Looking to find out what other are using and what you can recommend for voice calls and mp3 playback through my cars speakers. I have AUX input on my personal car, but work car does not. Radio only. So for this I will need a transmitter. I would like mimial static. I bought the "iTrip Auto Universal" FM transmitter from best buy and for $50.00 it was complete garbage. Nothing but static.

Any suggestions please?

I noticed the Motorola T505 has many good ratings. But it also seems its a few years old now. Anything better? More recent?
    01-20-10 06:37 PM
    Just an option, but this is good. I actually used that crappy device that connects through the radio and got tons of static, too.

What I did was went to Staples--or anywhere else you can find it--and bought a device that slides in through your cassette player and plugs into your headphone Jack. Then I just stream Slacker or whatnot through my car speakers. Awesome stuff.

WCM
    01-20-10 06:55 PM
    I actually just bought the T505 two days ago. I did notice a minimum amount of static using the FM transmitter but simply having it chose another frequency and changing the radio station cleared it up. I think it takes time to figure out exactly which stations work best for you. As far as using it as a hands free device it is really clear for me and I have not had any complaints from the people at the other end either. For a wireless alternative without buying a different head unit I think it was worth the money. Besides, this is portable and can be used in any vehicle or FM radio on a boat or in your home ect.
    01-20-10 07:41 PM
    Sorry, forgot to mention that the cassette device costs about 20 bucks.

WCM
    01-20-10 08:12 PM
    FYI most of the FM transmitters will be the same because of FCC regulations,

if you are handy there are great instructions on building a 2Watt FM transmitter online, you wont get any static, AND you wont get any radio station interfering with your signal.
    01-20-10 09:22 PM
    No cassette in the work car either. Just a radio. I guess ill look into picking up the T505. Thanks guys
    01-20-10 09:24 PM
    Well, I can't say it's the best, but I used a Belkin last year on our road trip out west. It was about $30 at Target. It worked fine- the main issue was the phone, as the battery power lessened the reception lessened. But that was only as it got almost fully drained. The rental only had one power outlet so it was a bit of a hassle. BUT, As I mentioned this was out west... very FEW competing signals out in the middle of nowhere. Some of those devices may only give you a few choices of frequencies to use. If you are in an urban type area with many stations, these ones are basically useless. You want one with a full range of frequency choices. that way you can adjust on the fly as conditions warrant.
    01-21-10 09:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD