i need software. also, is there a way to quit the application so it doesn't drain ur battery life or is it always running and draining battery?
    01-02-09 02:45 PM
    Google Maps FTW
    01-02-09 02:46 PM
    Google Maps FTW

ye but doesn't it kill ur battery? like if you are using it and press the red end key does it close the app and not waste battery or is it constantly running?
    01-02-09 02:50 PM
    I've heard of an app called like nav4all.
    01-02-09 02:54 PM
    I have both Google Maps and Nav4All on my 8310, and once you close the app, the GPS shuts down...it does not drain your battery.
    01-02-09 02:55 PM
    ye but doesn't it kill ur battery? like if you are using it and press the red end key does it close the app and not waste battery or is it constantly running?
    Almost any app will remain running in the background and drain your memory and battery if you just hit the end key to close it. To properly close an app you need to hit the menu/blackberry key and select close from the menu. To see what apps you have running in the background press and hold the alt key and hit the back button.

Though I have never tried it, I have heard Nav4all is a great GPS app. I believe it even gives turn-by-turn directions too.
    01-02-09 02:57 PM
    Anyone know of some cheap bluetooth syncing GPS devices for an 8320 that would work with one of these free apps? Does Google Maps or Nav4All do turn by turn directions?
    01-02-09 02:59 PM
    Anyone know of some cheap bluetooth syncing GPS devices for an 8320 that would work with one of these free apps? Does Google Maps or Nav4All do turn by turn directions?
    bluetooth gps, Bluetooth Accessories, New items on eBay.com
    01-02-09 03:02 PM
    Almost any app will remain running in the background and drain your memory and battery if you just hit the end key to close it. To properly close an app you need to hit the menu/blackberry key and select close from the menu. To see what apps you have running in the background press and hold the alt key and hit the back button.
    ^ this

Though I have never tried it, I have heard Nav4all is a great GPS app. I believe it even gives turn-by-turn directions too.
    It's pretty good...and free...
    01-02-09 03:21 PM
    i went and closed stuff that was open but it still shows them as open when i hit alt back?? (bbm, call log, browser, etc)
    01-02-09 03:27 PM
    I do not feel like to pay for extra $30 a month for internet and I don't see the point paying that however I would like to use the GPS but from what I understand I need internet in order to get the GPS to work?

Is there any software that comes with the pre installed maps that I can use for not paying the internet in order to get it working eh?
    01-02-09 03:29 PM
    i went and closed stuff that was open but it still shows them as open when i hit alt back?? (bbm, call log, browser, etc)
    Yep, BBM, call log, browser, messages, etc do not ever fully close. Most of them need to me running in the back ground to work properly.
    01-02-09 03:50 PM
    I do not feel like to pay for extra $30 a month for internet and I don't see the point paying that however I would like to use the GPS but from what I understand I need internet in order to get the GPS to work?

Is there any software that comes with the pre installed maps that I can use for not paying the internet in order to get it working eh?
    A BlackBerry without a data plan is just half a BlackBerry...you might as well have a regular cellphone.
    01-02-09 03:52 PM
    Do any of the free apps have turn by turn?
    01-02-09 03:52 PM
    Do any of the free apps have turn by turn?
    Nav4All does.
    01-02-09 03:53 PM

There may be some software that you can load via the desktop, but it will probably take every drop of memory that you have on your phone to load it. I know that my old TomTom had maps for all of North America and Canada on it and it required 1 Gb of memory to hold it. The main problem is that with a BB you can't run apps off the card so it would probably be required to have everything on the devise.

If you really want to avoid paying for the data plan that bad, I would just buy a regular GPS unit from Garmin, TomTom, etc. You can get them for under $100 now.
    01-02-09 03:55 PM
    Nav4All won't work unless I get one of those GPS receivers for my 8320...correct?
    01-02-09 04:21 PM
    Nav4All won't work unless I get one of those GPS receivers for my 8320...correct?
    Correct, the 8320 does not have built in GPS.
    01-02-09 04:22 PM
    okay. so i use the app, it's using battery, but when i close it properly by hitting menu-close, it's as if the app is not even on my phone and no gps is being used?
    01-02-09 07:39 PM
    i downloaded google maps for blackberry but i thought it gave you turn by turn directions which apparently it doesnt or im doing something wrong.. any suggestions?
    01-03-09 08:45 AM
    okay. so i use the app, it's using battery, but when i close it properly by hitting menu-close, it's as if the app is not even on my phone and no gps is being used?
    Correct. You got it.
    01-03-09 08:49 AM
    i downloaded google maps for blackberry but i thought it gave you turn by turn directions which apparently it doesnt or im doing something wrong.. any suggestions?
    Google Maps does not do turn by turn.
    01-03-09 08:50 AM
    Does that also mean that I will get the gps services for free also? I'm confused...
    01-03-09 08:54 AM
    If you really want to avoid paying for the data plan that bad, I would just buy a regular GPS unit from Garmin, TomTom, etc. You can get them for under $100 now.
    This is by far the best way. I have Google Maps on my phones and it is usefule asa backup or when walking in town but I use a TomTom in my car. They are cheap today and pay for themselves in under a year when compared to the pay monthly GPS apps. Also, if you travel abroad, the in phone apps use huge amounts of data that cost lots of $$$ when roaming. The TomTom (best in Europe) has all its data on a 2Gb SD card. It only connects to the network to download traffic or speed camera information and I can do that as and when I need it.
    01-03-09 08:54 AM
    what about installing bb maps??
    01-03-09 09:31 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD