Me quoting BGR ???? yup.
    Must say that I've kept reading Zach Epstein sometimes, while I couldn't ... well, you know who.

In full here : BlackBerry 10 details: No home button on BlackBerry 10 phones | BGR

Early glimpses at BlackBerry 10 revealed software that attempts to take a fresh look at the smartphone experience in some ways, but after our first look, we wondered if RIM was going far enough with its new OS. Now that we’re just weeks away from the BlackBerry 10 launch event, RIM appears to have started slowly showing users that BlackBerry 10 will, in fact, provide a unique user experience.
    The Flow interface negates the need for a home button in many respects. Like webOS did before it, Flow presents users with a series of minimized windows representing each open application. The result is a UI that lets users easily jump between apps without the need to return to a home screen between steps. Combined with gesture support, RIM may have indeed simplified the smartphone user experience in several key ways.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 01-08-13 at 12:25 PM. Reason: copy/paste error: wrong quote
    Cesare21, tryfe, Bobcat665 and 3 others like this.
    01-08-13 12:21 PM
    Heh heh... just validates what I've been trying to tell people for months.

It's a stretch to call the BB10 UI "earthshaking", but it's actually very usable. Maybe most importantly, it provides the best scheme for managing open apps that I've seen yet. That's the sort of thing that a user reads about and yawns, but when they actually use it for a couple of days it dawns on them that it actually makes a difference.

Same with the keyboard. Just looking at a demo, it's tempting to dismiss it as gimmicky, but when you actually USE it for a while you start to get that it's a genuine breakthrough.

The biggest problem with this is not that these are hard things to use at all, but that it will take a couple of days of use before many users actually understand the benefits. A quick demo in a store may not work for many. That's why I think early word-of-mouth is going to be a far more important marketing tool for this phone.
    JR A, redk, s0be and 22 others like this.
    01-08-13 12:45 PM
    I won't miss the Home button, but I will miss the way that hitting the Call End button always took me back out to the main menu, no matter how deep I was in an app or something.. I still wish the call keys were present on BB10 phones, to be honest.
    xiaohuaxing likes this.
    01-08-13 12:57 PM
    I won't miss the Home button, but I will miss the way that hitting the Call End button always took me back out to the main menu, no matter how deep I was in an app or something.. I still wish the call keys were present on BB10 phones, to be honest.
    The call end key was our home button, and that's been replaced by the bottom bezel motion.
    01-08-13 01:01 PM
    Swipe up : you're home
    01-08-13 01:02 PM
    Been using the Playbook for over a year now and am now so frustrated using my iPod (so severely demoted to basically just euchre now) and even my 9900. Almost feels as archaic as going to the tv to change the channel.
    01-08-13 02:27 PM
    Almost feels as archaic as going to the tv to change the channel.
    OMG that's like CAVEMAN.
    PJD642 likes this.
    01-08-13 03:03 PM
    Heh heh... just validates what I've been trying to tell people for months.

It's a stretch to call the BB10 UI "earthshaking", but it's actually very usable. Maybe most importantly, it provides the best scheme for managing open apps that I've seen yet. That's the sort of thing that a user reads about and yawns, but when they actually use it for a couple of days it dawns on them that it actually makes a difference.

Same with the keyboard. Just looking at a demo, it's tempting to dismiss it as gimmicky, but when you actually USE it for a while you start to get that it's a genuine breakthrough.

The biggest problem with this is not that these are hard things to use at all, but that it will take a couple of days of use before many users actually understand the benefits. A quick demo in a store may not work for many. That's why I think early word-of-mouth is going to be a far more important marketing tool for this phone.
    Probably one of the best, most honest interpretations of BB10 that i've read. People that think "ZOMG it's going to blow the competition away!!" are deluding themselves and everyone else. Fact is, as you put it, it'll be the little things about it, that over time, will make people compelled to use it. At least, if it's going to be successful, that's how I envision it happening.
    01-08-13 03:08 PM
    wow, thanks for reminding me that we used to have to do that,,, anyone up for some pong??? (if your thinking of a drinking game you've already lost... )

Almost feels as archaic as going to the tv to change the channel.
    OMG that's like CAVEMAN.
    bbmtna likes this.
    01-08-13 03:17 PM
    "Why exclude the home button?*Halliwell says that BlackBerry 10 is all about �moving forward, not backward".

Best quote of the entire article. Says a lot about the company if you think about it. BB10 is like a giant metaphor for RIM moving forward, because, literally, you can only go forward in BB10, where as in iOS or android it seems like they're always going two steps forward and one step back. Amazing how simple a phrase can feel like a giant smack to the face. I can almost here the tag line now..."BlackBerry 10, always moving forward".
    01-08-13 04:08 PM
    "Why exclude the home button?*Halliwell says that BlackBerry 10 is all about “moving forward, not backward".

Best quote of the entire article. Says a lot about the company if you think about it. BB10 is like a giant metaphor for forward moving progress, because, literally, you can only go forward in BB10, where as in iOS or android it seems like they're always going two steps forward and one step back. Amazing how simple a phrase can feel like a giant smack to the face. I can almost here the tag line now..."BB10, always moving forward".
    LOL. But iOS and Android are still making net progress forward?

LOL.
    01-08-13 04:12 PM
    Only one way left to go then lol I think they've about hit their peak. Its a fad, theyre cool and trendy. Eventually the magic will dissolve, and blackberry will still be there doing what its always done. Blackberry isn't a fad, its not cool or trendy, but its there and it works.
    01-08-13 04:20 PM
    Just thought it showed a lot of clout to make a statement like that lol It shows that they're ready to put up a fight
    01-08-13 04:23 PM
    RIM’s first two next-generation smartphones, the BlackBerry Z10 and BlackBerry X10, are expected to be unveiled alongside the BlackBerry 10 OS on January 30th.
    Wait a minute........who said anything about the Blackberry X10 being released at the same time? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Would be exciting if it was, but from the developers standpoint, there are currently no apps targeted for it, so it would be silly to release the phone right now.
    01-08-13 04:30 PM
    Wait a minute........who said anything about the Blackberry X10 being released at the same time? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Would be exciting if it was, but from the developers standpoint, there are currently no apps targeted for it, so it would be silly to release the phone right now.
    Unveiled != released
    Superfly_FR and Bobcat665 like this.
    01-08-13 04:33 PM
    Probably one of the best, most honest interpretations of BB10 that i've read. People that think "ZOMG it's going to blow the competition away!!" are deluding themselves and everyone else. Fact is, as you put it, it'll be the little things about it, that over time, will make people compelled to use it. At least, if it's going to be successful, that's how I envision it happening.
    The good news about THAT is that it speaks to how well designed the BB10 UI actually is. It isn't what I'd call flashy, or that it looks like some kind of whole new paradigm, but I'm not sure that it would be a smart idea anyway--that could stand to turn off a lot of people.

I think the highest compliment that I can pay to BB10 is that I'm finding it more usable and consistent than I expected it to be.
    Bobcat665 and Snap51 like this.
    01-08-13 04:34 PM
    Unveiled != released
    Why would you unveil a phone that you're not releasing yet? If they haven't released it yet, it's because it's not finished. If it's not finished, they're not going to unveil it.

If they are not fully releasing the keyboard version, then the most I'd expect is "we'll have the keyboard version released in 2 months" or something. But not actually show anything?

Surely you don't want to detract the steam of having people wait again for the next phone.
    01-08-13 04:50 PM
    Why would you unveil a phone that you're not releasing yet? If they haven't released it yet, it's because it's not finished. If it's not finished, they're not going to unveil it.

If they are not fully releasing the keyboard version, then the most I'd expect is "we'll have the keyboard version released in 2 months" or something. But not actually show anything?

Surely you don't want to detract the steam of having people wait again for the next phone.
    I'm pretty sure it has been established that both phones will be revealed on January's 30 but the qwerty version will be released shortly after the touchscreen. That's what is happening no matter what kind of logic you try and use to prove its not happening or stupid.
    Bobcat665 and jimpilot like this.
    01-08-13 05:12 PM
    The good news about THAT is that it speaks to how well designed the BB10 UI actually is. It isn't what I'd call flashy, or that it looks like some kind of whole new paradigm, but I'm not sure that it would be a smart idea anyway--that could stand to turn off a lot of people.

I think the highest compliment that I can pay to BB10 is that I'm finding it more usable and consistent than I expected it to be.
    Do you use/have a dev Alpha?
    01-08-13 05:59 PM
    Do you use/have a dev Alpha?
    Yes, I have a Dev Alpha A that I got when I attended the Vancouver Jam in August. The system software has been updated a couple of times, and the current level is very close to complete.
    01-08-13 06:29 PM
    ^ THIS Remember, we're on BGR ...
    But I must say this is pretty honest.

----

While my personal learning curve lasted under 10 minutes (the time it took me yesterday -due to lack of usage- to write a 5 lines note and the discovery of how to print it then send it by mail to 5 recipients on an iPad) with a PlayBook and under 5 on my DevAlpha , it may take some time to others to get the UI gesture. But where I somehow disagree is that it is something that I've always noticed with a new device/OS.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 01-09-13 at 10:50 AM.
    01-09-13 01:11 AM
    I forgot that swiping up is just like going 'home.' I already really like this on my PlayBook, and when I'm on my iPod touch, trying to get back to an open app, I've caught myself swiping up like I do on the PlayBook, to get to that carousel. . . BB10, please hurry!!
    01-09-13 01:32 AM
    Comments are pretty positive as well, which is a good thing for a blog like BGR, just that Jenifer girl who keeps ******** RIM but she doesn't have a clue...
    01-09-13 02:09 AM
    The gesture UI, after you use it even for a short time, makes you realize you can be so much faster at navigating and without even thinking you come to demand it from everything else.

If I go to a shop and pick up an android tablet I can't help myself doing an edge to edge swipe or a swipe up. The PlayBook has conditioned me to do it.

Incredible I know, but having to locate a home button, physical or touch seems like such an inconvenience now. Swiping up equates to a huge home button that you just can't miss.
    djrupey likes this.
    01-09-13 03:02 AM
    Incredible I know, but having to locate a home button, physical or touch seems like such an inconvenience now. Swiping up equates to a huge home button that you just can't miss.
    I sometimes hit the home button by accident when I'm typing and trying to hit the space bar. It drives me nuts. I can't wait to try out BB10.
    01-09-13 03:08 AM
50 12