01-26-17 06:37 AM
28 12
tools
    Some people like being able to turn off as many apps as possible, ESPECIALLY ones that report GPS and other user/phone activity, or that offer notifications the user doesn't want or need in real time, like app updates.

Could someone clarify whether it is possible to turn off Google Play Services so long as the user doesn't care about the impact on some apps?

For example, I keep the Amazon headless apps (Music, Appstore, and Amazon) turned off on BB10 unless I have a specific need for them. It's not just about saving battery life or CPU cycles. I don't want Amazon collecting location and other data from my phone.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think you can disable or delete GPS, but do have control over this:
    Best way to mimic bb10 on droid to ease transition?-screenshot_20170126-052729.png

Posted via CB10
    01-25-17 11:31 PM
    And i have location turned 'off'.
    01-25-17 11:58 PM
    I don't think you can disable or delete GPS, but do have control over this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20170126-052729.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	416495

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the screen shot. My biggest complaint with the App Stores is that they go beyond the scope of a marketplace and actively interact with our software and data. I don't really mind that for most personal stuff, but it's a big concern for security and sensitive data. The legal disclosures/terms are very little help, as they are typically very broad and aggressive, implying that, by using these services, we agree to share all of our information.

Also, while the app stores have been a positive for bringing new apps to market, they actually interfere with the relationships between established software vendors and their customers. By taking a commission, they increase the costs of software that we would buy directly anyway.

In B2B transactions, I don't want to have to pay a retailer a fee for products I could buy directly from the manufacturer.

It's great business for Google and Apple, and now Microsoft is trying to get into the same game, buy I don't feel better served as a customer.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-17 06:37 AM
28 12