What's the best GPS program for the Torch? The google maps program lets you use GPS, but isn't particularly useful in actual navigation.

I was spoiled by the free Google Navigation program on the Droid
    03-02-11 09:38 AM
    to be honest google maps has been great for me. you just get the directions set up and then go to map view and it refreshes as you move. its definately no tomtom but its free and i like that
    03-02-11 09:50 AM
    BB Maps is the best IMO as it is able to give you navigational routes.

Google mapes for exploring those places that are new and aren't listed yet on BB Maps.

Having these 2 apps in combination is the best
    03-02-11 09:54 AM
    if you are looking for a free turn by turn navigator, try waze, depend of your location it could work perfectly (like where I live) or it could be the ****tiest apps you ever used (specially if your city is not mapped by other waze user)

it's a social apps, meaning that people who used it modify the maps and all that (with the help of the area manager).
    03-02-11 09:55 AM
    The thing with Waze is it is not supported to work in all countries
    03-02-11 09:57 AM
    The thing with Waze is it is not supported to work in all countries
    I read that they should have put the europe map in it last month, not sure about other country though.
    03-02-11 10:01 AM
    Garmin. Its expensive. But its a 1-time fee and the maps are always up to date. It offers a good deal of integration. Biggest downfall is each time you get a new device or change the OS you need to re-download and get a new code and the CS isn't 24-7.
    03-02-11 10:06 AM
    I tried BB maps and it doesn't show up after downloading it.

I looked in the main area as well as in applications.

Any ideas?
    03-02-11 10:17 AM
    I tried BB maps and it doesn't show up after downloading it.

I looked in the main area as well as in applications.

Any ideas?

You cannot just download BB Maps unfortnately, after the reboot yo won't find it anywhere

The only way to install it is via BlackBerry Desktop Manager or when you upgrade your OS next time to a later version, ensure to check the box near BB Maps
    03-02-11 10:20 AM
    Weird I'm surprised BlackBerry lets you download it from them.

It even shows up under settings; it just looks like AT&T blocks it.
    03-02-11 10:31 AM
    Weird I'm surprised BlackBerry lets you download it from them.

It even shows up under settings; it just looks like AT&T blocks it.

I know, it is VERY weird, it's always been like this.
    IF you don't have BB Maps installed, you go to the BlackBerry site, then click download, then you enter your email address....

RIM then sends you a download link...you download it....after your reboot...nada.......... you can't find it even though it is listed under applications
    03-02-11 10:36 AM
    Unless ATT has changed their policy BB Maps is blocked on their devices. ATT wants us to buy their mapping system and pay a monthly fee. In my hands Waze and Google Maps do the job. The addition of BB Traffic makes a very nice combination.
    03-02-11 11:04 AM
    Waze has been great. In addition to having ELVIS as the voice of your turn by turn directions, you get the added fun of occasionally guessing whether the directions are erroneous!

Seriously....a couple of times it has sent me in the wrong direction, but I had a feeling it wasn't quite right - I've been using for a month or so. Overall it has been pretty good and the price is right.
    03-02-11 11:12 AM
    The thing with waze is it's social, when there is a problem you need to inform your area manager, and he should be able to fix the problem (if there is one). There wasn't any area manager in my region but I decide to send my application and I got the permission. A lot of my friend are using it and always send problem when they see it, it make waze very good in our region.

You can't have good experience with it if you don't have any area manager that support that region and if no one is reporting problem.
    03-02-11 11:29 AM
    ....I've been using it for about a month and I have no idea if I have an area manager (though there must be).....I'm in Toronto
    03-02-11 11:35 AM
    Since you never said 'free' I will have to agree with what 1magine posted above.
    If you want a reliable product Garmin is the best GPS Nav app with full turn by turn, spoken directions and other features.
    Second would be the TeleNAV product which I use. I only rate it second to Garmin because it costs more but since I don't have to pay for it (work does) I like it and use it weekly.

I tried Waze and for my area I found it to be unreliable.
    03-02-11 11:36 AM
    TBH, garmin is still the best turn by turn gps, but it does have a high 1st time cost
    03-02-11 09:13 PM
    I have no problem getting bbmaps working on my att bb. If you can't find it make sure you have show all checked on. On mine bbmaps was hidden. Bbmaps is just so aggravating to use for me. Its not like most gps systems where you can just type in an address and it pulls it up. Well kinda you can. You can use find then force an advanced search, but for me most addresses I search for comes back "no results". However if your looking for a busness your golden it works great. Just click find location then get directions and then imput busness nameand there you go.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-11 09:08 AM
    I have built-in for my vehicle. But, Lifeinpocket (free) is a great tool for the Torch. Turn by turn, contact integration, and lots more.

03-03-11 10:29 AM
    Telmap beta is about the only good, free gps nav option

03-03-11 10:46 AM
    I've been using BlackBerry Traffic (free from app world) and it hasn't given me many problems. The downside is that it doesn't use a map just turn by turn directions.

I've tried Google maps and the biggest problem I've had is that the directions aren't that great. They are acurate, but not the best routes and sometimes not the most direct either. It tends to push me towards freeways and highways but avoids side streets that are usually faster.
    03-03-11 01:01 PM
    If you can't find it make sure you have show all checked on. On mine bbmaps was hidden.

What are the steps to have "show all" on?

Thanks
    03-05-11 05:32 PM
    I am using Telmap beta. It works fine but you have to use the keyboard and not the touch screen.

Second would be google maps, and bb maps.

I did have Garmin on my Bold and that kicked ***. I downloaded a copy of it from a buddy and it stopped working after a year or so. Great program but I'm not big on paying for things

03-11-11 06:53 PM
    Unless ATT has changed their policy BB Maps is blocked on their devices. ATT wants us to buy their mapping system and pay a monthly fee. In my hands Waze and Google Maps do the job. The addition of BB Traffic makes a very nice combination.
    When I upgrade to a new OS I always shrink and delete BBmaps since I thought what you wrote above was true. But google maps and bing have been so disappointing on the torch. So I thought I would just see what happens if I left it there and then checked the box on loader to install it when I upgraded to .526. It says it was installed, but as others have said, there is no icon for it. So just for giggles, I went into quicklaunch and added it to the menu. Then I launched it from quicklaunch and just about sh.t my pants. There is was in all its glory.

To answer the OPs original question, the best navigation/maps for the Torch, IMHO, is BB maps WITH life in pocket, which is free and works in conjunction with BBmaps to add VOICE turn by turn directions.
    04-07-11 11:34 AM
    When I upgrade to a new OS I always shrink and delete BBmaps since I thought what you wrote above was true. But google maps and bing have been so disappointing on the torch. So I thought I would just see what happens if I left it there and then checked the box on loader to install it when I upgraded to .526. It says it was installed, but as others have said, there is no icon for it. So just for giggles, I went into quicklaunch and added it to the menu. Then I launched it from quicklaunch and just about sh.t my pants. There is was in all its glory.

To answer the OPs original question, the best navigation/maps for the Torch, IMHO, is BB maps WITH life in pocket, which is free and works in conjunction with BBmaps to add VOICE turn by turn directions.
    How can I do that...My Torch claims it has BB Maps but I can't find the icon or anything for quicklaunch. I've been using Google Maps and Bing Maps, but I won't use a map I have to pay for since those are fine.
    04-08-11 06:41 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD