So I know there has been a tone of threads both whining about the demise of the playbook, and also talking about what tablet you're all going to buy next etc. I certainly do not want to rehash all that but instead look to what future there is for BlackBerry in the tablet space.

I am a believer that BlackBerry should have a tablet product even if it is at a loss, if for no other reason to keep the loyal from buying a competitor tablet and then deciding, once familiar with the operating system to pair it with a matching phone.. BUT the company have been pretty clear that at least for now, that isn't happening. There is no new tablet on the horizon.. I've accepted this for a while now, but still I've been reluctant to buy a new tablet.. I've entertained the idea of a surface pro 2, or maybe a galaxy note pro.. but neither being perfect and both being fairly expensive I don't want to make the wrong choice.. mainly, I don't want to make the opposite choice to the one I hope BlackBerry is making.

Confused? Allow me elaborate..

We know there is a focus on software. We know that while there is no intention to exit the hardware business at least when it comes to devices, pushing new software initiatives is becoming increasingly important to BlackBerry. We heard a few months back some pretty vague and inconclusive words about how BlackBerry software could some day make its way to Android and iOS devices..

My hope for the immediate future (accepting but not agreeing with that fact that they won't build a new tablet of their own) is for BlackBerry to endorse a competitor tablet by way of software. Basically what I mean by that is either the launch of Windows 8 or Android Bridge app (or both) that would allow me to purchase said tablet, launch the blackberry app and then have access to my BlackBerry 10 device. I'd like full access to the hub complete with email, sms, bbm, hub attachments and whatever else I have in there, I want to be able to access files from the device memory and SD card, the very useful 'open on function' from the phone for starters. A slightly more lofty request might be the ability to access apps installed on the phone from the tablet, but primarily what would be most important would be the ability to use the always on bridge data connection without need to connect and disconnect bluetooth tethering.

Thoughts? Would you buy a particular brand of non BlackBerry tablet because it had access to BlackBerry services and/or paired with your BlackBerry 10 device better then other tablets on the market?
    Toodeurep and Ecm like this.
    04-08-14 02:31 PM
    I think what you've laid out would be a next best thing to a BB10 tablet and the availability of bridge software running on a tablet made by some company other than BlackBerry would certainly influence my purchase decision.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 03:26 PM
    I broke down yesterday morning and bought a galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition.

It's a great tablet. Lightning fast.. screen is super impressive.. does tones of great stuff.. in relation to what's out there I'm happy with the decision I've made thus far.. BUT I must say everything I try to do on it just reinforces how much I love BlackBerry 10. The note 10.1 is light years ahead of what my playbook could do (keeping in mind it was 4 years old) but not how it does it...

I can't count the amount of times I've tried to swipe the screen to wake it up.. Why doesn't it do that? I'm touching it.. Clearly I want it on.. why do I have to find a button? Closing an app.. why can't I just swipe it away.. seriously I have to hit the home button, and then press and hold the home button again to bring up the multitasking menu and then press and hold the app and remove from list or swipe it away from there? 4 steps to close an app? I must be missing something with that one..thats insane!

What else.. oh! During initial setup it asked me for my Facebook credentials and it synced a bunch of contacts and photos into the native apps.. great.. but then I went to open the Facebook app and I'm not signed in.. had to sign in separately to the Facebook app even though I've already added Facebook as an account to the tablet? So inefficient!

The auto correct! is driving me insane!! I keep trying to type out my email address which starts with my lastname.firstname it won't let me do it.. every time I type last name. It removes the period and capitalizes the first letter of the name. Over and over and over. It won't learn that I don't want that. AND when it happens and I backspace it doesn't change back. I've got to manually edit the word back to the way I typed it in the first place! That's crazy!

I know these might sound like petty things to some of you. But combined it's just a wakeup call on the things we take for granted on BlackBerry. Namely the gestures and the efficiency that entails.

I hope I made the right decision.. I hope BlackBerry comes out with some software I can use to improve my productivity on this tablet and I hope that some day BlackBerry releases a tablet that can match the performance of this note but give me the work flow and efficency of BlackBerry 10!

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    Ecm likes this.
    04-13-14 03:38 PM
    I think that's the only way I would purchase another tablet, besides BlackBerry making one. After the whole legacy device release, who knows what Chen's going to pull out of his hat next.

Posted via CB10
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    04-13-14 07:54 PM
    Last summer I opted for a Samsung Galaxy Note 8" tablet along with my Z10. I am still holding out hope that we will see a new BB10 tablet sometime in the future.
    04-13-14 08:01 PM
    Exactly what I feel. I'm so reluctantly to buy any tablet out there because of this BlackBerry 10 OS with gestures and no home buttons. It is so frustrating to try out Windows 8.1 and don't mention anything about Android.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 09:10 PM
    I know what you're saying, they should probably get something going somehow, a bridge app for all. But with all the cloud service is it worth all the effort?

One thing, since I got the Q10, I barely have any bridge option, down to a limited bbm access and text messaging. But if I bridge my 9900 to the playbook I can use it to access files and do everything. The current bridge app for bb10 definitely needs work.
    04-13-14 09:54 PM