What is best way to setup blackberry for Gmail? ( google apps gmail ).
    I have 9780 and BIS.
    I have setup as IMAP and it is so slow receving mail.

Is there a better way?
    05-11-11 11:55 AM
    i have heard that the gmail app itself is quite good, however i am strongly agained a 3rd party app for something the device can do already...

i have one gmail account set up as IMAP, and another, just the "regular" way... i find the IMAP one has a bit of a delay, maybe 3-4 minutes... doesn't bother me...

try just setting it up normally, and see if that works better...
    05-11-11 11:57 AM
    Tbrenn - can you tell me what you mean by "regular" way "setting it up normally" means? I appreciate your response.
    05-11-11 12:00 PM
    Adding a new email account, and providing only emailaddress and password. No additional imap/pop3 settings

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-11 12:01 PM
    I used the app and it killed my battery. It was also buggy as ****.

I use the email system that's built in to my device for both of my email addresses. It's been working great for me.
    05-11-11 01:16 PM
    We've got dozens of users on the Gmail app. It works great.
    05-11-11 01:31 PM
    After finally getting fed up with my Hotmail delay, I made a gmail account and had my hotmail forwarded to gmail, and added the gmail to my BB. Well I still notice a delay, and also, some of the messages from gmail aren't even coming to my device. I ended up deleting the gmail account from my BB. I'll just have to settle with slow hotmail.
    05-11-11 01:49 PM
    I've never had a problem with multiple gmail account on my blackberry (curve and bold). I just set them up by adding a new email account in email setup. I have all my universit mail forwarded to one of the accounts and thats pretty much instant.
    05-11-11 07:14 PM
    I've never had a problem with multiple gmail account on my blackberry (curve and bold). I just set them up by adding a new email account in email setup. I have all my universit mail forwarded to one of the accounts and thats pretty much instant.
    Same for me. I have two gmail accounts on my phone. I set them up via the setup app or what has been dubbed the normal way.

Email is delivered instantly to the phone. For example, I can be using the computer to order and pay for something online (catalog, paypal etc). Once I click the "submit" button on the computer the receipt email is on the Berry before the page on the computer loads to tell me that an email receipt has been sent.

05-11-11 10:35 PM
    Hi everyone. I tried everything and can't get gmail working right.

I used the gmail app which is really slow to push new emails.

and now I am using the default email set up. I tried pop, imap, and turning both off... and still I have two issues:

1. old emails are not showing up.

2. and new emails deleted at my PC are not deleted on my phone.

BB Bold on Verizon. Its my personal phone not a company phone. I am new to the BlackBerry world and I am lost as can be on this.

"BIS"? vzw dot blackberry dot com ..... Is that something I should/need to do in order to remedy this??

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by pointman; 06-12-11 at 01:05 AM. Reason: added more info.
    06-12-11 12:50 AM
    Even with IMAP doesn't bb only show the inbox and there is no IMAP syncing? I don't know, asking.
    06-12-11 08:19 AM
    Are you guys serious? This couldn't be easier, all you have to do is enter your email address and password then choose if you want your contacts and calendar synced.

To acces folders you press menu/filter within the gmail inbox, not messages folder.

06-12-11 08:44 AM
    Are you guys serious? This couldn't be easier, all you have to do is enter your email address and password then choose if you want your contacts and calendar synced.

To acces folders you press menu/filter within the gmail inbox, not messages folder.

Hi, unfortunately I am serious.

Thats exactly what I did... used the built in email setup, which all it asks for my gmail is email address and password then which I want to sync. I did that, and still when I delete an email on my PC, it doesn't delete on the phone. AND old emails in my gmail on my pc are not showing up on the phone.
    06-12-11 09:47 AM
    Hi everyone. I tried everything and can't get gmail working right.

I used the gmail app which is really slow to push new emails.

and now I am using the default email set up. I tried pop, imap, and turning both off... and still I have two issues:

1. old emails are not showing up.

2. and new emails deleted at my PC are not deleted on my phone.

BB Bold on Verizon. Its my personal phone not a company phone. I am new to the BlackBerry world and I am lost as can be on this.

"BIS"? vzw dot blackberry dot com ..... Is that something I should/need to do in order to remedy this??

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    old emails won't show up once you set up the gmail. new emails deleted on your pc will eventually sync up correctly on your phone but it could take hours. however, the reverse - in that if you delete from your phone first it instantly deletes from your desktop.
    06-12-11 10:07 AM
    Oh, so looks like I have it optimized? Thank you.

And the BIS site... is that something I need/should sign into?

Thanks again.
    06-12-11 10:09 AM
    What the ones above said and there's also a remote feature as well, you can search for all your old emails.

If you get emails that you don't want to see on your blackberry highlight the email, press menu and select report as spam. This removes the email from your blackberry gmail inbox and ensures you'll not get them again.

Instead of waiting for read emails to sync from pc to blackberry just use the mark prior as read and/or the delete prior options. Deleted emails will still be available via the remote search.

You can also save emails, menu/select save and then clean your inbox. The saved emails will always be available from even if you delete the whole inbox.

Folders are available by going to menu/filter, you only get the emails from when you set it up, not older ones but again, you can remote search for them.

To remote search go to gmail inbox, not messages folder, and press menu, select search as, advanced where you'll see lots of options to narrow your search.

06-12-11 11:34 AM
    Awesome! Thank you. That search function found my old emails. Glad it keeps a link to them at the top of the page too. That helps a lot. I guess I can delete the Gmail APP now that the inhouse gmail is working.

And BIS, is that something a regular user should sign up for? or do I not need it now that I got gmail working?
    06-12-11 02:30 PM
    Awesome! Thank you. That search function found my old emails. Glad it keeps a link to them at the top of the page too. That helps a lot. I guess I can delete the Gmail APP now that the inhouse gmail is working.

And BIS, is that something a regular user should sign up for? or do I not need it now that I got gmail working?
    Lol, if you were able to do what I said it means you already have BIS, blackberry internet service.

06-12-11 02:50 PM
    Oh... haha! The BlackBerry world is sooo different from the Android world. I am truly confused.

Thanks for the help. The whole BIS thing is confusing. I saw that vza dot blackberry website and was even more lost cause I never signed up for it and didn't know if it was for business company phones or anything.
    06-12-11 08:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD