This wasn't the clip on CNBC I was talking about but it talks about best smartphone for emergency.What are your thoughts on the clip?

Best Smartphone for an Emergency - CNBC
    11-01-12 01:20 PM
    In a unexpected emergency, BB has advantage with better battery life and better signal reception.

So in a planned/programmed emergency, android and iphones have advantage if you bring along some type of quick battery chargers... So you can tweet... What? I think that these system are better if you wish to relax bit so you play games. Than again, you will run out of battery.

--

Best choice is bb, with better 'native' battery life and better signal reception. And, I would also consider one other app, the Bible.
    11-01-12 02:15 PM
    In a unexpected emergency, BB has advantage with better battery life and better signal reception.

So in a planned/programmed emergency, android and iphones have advantage if you bring along some type of quick battery chargers... So you can tweet... What? I think that these system are better if you wish to relax bit so you play games. Than again, you will run out of battery.

Best choice is bb, with better 'native' battery life and better signal reception. And, I would also consider one other app, the Bible.
    To me they were trying to spin the benefits of iphone and android since without reception iphones and android phone are useless? This was the case in NYC and even the reporters say their blackberries worked fine but their iphone had issues. It seems clear BB win hands down.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    11-01-12 02:30 PM
    Why is it they always show a video or picture of a 3-4 years old BlackBerry?
    11-01-12 02:40 PM
    To me they were trying to spin the benefits of iphone and android since without reception iphones and android phone are useless? This was the case in NYC and even the reporters say their blackberries worked fine but their iphone had issues. It seems clear BB win hands down.
    Pretty sure any phone without reception is mostly useless as a communication device.
    11-01-12 03:10 PM
    Pretty sure any phone without reception is mostly useless as a communication device.
    But you can still use the iphone as a lattern app and play games. Seriously, I agree that without reception, it is not a communication device.
    11-01-12 03:18 PM
    Yes... you are right which makes blackberries the smartphone of choice in an emergency.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    11-01-12 03:26 PM
    Robin Bienfait RIMM CIO has some experience in this area and recently commented in an interview. Sorry no linky but search here and you will find it. She mentions Katrina, Haiti earthquake, Japan tsunami, and some others. NOTHING else worked. NOTHING. Do you need to communicate and solve problems? Or play the latest games? When RIM gets BB10 out the door it will do both. That is what I want. (Although PB and 9780 does a pretty good job of it right NOW!)
    Superfly_FR, kbz1960 and bungaboy like this.
    11-01-12 03:41 PM
    Robin Bienfait RIMM CIO has some experience in this area and recently commented in an interview. Sorry no linky but search here and you will find it. She mentions Katrina, Haiti earthquake, Japan tsunami, and some others. NOTHING else worked. NOTHING. Do you need to communicate and solve problems? Or play the latest games? When RIM gets BB10 out the door it will do both. That is what I want. (Although PB and 9780 does a pretty good job of it right NOW!)
    Here you go : BlackBerry CIO on Mobile Security, BYOD and the Modern CIO Role CIO.com
    Do you use a personal device that's not a BlackBerry? Have you ever used a non-BlackBerry smartphone or tablet?
    No. When I was at AT&T, I tested several other devices. The one that would actually function, the one that would work in areas of difficulty [during emergencies] was a BlackBerry. When I was doing all the recovery after Hurricane Katrina, the only device that would get a signal was a BlackBerry. 9/11, the only device that would get a signal and actually handle the processing I needed, was a BlackBerry.
    That was because cellular networks were overloaded, and your communications were going directly through RIM's infrastructure, correct?
    Yes. And even though we were boosting the network up, still the signal that was really traveling through was via BlackBerry. We've actually seen the same thing [recently] in Haiti and with the earthquakes overseas, in Japan. Same phenomenon.
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-01-12 06:35 PM
    Yes... you are right which makes blackberries the smartphone of choice in an emergency.
    Unless it has no service. I'd rather a phone with service than without. Any phone, it wouldn't matter.
    11-01-12 09:01 PM
    Here you go : BlackBerry CIO on Mobile Security, BYOD and the Modern CIO Role CIO.com
    Do you use a personal device that's not a BlackBerry? Have you ever used a non-BlackBerry smartphone or tablet?
    No. When I was at AT&T, I tested several other devices. The one that would actually function, the one that would work in areas of difficulty [during emergencies] was a BlackBerry. When I was doing all the recovery after Hurricane Katrina, the only device that would get a signal was a BlackBerry. 9/11, the only device that would get a signal and actually handle the processing I needed, was a BlackBerry.
    That was because cellular networks were overloaded, and your communications were going directly through RIM's infrastructure, correct?
    Yes. And even though we were boosting the network up, still the signal that was really traveling through was via BlackBerry. We've actually seen the same thing [recently] in Haiti and with the earthquakes overseas, in Japan. Same phenomenon.
    So let's see what the argument is.... Blackberry is the best smartphone because it performed well during Katrina and 9/11. During those events the poor performance of iPhone and Android should be forgiven considering they had to get to those events via time machine and that effected their circuitry somewhat.

The rest of the lady's comments about Haiti and Japan are heresay, and heresay from an upper echelon RIM employee to boot. What do you expect her to say? That Blackberry was worse?
    11-01-12 09:56 PM
    So let's see what the argument is.... Blackberry is the best smartphone because it performed well during Katrina and 9/11. During those events the poor performance of iPhone and Android should be forgiven considering they had to get to those events via time machine and that effected their circuitry somewhat.

The rest of the lady's comments about Haiti and Japan are heresay, and heresay from an upper echelon RIM employee to boot. What do you expect her to say? That Blackberry was worse?
    There were articles at the time of the desasters telling about how only BlackBerry worked. Look it up.
    kdna, Superfly_FR, kbz1960 and 3 others like this.
    11-02-12 01:07 AM
    Re-fresher on dates for everyone:

9/11 - 2001
    Katrina - 2005
    First iPhone - 2007
    First Android phone - 2008
    11-02-12 01:23 AM
    Darn, you beat me to it. I'm a Blackberry fanboi, but the iphone and Android based phone didn't even exist during those events. Palm was around.

Further, if you are on BIS, can it be any more reliable than the data service from the carrier? I view BIS as something like a VPN. The path to the RIM server is encrypted, but it still is on the carrier's network.

Now I would rule out any phone where you can't put in a spare battery. That means all iphones and a few Android devices. There are so many Android phones that I can't say with authority that there isn't an Android phone that is as good as a Blackberry on weak signals.

I've run the cellumap app in some desolate areas. However, they were never weak signals. In rural areas, the towers tend to be high above the terrain. they use EDGE, and you lose contact at the 35km limit, which is strictly due to timing. Now I have also done UMTS from mountaintops in urban areas, where the towers tend to be low level. That is a weak signal condition. I've had the Blackberry work fine at levels lower than -100dBm.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    thecsman likes this.
    11-02-12 02:06 AM

What you may need to know is that Mrs Bienfait had a life before RIM.
    Prior to joining RIM, she held senior leadership positions within AT&T Labs and Global Network Services.
    I believe this adds a *little* credibility to her analysis ...

Then, one factor alone will never make a smartphone "the best". But the reliability is one of the most important, and BlackBerry devices have demonstrated in real situation that they were working where others didn't. Finally "we" don't care why. It's just a fact.
    11-02-12 04:35 AM
    I believe this gives a *little* credibility of her analysis ...
    No - regardless of what any corporate exec has done before - once they take the coin, they are basically a shill for their current employer - it's expected and normal.
    11-02-12 04:36 AM
    Re-fresher on dates for everyone:

9/11 - 2001
    Katrina - 2005
    First iPhone - 2007
    First Android phone - 2008
    Fukushima ... 2011
    Sandy ... few days ago (and running). Blackberry devices still the most reliable.
    What's your point ?
    11-02-12 04:39 AM
    Best smartphone in an emergency? That's a no Brainerd it is the SIG SAUER P239 with......I mean BlackBerry of course remember 911 when those heathens flew planes into world Trade Center towers and BlackBerry was still standing.
    11-02-12 04:41 AM
    No - regardless of what any corporate exec has done before - once they take the coin, they are basically a shill for their current employer - it's expected and normal.
    No, she cannot burn her credibility. She was in charge of networks. If she spread misinformation or crap, she'll ruin her aura (and future career).
    Remember, she's not talking to Joes, she's talking to CTOs and CIOs and she's highly respected by the community.
    Stewartj1 and bungaboy like this.
    11-02-12 04:49 AM
    Fukushima ... 2011
    Sandy ... few days ago (and running). Blackberry devices still the most reliable.
    What's your point ?
    What's your point? Do you have any evidence the Blackberry was still the most reliable during Sandy?

How many Blackberry user's did you support during Sandy?
    11-02-12 04:52 AM
    What's your point? Do you have any evidence the Blackberry was still the most reliable during Sandy?

How many Blackberry user's did you support during Sandy?
    And now we go personal ...
    have a nice day.
    Stewartj1, jasonvan9 and bungaboy like this.
    11-02-12 06:20 AM
    Also, don't forget the removable battery. I f I were in N.Y last week I'd probably have 3-4 extra BB cells.
    Most others can't.
    11-02-12 06:36 AM
    If I was in a situation like that, I'd have a cheap burner phone that I'd my sim card in rather than any battery sucking smartphone.
    11-02-12 06:50 AM
    If I was in a situation like that, I'd have a cheap burner phone that I'd my sim card in rather than any battery sucking smartphone.
    I'm sure you're prepared and have one at the ready?
    11-02-12 07:07 AM
    I'm sure you're prepared and have one at the ready?
    Yes, I have a complete emergency kit - including canned goods, bottled water and other supplies such as self-contained battery chargers and a generator.
    11-02-12 07:16 AM
76 123 ...