Does anybody know if beta testing software on your equipment is safe? What are the pros and cons?
    03-05-09 09:40 PM
    Worst it could do is "nuke" your device lol. But its pretty easy to fix if that happens. I've never had an issue with testing
    03-05-09 09:42 PM
    I've beta tested a number of applications on my PC and several
    phones including my BB's. Never had any ill effects to my devices.
    03-05-09 09:46 PM
    Have not done any beta testing with my BB but I have done several on the PC - never an issue so far...... Hope it stays that way
    03-05-09 09:49 PM
    Actually, it's a software mind mapping program for my computer, I just couldn't get any answers to this question from the 'appropriate' forums. So I thank you both for your opinions. Keep them coming if anyone has had a disaster from beta testing. Thanks again!
    03-05-09 09:50 PM
    Just make sure you have current backups of your data and you should be okay for the BB. Now more can go wrong on a computer with potentially lots of installed software and lots of personal settings or "ini" files. Blowing up a large hard disk could be a real problem. With that said, I've not run into any major issues. But have had interim data loss when a beta went BOOM! It can be fun but things can go wrong.
    03-06-09 12:25 AM
    I have had multiple beta's on my berry and pc and so far so good but be sure to try and understand what beta you are about to fiddle with and be safe
    03-06-09 12:31 AM
    As far as my phone devices are concerned, I've never had any huge problems at all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-06-09 02:02 AM
    BETA testing = FUTURE progression
    03-06-09 05:23 AM
    You should be a good friend of the backup and restore routines before you start beta testing, and you should expect to use your backup from time to time so make sure it works before you need it.

That doesn't mean a beta will lose your data but the risk is there, and I've seen beta releases where the developers have said "we goofed, restore the backup" and even one program where the beta install cleared all previous data and started as a clean install.

You are unlikely to do any physical damage by taking part in beta test programs. However you can't be sure the program will work exactly as designed (that's what you are testing) and a beta release may have some features disabled or simply broken.

There's one danger area - attention drift as you find all the cool new features. It can be addictive.

OK, so participation in a manufacturer's beta program is usually safe enough.

Caution
    There is one danger area - warez download sites holding what purport to be the latest betas of various highly desirable software distributions. At work I am already fending off downloads and DVDs like "Windose 2009 Server - beta" and "Microsoft Office 2010 Ultra". They all have a few features in common, and they are not what they first seem.
    • NOT a beta release site approved by the software manufacturer.
    • Cracked and hacked version of existing version, often pretending to be free beta of next version.
    • Contain bundled malware, detected by good antivirus. May be overlooked by FREE!!! Antivirus downloaded from same source. (No surprise there...)
    • Usually downloaded from one of a small group of notorious warez and sharing sites like MegaUpload, Rapidshare, various well known torrents.
    • Download sites frequently polluted with driveby downloads which may infect and exploit unpatched computers which are silly enough to think they can view the page safely.

Don't fall into the trap.
    03-06-09 06:44 AM
    Hey cbmember, It has been a while.

LOL, Two Questions....

First suggestion, you have to master the technique of installing your device software. Once you have mastered that, beta testing carries no fear or concern about loss of function.
    03-06-09 10:07 AM
    I can't believe somebody actually missed me. Oh thank you! And thanks for your good advice, does it apply to my computer as well? I was actually invited to be a beta tester for a mind-mapping program on my Mac, not my BB. I finally decided to forego the temptation because my computer is brand spanking new and I'd hate to think I did something stupid to ruin it myself.

I appreciate all the advice I've gotten here. I've really learned a lot about beta testing, and the pro's and con's. Maybe one day when I've got an old computer I can devote to only beta testing, it'd be fun.

Thanks again to everybody who responded!
    03-07-09 09:59 AM
    i have beta tested alot of apps for the BB and i have had nothing go wrong with me... just the apps that barely work, but isnt that the point of beta testing to work out the bugs
    03-07-09 11:01 AM
    Beta testing has pros and cons which have been mentioned here. The one thing I would caution is it can be almost an addiction, finding the latest nreleased programs or OS's.....just be careful and use common sense.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-07-09 11:05 AM
    Maybe one day when I've got an old computer I can devote to only beta testing, it'd be fun.
    Most of are thinking beta testing BlackBerry OS software, you are thinking of traditional computer software.

Same advise applies, if you are confidant you can recover from anything that might go wrong, go for it. It's pretty tough to brick a Windows box.
    03-07-09 11:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD