I remember this exact kind of thing going on with the WebOS community before it folded. I believe Laptop mag was one of the outlets that would publish these same type of polls. They were meaningless, but they made users of marginal platforms feel good about themselves. WebOS was always winning those polls despite the fact that they were not winning at the cash register: the only place where it counts.
    The WebOS hype was all over a UI gimmick.

It has nothing to do with the interest surrounding the revolutionary new OS that is BB10. This is foundation level stuff, not just a cosmetic upgrade.
    05-10-12 10:24 AM

It has nothing to do with the interest surrounding the revolutionary new OS that is BB10. This is foundation level stuff, not just a cosmetic upgrade.
    That's rich coming from someone supporting the company that STOLE that gimmick without noticeable refinement, and made it the centerpiece of their new devices.
    05-10-12 10:30 AM

So? how do you know this OS10 is going to be "Revolutionary"? that is a pretty strong statement about a OS that hasn't seen the light of the public eye. And RIM and Revolution IMO, have never went hand in hand. I really do hope RIM can come out of it's horriffic tailspin and at least compete. For me, THAT will be "Revolutionary".

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    05-10-12 10:52 AM
    Great. Now go play in the Apple section with your friends. I watch cable shows, I'm not a musician so no interest in making crappy music no one wants to hear, there are similar apps for pb, I don't play a guitar so no need for tuning I believe there is one of those also. So great the iPad does things I could care less about but so does the pb.
    LOL to each thier own...but again, numbers DON'T LIE! bottom line, people want what they want, and even at only $200.00 (from originally $499.00) the PlayBook tanked here in the US. I have a Bold 9930, which I LOVE and I have an ipad2, which I LOVE AND a ipod touch 4th gen...so I pretty much have best of all worlds. If you notice, Crackberry Kevin even has an iphone 4S for when he comes to the US. I'm not being a hater at all toward RIM...just a realist.
    You are correct, numbers don't lie. Toyota sells a boat load of Camrys. Are they best in class? Let me answer...no. MacDonalds sells a boat load of burgers. Are they best in class? Let me answer this also...no. Are both popular? Yes. I think the stock prices of the companies reflect the popularity and sales of the products, rather than a ranking by best in class.

Same with ipad.

BTW, I have a s2, which I love and an upgrade burning a hole in my pocket. As my storm 2 is not 2.5 years old without any issues, I'm waiting for RIM or Apple to actually have a new device in the stores. We'll see who wins the horse race.
    tjseaman likes this.
    05-10-12 10:52 AM
    best in class has nothing to do with anything. products that make a huge profit, and sustains huge profits, have higher priced shares. we are talking about people who buy stock to make money, NOT debate the quality or non quality. Im pretty sure there are vegetarians or vegans who would still get McDonalds stock at a bargin basement price if they can. and again, over 115 million people obviously enjoy the iphone, regardless of anyones opinion of quality.

05-10-12 12:47 PM
    So? how do you know this OS10 is going to be "Revolutionary"? that is a pretty strong statement about a OS that hasn't seen the light of the public eye. And RIM and Revolution IMO, have never went hand in hand. I really do hope RIM can come out of it's horriffic tailspin and at least compete. For me, THAT will be "Revolutionary".
    The new UI and extended gesture system hasn't hit the market, the foundation of the OS is available to test out in the PlayBook.
    05-10-12 12:56 PM
    Who is disagreeing popularity and sales drives stock price?

I'm not one of the 115 million that enjoy the iphone and I don't own apple stock either. I don't like the iphone as a business device, no doubt it's a great social media device, but I don't need that either.
    05-10-12 01:51 PM
    Unfortunatly there have been more and more businesses in the last year to changover from BlackBerry to iphone. At least three companies I know of around me have changed from BB to iphone. One company explained that the program they use to send information to thier service techs works better with an iphone. So the myth of iphone just being a "Toy" is starting to become that.

05-10-12 02:07 PM
    The BlackBerry Playbook is one of the biggest technology product failures in history. I don't think any amount of marketing will change that. It's less than half the price of the market leader and people still don't want it.

It's the Yugo of tablets.
    hpjrt and leftypepper716 like this.
    05-10-12 03:25 PM
    Now that's cold. Ouch!
    Last edited by dandbj13; 05-10-12 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Yes, I made a typo in a four word post.
    05-10-12 03:31 PM
    The BlackBerry Playbook is one of the biggest technology product failures in history. I don't think any amount of marketing will change that. It's less than half the price of the market leader and people still don't want it.

I don't know what you're talking about. I've seen plenty of them floating around. In my immediate family, half of us own PlayBooks. 1 iPad owner and he was given it as part of a board membership deal.

It's the Avro Arrow of Tablets.

Big difference.
    05-10-12 03:38 PM
    It's the Avro Arrow of Tablets.
    Is that seen as profitable and successful? Then that would be a bad comparison. The PB is neither profitable or successful, nor has it help RIM's image in any way. I think the Yugo was more accurate.
    leftypepper716 likes this.
    05-10-12 03:42 PM
    Is that seen as profitable and successful? Then that would be a bad comparison. The PB is neither profitable or successful, nor has it help RIM's image in any way. I think the Yugo was more accurate.
    Of course it wasn't. It was scrapped in a ton of controversy, but it was a mach 2 capable jet back in the 50s. It would have been the king interceptor, but political pressures killed it. We ended up buying inferior American Voodoo's instead.

As a field test of the QNX OS? It's been a wild success.

Have you ever even used a playbook?
    05-10-12 03:54 PM
    As a Blackberry fan, I for one LIKED the post! Thanks for sharing. Nice to see a positive post about Blackberry. That's why I joined CRACKBERRY and not Android Central or iMore.

Thanks for Joining CrackBerry.com - the # 1 Site for BlackBerry Users & Abusers!

If you're reading this, you have made your way into the CrackBerry.com Community Forums. This is the place to talk it up with and get to know BlackBerry Addicts from around the world.

We view the BlackBerry as a serious device that also possesses a lighter side, and it's our aim to keep the CrackBerry.com site and these forums in line with that view. We want these forums to be useful (find answers when you need them), but we also want it to be a place where you can just have some good 'ole crackberry fun with similarly-addicted individuals.

Take a couple of minutes to go through the posts that follow. They will arm you with some basic knowledge that will help you get the most out of CrackBerry.com.

Enjoy the Site!

- The Crack Team

As a Blackberry fan, I for one LIKED the post! Thanks for sharing. Nice to see a positive post about Blackberry. That's why I joined CRACKBERRY and not Android Central or iMore.
    05-10-12 03:56 PM
    As a field test of the QNX OS? It's been a wild success.
    Unfortunately, as a tablet that was supposed to be the first real competitor to the iPad, that would end amateur hour, and leapfrog the competition, it was an utter failure. Perhaps it would be viewed as a success if RIM had presented it as a beta test device for a new platform.
    05-10-12 04:00 PM
    Unfortunately, as a tablet that was supposed to be the first real competitor to the iPad, that would end amateur hour, and leapfrog the competition, it was an utter failure. Perhaps it would be viewed as a success if RIM had presented it as a beta test device for a new platform.
    Yeah... you know what? When BB10 hits the PlayBook, I get my free upgrade, and people still aren't buying them? Then you can b!tch all you want.

For now, what difference does it make to you? Why waste so much time on something you don't care for? You don't even own one.
    tjseaman likes this.
    05-10-12 04:07 PM
    I'd say it's more the betamax. Superior tech that was driven out for political purpose, I scratch your back with more $$$$ than the other guy can so I win.
    morlock_man likes this.
    05-10-12 04:10 PM
    There was some discussion in another thread about RIM instituting "radio silence" for a time before they roll out BB10. The consensus was that they can't really afford to do that on the handset side, but it might be exactly what they're doing with the Playbook.

Playbook is still selling okay at discounted prices. It will be interesting to see how well it does when the 4G version launches. As well, after BB10 it will essentially be a new device.

Wonder if we'll see a developer preview this fall like we did with 2.0?
    This.

Radio silence is a good way of putting it. Satisfy existing users with 2.0. Put all the gusto behind BB10 which will destroy 2.0 in terms of features. Stay tuned folks
    05-10-12 08:37 PM
    I don't know what you are talking about but stock price is not really relavent in any of these conversations. I don't buy products based on the stock price of the manufacturer. Which is why my own opinion is the iphone is not the right phone for me at this time. I don't care how many people use it.

Id like to point out, pet rocks were also a huge hit.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-11-12 10:11 AM
    Id like to point out, pet rocks were also a huge hit.
    This pet rock fad has gone on for 5 years now and generated billions of dollars in revenue.

I agree that consumers shouldn't make product choices based on stock price. The stock price will be impacted by the product choices that consumers make, though. No way to get around that.
    05-11-12 10:36 AM
    Correct. GM is now in the fortune 10. However, I don't see myself buying any GM product in the foreseeable future. The stock price of GM will be impacted by the product choices that consumers make in purchasing GM products. And, just because GM is in the fortune 10, doesn't mean the products are at the top of the heap.

Nothing more to say on technical excellence vs stock price.

Finally, I know it's hard to believe, but there are huge opportunities in the stock market other than Apple or GM stock.
    05-11-12 10:48 AM
    In our office we have 13 playbooks. 3 which are companied own. 4 ipads and 3 are company owned.

we have 100 employees.. People that can barely use a computer come up to me to ask how to setup their email on their playbook.. Shocks me

THe playbook stumbled horribly out of the gate, but sales have been increasing and i have a feeling they are getting close to hitting mass appeal.

Yesterday i googled a problem i was having on playbook and the results showed a discussion in japan.. I was suprised.
    05-11-12 11:08 AM
    I love when people try to make a point in an argument by saying, "I know "X" amount of people who still use this device", or, "My friends still use "X" device". Or, "I don't need this feature or that feature in my phone." And end up straying off topic or ignoring the points/facts being presented.

No fingering pointing intended, just something I noticed.
    Last edited by Moonbaseone; 05-11-12 at 03:04 PM.
    05-11-12 03:02 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD