I just had a look at some of the threads that came up in a search, and some of the answers seem outdated.

I have the Kobo app right now, but it's pretty much locked down to the Kobo store and I can't figure out a way to drag and drop a new ebook in there (it seems that if you have a Kobo reader itself, this is possible, but not with the BB app).

I saw references to MobiPocket and BeamReader, but neither of these options seem very reliable. For one, I'm just looking for something that you can either drag/drop with, or open PDF files (I have a book in both an epub and pdf version). BeamReader sounds like it would work, but it's only free as a 10-day trial.

Any free options out there that are decent?
    02-11-11 11:52 AM
    02-11-11 01:17 PM
    That's a helpful list! Thanks - and actually it seems like MobiPocket MIGHT be the best choice of the bunch from the write-up there. I'll have to play around a bit at home.
    02-11-11 01:22 PM
    The problem you are going to run into is most ebooks have DRMs attached. Any of the e-readers listed will do what you want so long as there is no DRM attached. If a DRM is attached only the eReader for that file type will be able to open it.

MobiPocket seem to be the more popular ereader for Blackberrys. You will also want to check out Calibre. This is a free program that will convert ebook files to other ebook file types. Again, only if there is no DRM attached.
    02-11-11 01:26 PM
    Right now I'm just trying to get one specific ebook loaded onto my device and I know for sure it's DRM-free (it was released by Wil Wheaton and he said it's DRM-free, so I'm 100% sure he wouldn't lie about his own short story).

For the rest of the stuff I'm fine with Kobo...I don't get that many ebooks.

However I will check out Calibre, as it seems that the Barnes & Noble ereader is a little more open than Kobo - but it only reads PRB or whatever it is.
    02-11-11 01:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD