned at a higher pace than the Motorola XOOM. According to our source, PlayBook sales at this particular retailer missed internal sales targets by more than 90%. As if that wasn’t bad enough, the PlayBook is “being returned at a much higher rate than the XOOM,” which has a very high return rate itself at 7% according to our source. RIM launched its PlayBook tablet on April 19th and sales have been fairly impressive so far according to some analysts. Our source is singing a different tune, however, so let’s hope other major retailers are having better luck with the PlayBook. We’re rooting for RIM, but maybe amateur hour isn’t over yet?
    I added the text of the blog so our members don't have to actually go there to see it. Of course I gave him his BY line.
    05-20-11 09:20 AM
    They're pretty accurate about RIM's 2011 smartphone roadmap.
    Because it came from RIM.
    05-20-11 09:27 AM
    I for one don't believe everything on these tech sites about rumors and analyst claims and sources etc.... But I also think everyone needs to stop getting so defensive and ready to discredit every piece of new that isn't flattering to the device or company of your choice. Just ignore and move on until you still or hear real evidence. I mean if someone says one bad thing about RIM they are a troll or Apple fanboy even if they don't like Apple and are giving their honest opinion. But when the "analyst" estimated 250,000 playbooks sold everyone nearly leaped for joy but they are also unfounded claims by an analysts who almost always predicts positive things for RIM even when he's wrong. Trying to have it both ways and jump for joy over good news and discredit bad news in which case both are just rumors and nothing official from anyone remotely close to the company is being a bit hypocritical. Just my thoughts.
    05-20-11 09:29 AM
    I for one don't believe everything on these tech sites about rumors and analyst claims and sources etc.... But I also think everyone needs to stop getting so defensive and ready to discredit every piece of new that isn't flattering to the device or company of your choice. Just ignore and move on until you still or hear real evidence. I mean if someone says one bad thing about RIM they are a troll or Apple fanboy even if they don't like Apple and are giving their honest opinion. But when the "analyst" estimated 250,000 playbooks sold everyone nearly leaped for joy but they are also unfounded claims by an analysts who almost always predicts positive things for RIM even when he's wrong. Trying to have it both ways and jump for joy over good news and discredit bad news in which case both are just rumors and nothing official from anyone remotely close to the company is being a bit hypocritical. Just my thoughts.
    Hey buddy, sometime we just want it our way. What can i say? I want the best for RIMM and i honestly cant understand all this negativity that this company is receiving when they actually offer such quality devices.
    05-20-11 09:33 AM
    BGR has had pretty solid information in the past few months about RIM's smartphones, so I wouldn't write them off so quickly. Unfortunately this article is so short on details it's simply bad journalism. What were the projected sales numbers for the PlayBook and over what time frame? What's the PlayBook return rate? How high up the chain did they get this info from?

Personal Note: I could believe this. The PlayBook was rushed to market, and for the first week and a bit people were complaining about a myriad issues - both hardware and software. If I were using comments here as a baseline I'd expect a substantially higher return rate than competitors products. Moreover, the tepid reviews, the roughness of the product, and the lack of a 'hook' make it a hard sell against the iPad.
    05-20-11 09:33 AM
    Truth be told Geller himself actually is fairly positive about the PB! BUT he does like page views, and he probably DID get a report and he went with it. Might be true, might not be, same can be said of the reported 250,000 units sold figure.

All I know is *I* have a PB and I LOVE mine!
    scorpiodsu and grover5 like this.
    05-20-11 09:37 AM
    while you are right of course, the analyst was able to provide factual details and data regarding their findings, bgr havent, heck they havent even given a number, 90% short of what? without a factual basisi involving numbers the potential validity is weak at best
    05-20-11 09:38 AM
    I adjusted the titled to reflect the current content about the blog itself, since it's no longer 10 minutes away.
    05-20-11 09:40 AM
    Hey buddy, sometime we just want it our way. What can i say? I want the best for RIMM and i honestly cant understand all this negativity that this company is receiving when they actually offer such quality devices.
    I get that. But wanting your way doesn't mean being hypocritical at the same time by treating the same types of items differently depending on what they say. What I am saying is that none of this so called news holds any weight until some reputable from the companies actually talk about it. Otherwise, all of it should be treated the same. Don't get overly excited about the good or overly defensive about the bad. Does that mean you don't want the best because you don't throw your hands in the air over an "analyst's" estimates? Doesn't it make you less of a RIM supporter if you refrain from getting so defensive about a "trusted source" from an tech blog? Now seriously, come on.
    05-20-11 09:40 AM
    while you are right of course, the analyst was able to provide factual details and data regarding their findings, bgr havent, heck they havent even given a number, 90% short of what? without a factual basisi involving numbers the potential validity is weak at best
    I agree there but to me analyst estimates don't mean much either. They can provide the method they used but that doesn't mean it's accurate. When the iPhone launch on Verizon an analyst claimed that he estimate between 500k and 2.5 million sold in the first week

He provide what he used and all that and still gave a range of 2 million. Then you'll have another analyst that give their estimates which is a lot different. At the end of the day until RIM gives sales figures, the analyst claims are nothing to believe and take to heart and neither are the negative "trust sources" articles.
    05-20-11 09:44 AM
    Unfortunately this article is so short on details it's simply bad journalism.
    BGR isn't journalism at all. Some blogs may offer something akin to journalism, but I wouldn't describe anyone that writes for BGR as a "journalist."
    05-20-11 09:46 AM
    To be fair, releasing the sales target would allow the retailer to be easily identified, so if the source is determined to protect their anonymity it would be foolish to release the actual sales goal. This doesn't mean the information provided is accurate, though.
    05-20-11 09:50 AM
    To be fair, releasing the sales target would allow the retailer to be easily identified, so if the source is determined to protect their anonymity it would be foolish to release the actual sales goal. This doesn't mean the information provided is accurate, though.
    no, it just means the information is unquantifiable, as someone said if they missed 20million by 90% then hey, is 2million sales, if they missed 100,000 by 90% then yea its only 10,000 sales. thats the difference a factual basis would add to the discussion, it would give insight into two things a) the expected sales and b) the actual sales. without at least one of those figures its all writing with no meaning
    05-20-11 09:59 AM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD