I read the review and I do not believe it was biased at all. He did a thorough review and seems accurate and the same as the verge review. What do you want them to say? It completely blows iOS and android out of the water?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    01-30-13 08:53 PM
    Aside from some obvious bias..he does bring up some valid concerns..namely with the Hub and notifications, call and speaker quality (which is also mentioned in the Engadget review), as well as the screen material. Also..no status bar in apps seems bizarre to me. Not being able to see the time or battery % would be a big turnoff imo. Of course he is biased, but when certain things get brought up in various reviews..one begins to wonder.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2
    Even Maria Bartiromo ended her newscast this evening saying she wasn't going to give up her 2 phone setup after seeing the new phone, and she said she really wanted to. I guess we have to respect her system
    01-30-13 08:55 PM
    the opposite can be said about the status bar... Having to see a status bar all the time is annoying. Does one really need to know the time constantly or even the battery life. Let me see more screen real-estate for the app. All I need to do is swipe up from the bottom to peek at the time, its fast & easy. Same goes with bread crumbs, its just wasted space.

He also mentions some of the things CB found and reviewed. But as usual its his tone that offends.
    100% agree with dentynefire
    spike12 likes this.
    01-30-13 09:01 PM
    Funny how none of us have the phone but arguing how wrong the reviewers are.

Villain, brucep1 and anon5398027 like this.
    01-30-13 09:15 PM
    Funny how none of us have the phone but arguing how wrong the reviewers are.

watching video evidence from other reviewers being disputed in articles by the usual suspects does not require a device in hand
    01-30-13 09:17 PM
    I have to say, the review started off reasonably well and there were a couple of valid points aside from the apparent grease catastrophe (seriously, wtf). The point where it went completely off the rails in terms of objectivity, validity and thoroughness was the OS portion. While the thinly veiled attempt at NOT comparing everything to the perfect iPhone was a good effort, the whole OS review was the direct result of a close-minded individual trying to BS his way through a foreign system. He could have simply stated at the beginning that he found the Hub, Peek and Flow too confusing and therefore unworthy. He also blatantly made errors in terms of capabilities the most glaring of which was the push email/calendar error. I showed it to my gf who has been an iPhone user for years and she said 'Even I know that a BlackBerry will have push, that is like you reviewing the iPhone and saying it comes without a web browser'. Also can look at the FAIL in his understanding of BlackBerry Protect, Desktop Manager, backing up and restoring, use of BIS, etc etc.

What is encouraging though is reading the comments posted on BGR. It seems that even BGR (iOS) regulars were questioning the quality and accuracy of the review....should tell you something.

Another gripe (not necessarily limited to BGR):
    Several sites complaining about the lack of apps and/or quality of apps. This review itself listed a handful of popular apps that weren't available on BB10. How many of those were available and/or would be available for iPhone when it launched, hmmm? Is anyone else choking on the hypocrisy? I have no doubt that there are a lot of riff raff apps poorly ported etc but again it's day one, be patient.

Glossing over (or omitting altogether) other important details, like..ummm I dunno....Balance? When writing a review under the pretense of objectivity and accuracy, you have to at least attempt to review all aspects of the device. I think in general, this review said more about the motives and values of the reviewer rather than the Z10.

Speaking of hypocrisy, having an iPhone user trying to rip a BlackBerry about anything to do with notifications makes me want to bash someone.

Oh F**k it, I am going to bed.

Peace
    Last edited by metz9444; 01-30-13 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Fact Checking
    01-30-13 10:13 PM
    I read the review and I do not believe it was biased at all. He did a thorough review and seems accurate and the same as the verge review. What do you want them to say? It completely blows iOS and android out of the water?

There are common threads running through most of the reviews and sadly the overall picture is one of mediocrity - even in some cases, where they have give 4/5, they have said that it is too little too late and there is nothing that will entice anyone already using either android or iphone to swop and will have a limited niche in the corporate sector.
    01-31-13 01:02 AM
    There are common threads running through most of the reviews and sadly the overall picture is one of mediocrity - even in some cases, where they have give 4/5, they have said that it is too little too late and there is nothing that will entice anyone already using either android or iphone to swop and will have a limited niche in the corporate sector.
    Unfortunately, I have to agree. Without push email and bis, what exactly is the compelling reason to buy a bb10? At least with my Android phone, I could find a good imap push client... Does one even exist for bb10?! *ugh*
    01-31-13 01:25 AM
    Unfortunately, I have to agree. Without push email and bis, what exactly is the compelling reason to buy a bb10? At least with my Android phone, I could find a good imap push client... Does one even exist for bb10?! *ugh*
    This is where the BGR article is wrong. BB10 will have push email using Exchange Active Sync through a regular data plan, just like an iphone and Android.

You can elect to have your Gmail account set up as push or pull.

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-10-review

E-mail is the heart and soul of BlackBerry. It's easy to set up, and compliant with many standards, including Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync, POP, and IMAP. The major consumer web-based e-mail services like Gmail, Windows Live Mail, and Yahoo! are all supported, too. From the Hub, open the right-side menu, hit Settings, then Add Account at the bottom. If you want ActiveSync for your Google Apps account, you'll have to drill down into advanced settings at this stage, otherwise it will default to a slower IMAP sync. From there, punch in your log-in information, and BB10 will figure out all the necessary settings. You can always drill into the Advanced menu if you need to do some manual tweaking.
    01-31-13 01:37 AM
    push imap... Thank God! Looks like I was bgr'd!
    01-31-13 01:48 AM
    BGR was bought over by Apple before Blackberry 10 launch.
    01-31-13 01:53 AM
    So, I'm thinkin' : #TooDumbForBlackBerry10?
    01-31-13 02:12 AM

BGR saying that BB10 can't do push email is like RIM reviewing the iPhone 5 and saying it does not work with itunes. Geller is either patently dishonest or one daft imbecile.
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-31-13 04:42 AM
    Also..no status bar in apps seems bizarre to me. Not being able to see the time or battery % would be a big turnoff imo.
    It's one of the fundamentals of the BB10 U.I concepts : "Content is king".
    One can discuss about it, but it is persistant across core apps and also (normally) monitored at apps submission/validation.

https://developer.blackberry.com/dev...rinciples.html
    UI guidelines - Key principle : Content is king

What it is

It's shining the spotlight on what people really care about. Let it be front and center, with nothing to obscure or clutter the scene. Throw the shutters wide open and let people enjoy the view.

Why it matters

Because people care about content - pictures, messages, and updates. Create an experience where content dominates. The options on the screen should stay out of the way but still give users freedom of control. This is especially important for BlackBerry smartphones with a physical keyboard because the screen is smaller than all-touch BlackBerry smartphones.

Examples

In the camera, the content is front and center. The most important action is just a tap away, making it incredibly easy for users to take pictures over and over again.
    Display pictures in the full screen size. Let a tap on the screen display an action bar with the most common actions for the picture. The action bar disappears after a few seconds of inactivity, bringing the picture back to the fore.
    In the calendar, UI components such as pickers and drop-down lists expand inline. Users maintain their context but still have the option to minimize or maximize the amount of information on the screen.

01-31-13 04:53 AM
    That doesn't surprise me. I think if this phone was released last year the reviews would be stellar. Everyone is placing so much weight on this device in regards to the saving grace for BB that it never had a fair chance. People say it looks like and iPhone etc....of course it looks similar, any rectangular touch screen device will look similar good lord, short of any new touch screen being released with arms that give you a massage as you type, it will look similar. I fear that the consumer likeability will prove the BB10 awesomeness not the tech bloggers. Make no mistake, the z10 was set up to fail well before yesterday.
    Last edited by metz9444; 01-31-13 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Auto-correct
    01-31-13 06:06 AM
    As far the display, it’s a 4.2-inch screen with a resolution of 1280 x 768 pixels. It looks good, but not great compared to other high-end smartphones that are packing a boatload more pixels than the Z10.
    Is this correct? I thought the Z10 had one of the higher ppi.
    01-31-13 06:54 AM
    Is this correct? I thought the Z10 had one of the higher ppi.
    Z10 ppi is greater than an iphone5. Dunno what the other guy was musing.
    01-31-13 06:59 AM
    Do you own a Playbook? Blackberry decided to not let those icons muck up what you really want to see. If you need to see those things, a simple swipe down from the right corner and they are all there and will stay there until you swipe up. So you have the choice to display those things or not. I am pretty certain it works the same way on BB10.

The fact that this person says they've used a Playbook, and yet does not know this says all you need to know to take him seriously or not.

**Actually you don't need to swipe up to get rid of the status icons. Just tap anywhere on the screen and they go back into hiding.
    Yep that's what I was thinking -- there is an OS wide gesture on the PlayBook to peek at the top status bar. No problem there.
    01-31-13 07:00 AM
    call and speaker quality
    From The Verge:

"As I expected, call quality and general audio output (both earpiece and speaker) on the Z10 performed excellently. The sound was loud and clear with no distortion, and made talking on the phone (something I generally try to avoid) pleasant when it happened. I can't exactly recommend listening to music casually through the speakers on the Z10, but if you must, the sound reproduction is decent enough to hear most details.

Data was no slouch compared to other AT&T LTE devices I tested, and both cellular and Wi-Fi antennas seemed to latch onto networks easily and not let go without a fight. That's not a surprise, but it's good to know that BlackBerry is still at the top of its game when it comes to the basics."
    samuelwhatshisface likes this.
    01-31-13 07:04 AM
    i don't see one response to this topic that actually addresses whether or not what he's saying is true. he hates on the web browser and from what i can see in kevins videos this seems to be accurate. the screen resolution is underwhelming, also noted by kevin, the camera pictures are indeed the worst of the comparisons, also done by kevin and there does indeed seem to be a lot of redundancy in the "flow". that being said let me add to the point.

i want a z10, i switched to blackberry from 3 iphones prior, eventually going to android for the past few years full time. when i see the videos here it reminds me of how much i loved using a blackberry. i loved the keyboard, unified messaging, the LED notifications, and bbm. over the years of using blackberry i had many friends that used bbm. as kevin notes in his video, this is arguably reason enough to get a z10, the problem is bbm is useless without contacts, and from a time period a couple years ago when my bbm list had probably 30 close friends on it, to just 3 weeks ago the last person that would have been on it got a galaxy s3, even if i get a z10, bbm will sit there useless, i can't feel but maybe they should have integrated other account systems into it, like gtalk, etc. most of those friends/contacts from bbm migrated over to android, some to iOS, the point here is that this has become something that doesn't matter. we all use google+ as a bbm replacement, it does groups, it also does video chat, and it also does group video chat. not only would i have a hard time convincing people who held onto blackberry for years that ended up leaving for android or iOS to come back, i would actually be asking them to lose functionality.
    nevermind the app situation. i could get by with some app lacking on a personal note, but what good is having a great messaging platform if i can't use it? i know this post is carrying on and maybe a bit off topic, but i realize as i'm typing this, that this has to be something that has been discussed in meetings at RIM.

for that reason i am underwhelmed that this offering isn't better. the phone does seem smooth but numbers don't lie. i had a 1.5ghz dual core phone almost 2 years ago. let me reiterate, i want to get this phone, but it's like blackberry doesn't want me to. my camera right now can not only take better pictures than this new z10, it does panorama and even "globe" shots where i can spin around and send a picture to a friend and it sends them a 3d picture they can interact with and actually move around in. if that isn't a great feature for business i don't know what is, especially real estate people, or even just casual fun.

again my point was that nobody has addressed whether what bgr said is true or not. put aside the fact he's a raging fanboy and realize that RIM gave him room to dog bb10. rim should not have allowed there to be room. for years we all said if rim doesn't pull out all the stops they're done. well i'm not convinced they did. this community seems to be starting to settle into a "good enough" mindset. and for people who will use nothing else, this is going to be an incredible upgrade. my problem is that as much as i want to try the new keyboard and flow ui and new bbm features, i would be downgrading functionality and in some cases quality. i'd be purchasing an expensive device that doesn't do as much as my device i purchased 2 years ago. and that my friends, is sad. i find myself saying what i dreaded most. my biggest fear for blackberry was that the delays would kill it, and now i can't help but say: this would have been a fantastic phone 1-2 years ago. as it stands right now, this is a decent start.
    Last edited by katiepea; 01-31-13 at 07:47 AM.
    bobauckland, Admorris and pillswoj like this.
    01-31-13 07:23 AM
    Plus, regardless of whether its possible to set email to push on the Z10, if the default settings are set to 15 minute polling, thats what most users will use. This is a BlackBerry problem, not a BGR problem.
    Email on the PlayBook, and from the sounds of things the Z10, is a step back from legacy BBOS. Steps backwards are steps backwards, thats not a positive.
    01-31-13 07:37 AM
    This is where the BGR article is wrong. BB10 will have push email using Exchange Active Sync through a regular data plan, just like an iphone and Android.

You can elect to have your Gmail account set up as push or pull.

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-10-review
    You do realize Google is dropping Exchange Active Sync don't you?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    01-31-13 07:51 AM

i was just about to reply with this. it's a real shame, i can't believe i'm saying this, because a year ago i would have told you they need to move as far away from the legacy os as possible, but i think they moved too far, the fact that email will be extremely crippled on a blackberry is truly mind boggling. and it seems that it's really because rim just couldn't get it going with qnx properly.
    01-31-13 07:59 AM
    i was just about to reply with this. it's a real shame, i can't believe i'm saying this, because a year ago i would have told you they need to move as far away from the legacy os as possible, but i think they moved too far, the fact that email will be extremely crippled on a blackberry is truly mind boggling. and it seems that it's really because rim just couldn't get it going with qnx properly.
    I did read this morning that Google delayed their kill of EAS on Windows Phone until July. How nice of them...haha

01-31-13 08:01 AM

But BB10 supports google's CardDav protocol, so BB10 user shouldn't care if google drops EAS
    01-31-13 08:23 AM
78 1234