Idiocy doesn't have to be funded.
    One should rather view BGR as a place of comedy and sarcasm.
    If you want truth search elsewhere.
    01-31-13 08:32 AM
    But BB10 supports google's CardDav protocol, so BB10 user shouldn't care if google drops EAS
    That is used for contact data

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    bobauckland likes this.
    01-31-13 09:32 AM
    That is used for contact data

This is the problem, people with no idea of what CardDav or other protocols mean are saying it will be fine.
    I'd be happy if the high ups guaranteed it yesterday but there was zero mention of email, BIS, compression etc, not even a mention.
    That's just awful, at least give us some clarity.
    We're supposed to take a blind leap of faith with the Z10, that's unfair.
    I took the leap with the PlayBook, never again, not for a RIM product.
    01-31-13 09:41 AM
    There�s just an instantly noticeable different feel compared to the iPhone 5, Nexus 4 and other phones when you�re using the display. Your finger glides over the aforementioned smartphone screens, whereas it�s sometimes bizarrely difficult to flick or scroll on the Z10. The best way to describe it is that there is literally friction against your finger when you try to swipe.
    1. Open the box. 2. Remove the device from the box. 3. Remove the protective film from screen and gently wipe the screen with a piece of cloth or even tissue paper. 4. Enjoy the best device on the market.
    spike12 likes this.
    01-31-13 09:53 AM
    I'm at work so I skimmed through some of that stuff. And its obvious he's a fanboy. And though he makes some valid points he straight up lies in others. The screen resolution is a perfect example. The screen is alright but other pack more pixels?!?! What is he talking about. It has more pixels than most phones... Including the iPhone5. I wasn't aware that 1080p phones were the norm?!?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    spike12 likes this.
    01-31-13 10:24 AM
    BlackBerry Z10 Review | BGR

This didn�t only affect Research In Motion obviously, it affected the entire smartphone industry forever, but it hit BlackBerry hard for a number of reasons. One of them is that the BlackBerry hadn�t actually changed all that much since it was first released. It really was the same phone, just with different things bolted onto it, like a web browser, phone calling, text messaging and so on.

Is this guy for real.
    I thought he was talking about Z10 , NOT the iphone.
    Until i get my hands on a Z10 and use it and have an open mind.
    Will ask a lot of questions, then make my choice.
    01-31-13 10:39 AM
    Old habits die hard I suppose...
    BGR was just trying to rope a dope in giving a rare not bashing piece prior to yesterday.

These tools and trolls really will never change.
    spike12 likes this.
    01-31-13 10:41 AM
    I'm at work so I skimmed through some of that stuff. And its obvious he's a fanboy. And though he makes some valid points he straight up lies in others. The screen resolution is a perfect example. The screen is alright but other pack more pixels?!?! What is he talking about. It has more pixels than most phones... Including the iPhone5. I wasn't aware that 1080p phones were the norm?!?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    I was thinking the same thing. The resolution and pixels are higher than his dang iPhone. Either he did not get any basic math education or he simply cannot compute the fact it IS higher than his dang iPhone and has to lie about it to the rest of the world.
    He may have some points about some things, but one should not lie about facts and being a ****** about other things.
    01-31-13 10:47 AM
    Everything I've read has said the same thing about notifications. They'll figure it out just like Apple eventually did.
    01-31-13 11:02 AM
    Everything I've read has said the same thing about notifications. They'll figure it out just like Apple eventually did.
    Just curious but what does everyone think the red led flashing is? Seems the whole point is the LED flashes you peek into the inbox, see who sent it and the subject then decide if you want to respond or go back to what you were doing. Same thing they have been showing of for months now.
    01-31-13 11:06 AM
    I wouldn't want notifications appearing on screen, interrupting whatever I am doing or presenting at the moment at all, especially if receive many of them. This is a super connected device, and there will be many things happening. BBs have a LED to discretely let you know there is something new without interrupting what you're doing at the moment at all. That LED you also see even when the screen is off and device is on the table. They have figured it out already!
    01-31-13 11:10 AM
    I wouldn't want notifications appearing on screen, interrupting whatever I am doing or presenting at the moment at all, especially if receive many of them. This is a super connected device, and there will be many things happening. BBs have a LED to discretely let you know there is something new without interrupting what you're doing at the moment at all. That LED you also see even when the screen is off and device is on the table. They have figured it out already!
    I'm confused...how does a message on the status bar interrupt what you're doing? It's not like receiving a status bar message locks up your phone and makes it unusable until it goes away. You also have the option on both iOS and Android to make it go away completely, just show who it's from or show who it's from and the actual message. Choices are a good thing and I imagine this is something BB will add down the road with am update. For a business phone, the lack of this feature seems to me to be an oversight.

mikeo007 likes this.
    01-31-13 11:40 AM
    I'm confused...how does a message on the status bar interrupt what you're doing? It's not like receiving a status bar message locks up your phone and makes it unusable until it goes away. You also have the option on both iOS and Android to make it go away completely, just show who it's from or show who it's from and the actual message. Choices are a good thing and I imagine this is something BB will add down the road with am update. For a business phone, the lack of this feature seems to me to be an oversight.

Again isn't that what the "peek" gesture is for? Personally I would like to see more detail in the lock screen. The only thing I have seen is it tells you what type of message is there.
    southlander likes this.
    01-31-13 11:47 AM
    Again isn't that what the "peek" gesture is for? Personally I would like to see more detail in the lock screen. The only thing I have seen is it tells you what type of message is there.
    What I'm saying is that with the BB, when your LED goes off, you have no idea if it's a text, email, Facebook message etc...therefore you have to "peek" just to see what type of message it was that you got. Just doesn't seem very intuitive/convenient for a supposedly message-centric phone compared to the competition.

01-31-13 11:52 AM
    What I'm saying is that with the BB, when your LED goes off, you have no idea if it's a text, email, Facebook message etc...therefore you have to "peek" just to see what type of message it was that you got. Just doesn't seem very intuitive/convenient for a supposedly message-centric phone compared to the competition.

Can't say one way or the other if it is inconvenient won't be able to play with for a month. I think the first gesture from the app before going into the Hub could show detail.
    01-31-13 11:59 AM
    Can't say one way or the other if it is inconvenient won't be able to play with for a month. I think the first gesture from the app before going into the Hub could show detail.
    From all demos I've seen that first gesture just shows how many of each notification you have...shows no info on who they are from or the content.

01-31-13 12:36 PM
    From all demos I've seen that first gesture just shows how many of each notification you have...shows no info on who they are from or the content.

I saw the same thing but it seems that would be an ideal place to update.

personally I hate the Apple notification so I wouldn't want to see that style implemented.
    01-31-13 12:44 PM
    So you obviously don't like the current notification setup with BBOS7 then I take it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    01-31-13 01:37 PM

Are the notification sounds customisable or do we know yet? If the sounds are customizable then I personally wouldn't need to see the icon to know what I got for a message. My Gnex is set up for custom tones as well as custom LEDs.. So I would hope that BB10 would be similar..

01-31-13 01:40 PM
    Are the notification sounds customisable or do we know yet? If the sounds are customizable then I personally wouldn't need to see the icon to know what I got for a message. My Gnex is set up for custom tones as well as custom LEDs.. So I would hope that BB10 would be similar..

I know that the LED is not customizable...I would hope that at least the tones are.

Another HUB issue I see as being a problem is if you have several Facebook and twitter notifications, but want to peek at an email...that will be impossible without actually going all the way in to the hub. It looks to me like there is only room for about 6-7 lines of text/emails/Facebook notifications...if they are used then anything before that will not be able to be peeked at. Strange that BB didn't think of these issues beforehand.

01-31-13 01:57 PM
    So you obviously don't like the current notification setup with BBOS7 then I take it?

Do you know what you're talking about? I have a BBOS7 as well and other than "no peeking" the "no interruptions" and LED behaviour is the same! And, no, I do not want the status bar sitting there all the time in all apps (and it isn't a rule in BBOS7 either, this depends on context and use case). I want all of my screen available for what I am doing at the moment. Stop applying other's idea's as the best solution because that is what you got used to. You obviously need to try it to understand, but to each their own... The point is that it is a *trivial* single flow gesture to peek and see multiple messages if I wan't to. And I may not. Also, I don't need to wake up the device or unlock it to see if there are any new messages. That's what the LED is for. BB gives me enough information and allows me to choose at any moment without having to go into settings to permanently (or temporarily) enable or disable notifications.

Ultimately:

1. If you rarely receive notifications then most of the time you won't see them at the moment they come anyway (unless you are otherwise glued to your device 24/7). In this case: LED=king because you can see whether there are new messages any time without touching the device at all.

2. If you receive a constant stream of messages, they'd be constantly interrupting your work. So you don't want them there. Just an indicator that there are NEW messages (different from unread - I have thousands of unread messages) is perfect. You get to see and choose.
    01-31-13 02:10 PM
    Do you know what you're talking about? I have a BBOS7 as well and other than "no peeking" the "no interruptions" and LED behaviour is the same! And, no, I do not want the status bar sitting there all the time in all apps (and it isn't a rule in BBOS7 either, this depends on context and use case). I want all of my screen available for what I am doing at the moment. Stop applying other's idea's as the best solution because that is what you got used to. You obviously need to try it to understand, but to each their own... The point is that it is a *trivial* single flow gesture to peek and see multiple messages if I wan't to. And I may not. Also, I don't need to wake up the device or unlock it to see if there are any new messages. That's what the LED is for. BB gives me enough information and allows me to choose at any moment without having to go into settings to permanently (or temporarily) enable or disable notifications.

Ultimately:

1. If you rarely receive notifications then most of the time you won't see them at the moment they come anyway (unless you are otherwise glued to your device 24/7). In this case: LED=king because you can see whether there are new messages any time without touching the device at all.

2. If you receive a constant stream of messages, they'd be constantly interrupting your work. So you don't want them there. Just an indicator that there are NEW messages (different from unread - I have thousands of unread messages) is perfect. You get to see and choose.
    I must be confused. You made it sound like receiving a notification icon is now a hassle and interrupts what your doing. I assumed this was already the case with BBOS7 as per this screen shot :

Of course having an LED is useful for seeing you have a new message.. But as per current phones and current BBOS7 phones.. So is having a notification icon..

01-31-13 02:31 PM

Sure you do. Assign a separate notification sound to each message type. That's how I do it now and have for many years.
    01-31-13 02:39 PM

No traditional BlackBerry has the hub and can do the peek gesture. Keep in mind this is version 1.0. Certainly there will be apps and perhaps even changes to the OS to allow for those that want more traditional notifications along the top -- probably in the form of toasts I would think.

I like the current BB notifications. But then the idea of a clean interface and peeking or *not* based on the sound I hear -- I like that even better, in theory.
    01-31-13 02:45 PM
    I'm not going to try to read all the above, or the BGR post (shudder), but I'll just post a little screenshot to address the idea that there ought to be a status bar visible in all apps at all times, which I think from a usability perspective is a bad idea. Someone mentioned the top-corner swipe on the PlayBook, and surmised it's similar in the BB10 phones. Here's a screenshot showing what happens when I'm in a certain app and I bottom-swipe but don't complete the gesture. I just slide my thumb up the screen about half an inch and you see on the left icons showing various new notifications (1 new Facebook, 1 new BBM, 2 new emails) and the top status bar with all the info you'd want. When I've seen what I need to, I either slide my thumb back down and release (restoring the app) or I slide it over to the right and the Hub is revealed with all the various messages including those new ones clearly marked as unread.

BGR on BB10-img_00000052.jpg
    01-31-13 02:57 PM
78 1234