Ok looked through a few posts already as well as online. I can't seem to find Trekbuddy for the BB at all to download offline maps.

I will need 3 major city maps that I can use offline (Europe and not in WiFi area). I will need to be able to zoom in and out of these maps with clarity.

I tried downloading some maps off the net and sent them to my BB as jpgs, but the quality when zooming in is gone (I was able to do this with the metro subway maps though).

I have Google maps for my BB, but I don't want to leave it on static on the city as when I pan or zoom in it will go blank trying to update with no connection.

So any other ideas how I can get a good offline city map(s) for the BB 8520 that are zoomable?

Thanks...
    07-23-10 08:53 AM
    its been a long time since i used trek buddy but you can get it from getjar

Download TrekBuddy for BlackBerry 8900

i remember it being fairly difficult to get maps actually set up on it.

there is an application that you can download that will create the maps for you from google maps and export them to your blackberry.

for the zoom on trek buddy what you basically need to do is load a number of the same map i.e set zoom on this external app for creating the app to 1 then create a map, then 3 create another map then 6 and create another map and upload all 3 to the bb. then to zoom you can switch between maps (which is very easy to do in the app) for a free map software that doesnt use the network to get maps i think its very good. doesnt show where youve been or navigation just your current posistion.
    07-23-10 09:03 AM
    actually heres a good website that explains it all. i think that online map generator is what i actually used. as i said its been ages since i used it so cant really remember too much about it
    07-23-10 09:05 AM
    07-23-10 09:05 AM
    Mobile Atlas Creator actually i think i found it. this is the atlas creator application i was talking about.
    07-23-10 09:14 AM
    Seems you need a GPS for the phone to get these to work (plus didn't find the Mobile Atlas Creator for the BB, just other phones).

Plus this being a evaluation copy, it might be a little too extensive for what I need. I might just have to rely on Wifi areas when I'm there and small paper maps until I can find a good map I can upload to my phone.

Thanks for the input and I will look at this a little more...
    07-23-10 12:22 PM
    Seems you need a GPS for the phone to get these to work (plus didn't find the Mobile Atlas Creator for the BB, just other phones).

Plus this being a evaluation copy, it might be a little too extensive for what I need. I might just have to rely on Wifi areas when I'm there and small paper maps until I can find a good map I can upload to my phone.

Thanks for the input and I will look at this a little more...
    I don't think you actually need gps to be able see the map on trekbuddy I think you can just pan around the maps manually.

The atlas creator is a desktop application so its not specific to a phone. Basically it just creates a folder fill of tiles(small segment images of the map) that you upload to your phone memory or sdcard from your computer.

Trekbuddy really sounds like what your lookin for but I will admitt it is a bit overly complicated to set up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-10 12:42 PM
    awesome tip
    07-23-10 01:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD