I now spend a lot less time here making more productive - well maybe less, because I spend a lot more time looking at Sailfish and Ubuntu trying to figure out how to port the OS to a phone that will replace my Passport.

So much for Tuesday morning sarcasm.
    09-13-16 10:51 AM
    Sounds like you're not too keen on BB-Android. I've made the adjustment and like it. And, it's getting better all the time with the new tweaks and upgraded apps/services.
    09-13-16 10:55 AM
    I now spend a lot less time here making more productive - well maybe less, because I spend a lot more time looking at Sailfish and Ubuntu trying to figure out how to port the OS to a phone that will replace my Passport.

So much for Tuesday morning sarcasm.
    IMHO, Sailfish is the better OS. I tried to stick with Ubuntu Touch and it just seemed to get sloppier and sloppier over the iterations. Sailfish is very fluid and dynamic.

Of course with a port you don't get much for Apps as there is no Play Access.

Ever consider Firefox OS? It's about leveraging the web and you can get a nice experience on a privacy forward OS.
    09-13-16 11:02 AM
    Ever consider Firefox OS? It's about leveraging the web and you can get a nice experience on a privacy forward OS.
    To be fair, FireFox killed development of the FireFox OS...
    09-13-16 11:19 AM
    He'll feel right at home!

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    09-13-16 01:11 PM
    He'll feel right at home!

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    Wow!!! Shots fired Lmao haha

Posted via CB10
    09-13-16 01:14 PM
    Sounds like you're not too keen on BB-Android. I've made the adjustment and like it. And, it's getting better all the time with the new tweaks and upgraded apps/services.
    Has more to do with form factor. Really want a VKB Passport. Also, do not like dealing with Google's watchful eye
    09-13-16 01:43 PM
    The worse: it is an android Os.
    The best: I do not own one.

  
    09-14-16 03:59 AM
    The best: It may keep Blackberry's handset business alive
    The worst: Android can be a little scattered if you don't know what you are doing with it.
    09-14-16 05:20 AM
    The best: Blackberry will see exactly how many now actually prefer BB10 (Twitter/Instragram users are ruthless)
    The worst: Now I'm probably going to be buying an iPhone
    09-14-16 07:02 AM
    Um... No? https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/os/ & https://firefoxos.mozilla.community/devices/
    09-14-16 10:24 AM
    https://techcrunch.com/2015/12/08/mo...ones/?ncid=rss

Mozilla outlines the end of Firefox OS on phones and looks to IoT future | The Verge

Just because it's still available doesn't mean that development hasn't ended (just as with BB10). The main difference is that Mozilla has actually, officially announced that they've ended development.
    09-14-16 10:42 AM
    The best:

They're going into the world of android they are entering a bigger market and it gets their name out there more. Also, a number of android users might be tempted by Blackberries BB10 offerings.

The worst:

BlackBerry developing their own flavour of Android spelled out the death of BB10. (I know BB10 market share was poor prior to BlackBerry-android, but android development was the final nail in the coffin).

PP SE - 10.3.2.2876/SR .2836  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    09-15-16 11:01 AM
    https://techcrunch.com/2015/12/08/mo...ones/?ncid=rss

Mozilla outlines the end of Firefox OS on phones and looks to IoT future | The Verge

Just because it's still available doesn't mean that development hasn't ended (just as with BB10). The main difference is that Mozilla has actually, officially announced that they've ended development.
    I'd still look for some chefs on XDA to cook up some stuff. But thanks for the links. I did miss seeing that.
    09-15-16 11:22 AM
    The best:
    • It solves the app gap for us, BlackBerry fans can now have both of two worlds, BB and apps.
    • It gives a chance for BlackBerry's hardware to survive.
    • Android is the only way for you to remotely see another BB10 device or BB devices in general.
    • Android can be as secure and productive as BB10 one day.
    • Android is very customizable and can be tuned to look like BB10 and you can have lots of features that you did enjoy on BB10.

You should thank god for Android.

The worst: Slow OS updates. Only Nexus devices get them immediately.
    TgeekB likes this.
    09-15-16 11:31 AM
    The best:
    • It solves the app gap for us, BlackBerry fans can now have both of two worlds, BB and apps.
    • It gives a chance for BlackBerry's hardware to survive.
    • Android is the only way for you to remotely see another BB10 device or BB devices in general.
    • Android can be as secure and productive as BB10 one day.
    • Android is very customizable and can be tuned to look like BB10 and you can have lots of features that you did enjoy on BB10.

You should thank god for Android.

The worst: Slow OS updates. Only Nexus devices get them immediately.
    BlackBerry has been pretty good about getting out the updates. Besides, they are much faster with Android updates than let's say, BB10.... I mean 10.3.3 should be here any ________

Posted via CB10
    09-15-16 11:52 AM
    Honestly I would have loved to the priv or dtek50 but non of them have true multitasking. That is the sticky wicket for me. Bb10 is the only one that let's me keep doing what I'm doing and get other stuff done without having to restart or pause or reopen programs. Until android gets true multitasking I'm staying bb10 on my z30.

Posted via CB10
    BerrySoul likes this.
    09-15-16 02:26 PM
    BlackBerry has been pretty good about getting out the updates. Besides, they are much faster with Android updates than let's say, BB10.... I mean 10.3.3 should be here any ________

Posted via CB10
    I'm talking about the OS and the OEMs in general, no one gets the updates right away except Nexus. That's the disadvantage of Android, if you want your updates right away then you've to get a Nexus.

BB 10.3.3 isn't available for some devices while being unavailable for others. Its a different story with android, some devices are still getting Marshmallow now when Nougat is out. The superb advantage with iOS is that everyone gets the update right away when its available.

We will never see Android OS updates getting released immediately to android devices other than Nexus, that's Android's problem. So if we want updates we're being limited to Nexus. I think the next best thing is HTC, I heard they release it within 3 months.
    09-15-16 02:42 PM
    Honestly I would have loved to the priv or dtek50 but non of them have true multitasking.

Clearly you have no idea of what you're talking about. But let me guess: you want to play YouTube videos in the background, and you somehow believe that this isn't possible, right?
    09-15-16 03:40 PM
    BB10 multi tasking that I miss: do a Google search, pick 6 different items to open in a new tab, check my email while they load, go back to the browser to read the 6 pages. So far every time I do this on Android the pages start to refresh as soon as I bring them to the front. BB10 does not do this.
    BerrySoul likes this.
    09-15-16 03:49 PM
    I just picked up an axon 7 installed the hub as a full screen widget one swipe from homescreen. Ok now how do I emulate swipe to wake? My habits are nearly satisfied!

Posted via CB10
    09-15-16 04:18 PM
    Android is definitely clunky as compared to bb10. The hub experience is very different.

But the apps though.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-15-16 04:25 PM
    Best:
    - cloud data access is embraced, real-time collaboration is possible on the phone.
    - able to respond in any format the other party wants
    - application alternatives

Worst:
    - I now have billions of folders and sub-folders. Each app has to make its own structure and it's all an display making file management a chore
    - I still cannot snooze a reminder from the task app
    - other critical reminders sit in the tray easily ignored
    - battery is the same weather used extensively or not touched all day...
    - no real PKB offering yet

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    BerrySoul likes this.
    09-15-16 04:49 PM
    BB10 multi tasking that I miss: do a Google search, pick 6 different items to open in a new tab, check my email while they load, go back to the browser to read the 6 pages. So far every time I do this on Android the pages start to refresh as soon as I bring them to the front. BB10 does not do this.
    That's not multitasking, that's app design.

Multitasking means that things can happen in the background while other tasks happen in the foreground. All mobile OSs can do this with no problem - this is why notifications work, updates can install while you continue to use the phone, or why you can play music in one app and switch to another.

That doesn't prevent app developers from making choices for their apps that, for example, conserve phone resources, both battery and data. Google, for example, designed their native YouTube apps on all platforms to suspend the playing of videos when in the background. Android is perfectly capable of playing them in the background, and there are third-party apps and browsers that allow that to happen, but Google made design decisions to conserve power and data - probably because if they didn't, they'd be accused of "using up everyone's data when it was obvious that people weren't actively using the app."

This is why big ecosystems are of value - if you are fine with, say, a video app using up a ton of data just to play audio in the background, then you can download an app that will let you do so, and if you burn through a month of data in 2 days, oh well.

None of this has any bearing on the capabilities of the OS, though.
    JeepBB and TgeekB like this.
    09-15-16 11:41 PM
    Honestly I would have loved to the priv or dtek50 but non of them have true multitasking. That is the sticky wicket for me. Bb10 is the only one that let's me keep doing what I'm doing and get other stuff done without having to restart or pause or reopen programs. Until android gets true multitasking I'm staying bb10 on my z30.

Posted via CB10
    You are right, I have tried Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge with Blackberry Hub+. It's one of top cutting edge android phone. The hub it's not bad and I think it will improve. The multitasking of BB10 is what is missing.
    I'm still keeping my Classic probably until the new PKB will be released.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Eno Karapici; 09-16-16 at 03:48 AM.
    BerrySoul likes this.
    09-16-16 02:53 AM
28 12