So I guess next is killing off Android apps...

I guess I better start looking for alternatives to the HUB and Keyboard...
    It's not even proven. No such announcements. All they're doing is moving it to the play store's beta section, nothing more.

From my BlackBerry Key2 LE on Freedom Mobile LTE or 3G HSPA+
    05-23-20 12:48 AM
    It's not even proven. No such announcements. All they're doing is moving it to the play store's beta section, nothing more.

From my BlackBerry Key2 LE on Freedom Mobile LTE or 3G HSPA+
    Well.....

It's not exactly a good sign now, is it?
    05-23-20 03:07 PM
    Well.....

It's not exactly a good sign now, is it?
    Signaling that they are getting ready to publish on Google
    Last edited by nevilleadaniels; 05-23-20 at 03:51 PM.
    05-23-20 03:38 PM
    Signing off that they are getting ready to publish on Google
    Nothing has changed with regards to Google and/or Google Play. The difference is that they have shuttered the beta program portal. Not exactly time for a party.
    05-23-20 03:49 PM
    Nothing has changed with regards to Google and/or Google Play. The difference is that they have shuttered the beta program portal. Not exactly time for a party.
    Exactly what conite said.

Now we cannot give direct feedback on how the apps are (mis)behaving and try to push the devs in the right direction.

I see you have a Key2. A device that is no longer gonna be manufactored. So let's play connect he dots.

* BlackBerry no longer has Android devices coming down the pipeline;
    * The Beta program is dead, we cannot give feedback directly;
    * BlackBerry no longer needs to worry about proper upgrading the apps to newer versions of Android since no new devices will run those new versions of the OS.

Best case scenario, we get maintenance updates for critical issues and small bugs go on as "features". But why oh why would John Chen waste money into an activity that does not bring any profit?

Am I being pessimistic? SURE! It's Covid-19 time and everything I see is doom and gloom.

But you can't really say you don't see it if you look close enough...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-25-20 09:07 PM
    Exactly what conite said.

Now we cannot give direct feedback on how the apps are (mis)behaving and try to push the devs in the right direction.

I see you have a Key2. A device that is no longer gonna be manufactored. So let's play connect he dots.

* BlackBerry no longer has Android devices coming down the pipeline;
    * The Beta program is dead, we cannot give feedback directly;
    * BlackBerry no longer needs to worry about proper upgrading the apps to newer versions of Android since no new devices will run those new versions of the OS.

Best case scenario, we get maintenance updates for critical issues and small bugs go on as "features". But why oh why would John Chen waste money into an activity that does not bring any profit?

Am I being pessimistic? SURE! It's Covid-19 time and everything I see is doom and gloom.

But you can't really say you don't see it if you look close enough...
    John Chen has to tread a very tricky line. Many of the companies that have deployed BlackBerry UEM etc have Blackberry owners and users at the helm. If he upsets them too much he made them what is left of his business. On the other hand and some of the big companies have suddenly found themselves from iPhones or high-end Samsungs delivered to the executive suite.
    05-26-20 06:03 AM
    Many of the companies that have deployed BlackBerry UEM etc have Blackberry owners and users at the helm.
    [Citation needed]
    diegonei likes this.
    05-26-20 06:48 AM
    John Chen has to tread a very tricky line. Many of the companies that have deployed BlackBerry UEM etc have Blackberry owners and users at the helm. If he upsets them too much he made them what is left of his business. On the other hand and some of the big companies have suddenly found themselves from iPhones or high-end Samsungs delivered to the executive suite.
    Sorry but BlackBerry has a separate line of Apps for BlackBerry UEM customers.... Ones that are compatible with both Android and iOS. The ending of HUB+ Android development isn't going to affect this too much. Other than consumer development is always going to help to make the "work" software better.

Have to just hope that this isn't THE END of these application... worst case even if Android 11 breaks them, they "should" work fine for anyone sticking to old hardware and old software.
    diegonei likes this.
    05-26-20 09:58 AM
    worst case even if Android 11 breaks them, they "should" work fine for anyone sticking to old hardware and old software.
    Which is never a good scenario.

*leaves forums to charge his backup phone, the Z30*
    05-26-20 11:35 AM
    Which is never a good scenario.

*leaves forums to charge his backup phone, the Z30*
    I agree it's not a good scenario.... it is what it is.

I had issue about two summers ago with the whole suite on my S7.... and gave up and moved on. Now I'm on iOS... in the end we adapt.
    05-26-20 11:50 AM
    I agree it's not a good scenario.... it is what it is.

I had issue about two summers ago with the whole suite on my S7.... and gave up and moved on. Now I'm on iOS... in the end we adapt.
    I honestly hoped you would latch on to the joke really...

Edit: Funny you mentioned the S7, I was looking at a few Android 10 builds for it a couple hours ago. Should more than make the BB suite work properly again. Damn that device was gorgeous.
    05-26-20 11:59 AM
    I honestly hoped you would latch on to the joke really...

Edit: Funny you mentioned the S7, I was looking at a few Android 10 builds for it a couple hours ago. Should more than make the BB suite work properly again. Damn that device was gorgeous.
    Really like my S7.... but think I'd have like the S8, S9, S10 or S20 as well. When I broke mine last summer it had just gotten another back of montly updates. Never expected it to be supported that long.

Android 10? Your talking about rooting and custom roms?

Went Apple though.... I was the odd man out at work and home.
    diegonei and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-27-20 09:56 AM
37 12