hello! This is my first thread! But any way I have the BlackBerry Storm but my husband joined the army and we might get stationed out of the country. So I need help which phone do you guys think would work better iphone or blackberry? Thanks
    06-29-09 02:39 PM
    Blackberry, 8830WE----->Tour
    06-29-09 02:40 PM
    Either phone will work fine, it just basically comes down to personal preference.
    06-29-09 02:41 PM
    So you say blackberry!
    06-29-09 02:42 PM
    Thanks Xpimp!
    06-29-09 02:42 PM
    the 8330we is best.
    06-29-09 03:55 PM
    Come on guys I'm not asking for which blackberry is the best I'm asking for help between IPHONE or BLACkBerry as a whole! I need REAL help where all the ppl who help and not bash!
    06-29-09 04:02 PM
    In your situation, you would be hard pressed to beat T-Mobile UMA enabled model.

First, it is a GSM celluar technology, widely supported internationaly. He can buy a local SIM card for normal use, or use UMA in a Wifi Hotspot for full access to his plan. That means a call home is a local call, saving a fortune in roaming charges.

To pick between them, the Pearl 8120 is the smallest and lightest, the Curve 8320 has a full keyboard and larger screen. The Curve 8900 has the most memory, room for plenty of applications.
    06-29-09 04:24 PM
    Thanks Reed McLay!!! Now how do I got about setting that up? Do I just go threw Tmobile or what?
    06-29-09 04:32 PM
    Yes, T-Mobile is the only National carrier to offer Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA) in the United States.

You have a couple of options. If you anticipate heavy calling volumes, check into the Hotspot add on. It provides unlimited voice and data while Wifi connected.

If you are likely to stay with the basic service plan for calls, you do not need the Hotspot service. The UMA enabled phone will still give you full plan access from anywhere there is a Wifi hotspot, including the middle East.
    06-29-09 08:42 PM
    Thanks So Much!!
    06-29-09 08:48 PM
    Tmobile. UMA and intl bb plan.that's the best overall. Check tmobile roaming agreements with ur local carriers

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-09 01:22 AM
    Thanks ace587! I didn't even think about a BB international plan. I was thinking it might be to high with Verizon but I will check into
    06-30-09 01:26 AM
    Its 20/month which replaces your domestic bb plan and its prorated also

06-30-09 06:48 AM
    Yes, T-Mobile is the only National carrier to offer Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA) in the United States.

You have a couple of options. If you anticipate heavy calling volumes, check into the Hotspot add on. It provides unlimited voice and data while Wifi connected.

If you are likely to stay with the basic service plan for calls, you do not need the Hotspot service. The UMA enabled phone will still give you full plan access from anywhere there is a Wifi hotspot, including the middle East.

To piggy back off of this. If I have the 8900 on T-mobile with UMA I don't need to add on the $9.99 Hotspot calling to take advantage of it (and get free class over UMA?

So what is the Hotspot feature on T-mobile for?
    06-30-09 08:15 AM
    If you use UMA on ur BB with no 9.99 addon it takes away from minutes, the 9.99 provides unlimited hotspot calling through any wifi hotspot

06-30-09 08:23 AM
    I added the unlimited hotspot calling to my plan. We had a Linksys WRT54G router which worked great for UMA, but I also wanted a small router for travel.

The T-Mobile stores and the T-Mobile website sell a small D-Link router configured for hotspot calling for $19.99. I picked one up and plugged it in to an open port on our router to test it - it really is better, I get one more UMA bar and it really does save on battery life as stated on the box.

Anyway... this would be a great router to travel with to make free UMA calls.
    06-30-09 08:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD