As a public service I would like to remind people that it is the silly season here at CrackBerry.

It seems to happen every summer.
    In the absence of hard facts from Blackberry the signal to noise ratio just gets ridiculous.
    Can anyone say with absolute certainty that the slider will run android?
    Can anyone say with absolute certainty that BB10 is done for?

I for one am not certain.

Blackberry shipping android and BB10 going down the tubes is just about the worst case scenario for many fans.
    So if some folks act out a bit, maybe show a bit of compassion... or not.
    Last edited by DrBoomBotz; 08-24-15 at 01:02 PM.
    08-24-15 12:49 PM
    I don't think even BlackBerry knows what the heck they're doing.

As someone else mentioned on this forum, Chen is just throwing s### at the wall to see what sticks. At this current pace, BlackBerry's consumer phone business will be a goner.
    08-24-15 12:56 PM
    As a public service I would like to remind people that is is the silly season here at CrackBerry.

It seems to happen every summer.
    In the absence of hard facts from Blackberry the signal to noise ratio just gets ridiculous.

I for one am not certain.

Blackberry shipping android and BB10 going down the tubes is just about the worst case scenario for many fans.
    So if some folks act out a bit, maybe show a bit of compassion... or not.
    I can say for a fact that BlackBerry isn't planning on anymore development in terms of updating the OS to Qt5. The fact that Qt5 support isn't coming and that Qt4.8 is EOL and no more bug fixes. That Qt5 support is on QNX, then BlackBerry 10 is done for.
    08-24-15 01:02 PM
    So, what's wrong with speculation? There are probably plenty of people here getting ready to upgrade their smartphone and will have to make a decision about whether to go for the new iPhone or wait for the slider. Some advance knowledge of what the device will be running and when it will show up would be useful.

As for BB10, there are plenty of people who are invested in the platform and probably want to do something other than wait for new devices or updates that may or may not show up.

When it's good news all it takes is one source to become fact around here but bad news has to be confirmed by an official BlackBerry announcement.
    techvisor and app_Developer like this.
    08-24-15 01:05 PM
    So, what's wrong with speculation?
    Nothing is wrong with speculation.
    Its what we do.
    techvisor likes this.
    08-24-15 01:21 PM
    The silly season starts on the first day of summer and lasts 365.25 days.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-15 01:23 PM
    I can say for a fact that BlackBerry isn't planning on anymore development in terms of updating the OS to Qt5. The fact that Qt5 support isn't coming and that Qt4.8 is EOL and no more bug fixes. That Qt5 support is on QNX, then BlackBerry 10 is done for.
    Can Blackberry not stay with Qt4.8 for a while?
    Can they cherry-pick patches for a while?

This is not a rhetorical question.
    I am asking you because I respect your opinion.
    08-24-15 01:24 PM

As someone else mentioned on this forum, Chen is just throwing s### at the wall to see what sticks. At this current pace, BlackBerry's consumer phone business will be a goner.
    Funny, I thought that BlackBerry's "consumer phone business" had disappeared long ago and the Android / Slider more seems to be the first attempt to gain some traction back.

It's been about "Enterprise" and "Software" for sometime now... The Android Slider is actually quite an interesting move considering their recent philosophy about targeting enterprise and becoming more of a software company. Now they are releasing hardware running with someone else's software.

What kind of fruit roll-ups will they come up with next?!
    08-24-15 01:52 PM

It's over if they stay the course anyway. One last Hail Mary with Android.

Of course nothing is known for sure, but the evidence seems to be piling up in favour of Android alone.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2339
    08-24-15 01:58 PM
    Getting pretty tired of hundreds of CB emails that are absolutely garbage in content and usefulness, just increasing post counts. Ignore doesn't prevent the email updates. A forum shouldn't be used like IRC. I'd bet there's a non-trivial effect on our phones battery dealing with hundreds of emails from CB a day.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-15 03:33 PM
    Although he's not always right, way too many bits of information in a short period of time from Evan Blass who is pretty much the number one tipper when it comes to mobile.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    08-24-15 03:47 PM
    It's possible that some individuals would know with absolute certainty whether the slider is running Android or whether BB10 is done for but knowing the fact as well as proving it to us is much more difficult.

For example, evleaks has leaked a bunch of info and pictures and, despite his more right than wrong history, many on Crackberry blindly dismiss him like what he says has no value at all.

Getting pretty tired of hundreds of CB emails that are absolutely garbage in content and usefulness, just increasing post counts. Ignore doesn't prevent the email updates. A forum shouldn't be used like IRC. I'd bet there's a non-trivial effect on our phones battery dealing with hundreds of emails from CB a day.

Posted via CB10
    You get/want email updates for Crackberry??
    08-24-15 03:55 PM
    It's possible that some individuals would know with absolute certainty whether the slider is running Android or whether BB10 is done for but knowing the fact as well as proving it to us is much more difficult.

For example, evleaks has leaked a bunch of info and folders and despite his more right than wrong history many on Crackberry blindly dismiss him.
    fair enough
    08-24-15 03:56 PM
    I don't know if bb10 is done, but it is a absolute certainty that the slider will run android. You can pretend that it's just a rumor, but those in the tech industry know it's a done deal.

All the signs point toward BlackBerry ending development of bb10 as well, but I am not as certain of that happening as of yet. BlackBerry may let bb10 die a slow natural death like they have for bbos in the event that the android slider is a success.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-15 04:08 PM
    Until the Slider is coming for sale ( officially ) with Android or Chen will announce that officially.... until then.....for me it still a rumor.

Maybe there are very good techboys/girls out there putting out these fake photos and videos.. and laughing their as ses off because the whole Crackberry forum is running wild!!!

beware the silly season-lincoln.jpg

Posted via my awesome Classic
    08-24-15 04:23 PM
    Can Blackberry not stay with Qt4.8 for a while?
    Can they cherry-pick patches for a while?

This is not a rhetorical question.
    I am asking you because I respect your opinion.
    No. If they stick with Qt4.8, the maintainers of Qt have closed all and any work on it. If there are any bugs, they will not be patched.
    So, the only way that native developers can work is to bypass all tools from BlackBerry and write pure Qt5 applications. You would have to use Qt Quick to write the apps, except that Qt Quick maintainers have announced that they have removed BlackBerry 10 support from because there were no maintainers (BlackBerry).

So native developers are stuck with what they have and that is it. No new development features. The writing is on the wall, BlackBerry wants to keep moving with QNX development (It supports and has been upgraded to Qt5) but has stopped BlackBerry 10 development.
    08-24-15 04:47 PM
    No. If they stick with Qt4.8, the maintainers of Qt have closed all and any work on it. If there are any bugs, they will not be patched.
    So, the only way that native developers can work is to bypass all tools from BlackBerry and write pure Qt5 applications. You would have to use Qt Quick to write the apps, except that Qt Quick maintainers have announced that they have removed BlackBerry 10 support from because there were no maintainers (BlackBerry).

So native developers are stuck with what they have and that is it. No new development features. The writing is on the wall, BlackBerry wants to keep moving with QNX development (It supports and has been upgraded to Qt5) but has stopped BlackBerry 10 development.
    That is what I mean they can stay where they are and possibly cherry pick security patches.
    No?
    08-24-15 04:49 PM
    Until the Slider is coming for sale ( officially ) with Android or Chen will announce that officially.... until then.....for me it still a rumor.

Maybe there are very good techboys/girls out there putting out these fake photos and videos.. and laughing their as ses off because the whole Crackberry forum is running wild!!!

Posted via my awesome Classic
    If it a rumor and they are sticking with BlackBerry 10, not updating to Qt5 shows that they are mismanaging BlackBerry 10 OS.
    08-24-15 04:54 PM
    I don't know if bb10 is done, but it is a absolute certainty that the slider will run android. You can pretend that it's just a rumor, but those in the tech industry know it's a done deal.
    I'm fairly confident that there is a Blackberry slider floating around with Android somewhere and it'll likely be released; but, one scenario that would derail this assertion is if BBRY axes the phone before its released.

If it a rumor and they are sticking with BlackBerry 10, not updating to Qt5 shows that they are mismanaging BlackBerry 10 OS.
    There could be some alternative explanations like BB10 is on hiatus or preparing to be sold to another company, as unlikely as they my be.
    08-24-15 05:03 PM
    There could be some alternative explanations like BB10 is on hiatus or preparing to be sold to another company, as unlikely as they my be.
    You don't go on a one year hiatus to create value.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2339
    08-24-15 05:05 PM
    That is what I mean they can stay where they are and possibly cherry pick security patches.
    No?
    Yes. They can stay where they are and apply OS security patches for what they can. If there is a security/usability issue with Qt 4.8, they cannot fix it.
    08-24-15 05:08 PM
    I'm fairly confident that there is a Blackberry slider floating around with Android somewhere and it'll likely be released; but, one scenario that would derail this assertion is if BBRY axes the phone before its released.

That makes no sense.
    If you want to sell the company, you don't get much when the OS you use on your phones is using EOL frameworks. They also laid off most of the TAT people and software developers so there isn't any asset in the skills of those people. They are losing value in the asset by not keeping it up to date.
    08-24-15 05:11 PM
    Anyone remember "Weekend at Bernie's"?

Yeah, BB10 is Bernie. People just don't want to admit it yet.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    08-24-15 05:15 PM
    No?
    Yes. This would be fine for high security enterprises and medical field that do not need new technologies full of bugs but a long supported, stable and security focused OS.
    08-24-15 06:01 PM
    I was losing a lot of hope but this must be a sign :
    beware the silly season-img_20150824_165915.jpg
    08-24-15 06:59 PM
42 12