Hi all,
    I am planning to purchase a playbook. Is there any positive side of it regardless they are discontinued?

"Keep Moving" Z10
    10-07-13 07:33 PM
    PlayBook plays nicely with BlackBerry smartphones via Bridge, and it's got a nice pair of front facing speakers. But other than that it's a two and a half year old dead end product with a weak ecosystem and that will get no further significant software updates. If you like the 7" form factor, you'd get a better bang for your dollar with a 2013 Nexus 7 or waiting to see what the rumoured upcoming 2013 iPad mini will look like. I can't recommend anyone pickup a PlayBook at this point regardless of how cheap it may be, given what's now available.
    10-07-13 07:46 PM
    The speakers are good
    10-07-13 07:48 PM
    The Playbook is a good deal if one can acquire one cheaply and it meets your requirements.
    10-08-13 01:20 AM
    Use mine every night

Q10 10.2.0.1725 thanks BL Team
    10-08-13 01:21 AM
    Even at $199 and below, you should really think twice about getting a Playbook, mainly because its so old. (The software situation doesn't help either)

You can get a Kindle Fire HD for 139, which is a similar size as the Playbook, but newer and faster and with a better screen. The new Kindles go for $199 and come with a HD screen.

I believe that Nook also have some good sales at around $150. Try to look around online for some sales.

And finally, if you have the budget for it, there's the iPad Mini at $329. Its undoubtedly the best market right now when it comes to software, there should be a new model coming in October.

Half a year ago, I would have said go get the Playbook if you can find it for under $199, its a great buy! But now, age has just caught up to it, and there are a lot of better (in terms of both hardware and software) options available for under 200 dollars.
    richardat and Etios like this.
    10-08-13 02:04 AM
    New iPads should be out this month, with a rumoured Retina iPad Mini...

If you want a "cheap" tablet NOW, I'd probably suggest the new Nexus 7.
    If you really like Amazon, their new Kindle.

To buy a PlayBook right now, probably isn't the best choice, as the device has no future support and it's pretty slow, by today's standards.
    The ecosystem is somewhere near inexistant and the specs are old.

One positiv could be a very cheap 64GB version, for the case of you having lots of music and videos.
    But that's pretty much the only good thing about buying a PlayBook right now.

Posted via CB10
    richardat likes this.
    10-08-13 02:36 AM
    If you think the PB might be for you, maybe you should pick one up used - depending on where you live. In Canada, I knew a guy who got one for 50$ quite a few months ago. A quick look at used listings shows many for 100, and some for 75. My guess is you could pick one up for 55-75$ without much trouble - many were not used much - bought at a discount in the first place. Then you can try it out.
    10-08-13 02:44 AM
    I haven't seen a PB in forever. I'm wouldn't get one due to the old hardware.
    10-08-13 04:07 AM
    For what?

Sent from my BlackBerry
    10-08-13 04:29 AM
    thanks guys for the comments and suggestions.
    i would look into note 8.0 or nexus 7.
    10-08-13 05:00 AM
    Yeah dude get the nexus 7 it's cheap and 10 times better than the playbook! Also much thinner and lighter

Sent from my BlackBerry
    10-08-13 05:01 AM
    Me too.

Channel: C001201DD for media!
    10-08-13 03:06 PM
    For what?

Sent from my BlackBerry
    I still use mine for streaming video. If you get it for cheap, it's still an excellent device for that if nothing else.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 03:30 PM
    I just picked up a used one for $60 as my second (for the kids)

I don't know that I would pay more than $100 considering the state of affairs.

Check out my AZ MTB Channel C0006F5EB
    10-08-13 03:59 PM
    Its best deal to run as far as you can away from the playbook
    10-08-13 04:05 PM
    have ppl checked how cheap android tablet are? cant see any reason to get a playbook
    10-08-13 04:11 PM
    Geez guys...

What if the PlayBook had all the apps OP needs? What if OP only wants to stream vids and use the browser? Yes, PB hardware is old but it still runs great and quick. For the price of it today, it's worth it. Even though it might not be supported any longer, it's still a great tablet. Especially bridge with your BlackBerry phones.

Sigh...

Posted via CB10
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    10-08-13 04:15 PM
    10-08-13 04:20 PM
    lol, the new Nexus tablets won't even play Flash so they are hopeless at streaming videos.

If you want a sexy tablet that is great with Bridge (to a BlackBerry phone), great sound, plays Flash flawlessly, can be secured with password and encryption, has plenty of storage and is CHEAP ... get a 64GB PlayBook for next to nothing!
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    10-08-13 04:27 PM
    The PlayBook may meet the OP's needs but the nexus 7 will exceed them!

Nexus 7's are so cheap you would be dumb to pick a slow playbook over it.

Being a BlackBerry fan is one thing but don't take it too far.

Sent from my BlackBerry
    10-08-13 04:29 PM
    The PlayBook may meet the OP's needs but the nexus 7 will exceed them!

Nexus 7's are so cheap you would be dumb to pick a slow playbook over it.

Being a BlackBerry fan is one thing but don't take it too far.

Sent from my BlackBerry
    doesn't the nexus 7 needs to be added as an extra line to get data??? the playbook (bridged to a BB phone) uses the phones' data line, via wifi & 3g,,, no hdmi out either,,, not to mention they (giggle) want you to leave all your data on some "cloud"...
    10-08-13 04:36 PM
    use mine everyday ,

email and web browsing v good
    plays video web and sound is v good
    BB Bridge allows sharing of your phones data plan which is very convenient sometimes ( like when travelling)
    KObo reader is available, I have Kindle sideloaded on mine and use it more than my Kindle
    mini HMDI out is great and works well, play it onto hotel TVs when I travel ( if the allow) and use the BB phone as a remote.
    or could use this facility for presentations at work

Also very solid piece

I got a 32GB model, refurbished on EBay for $130 earlier this yr
    Consider it a good buy but perhaps a lower price would be expected now

If you need to have the latest Apps/Games you wont be happy but if you use it like I use mine you will be impressed.

BTW , playbook experience, made me want to see how these paradigms would be adapted and expanded onto the BB 10 phones
    10-08-13 04:41 PM
    Geez guys...

What if the PlayBook had all the apps OP needs? What if OP only wants to stream vids and use the browser? Yes, PB hardware is old but it still runs great and quick. For the price of it today, it's worth it. Even though it might not be supported any longer, it's still a great tablet. Especially bridge with your BlackBerry phones.

Sigh...

Posted via CB10
    Unless there's something specific and only available on the PlayBook the OP wants, it's just hard to recommend it when you consider what else is available. There are newer, faster options available with current specs that for a little more money, would probably last longer instead of being behind 2 and a half years right off the bat.

Posted via CB10
    ihys and Etios like this.
    10-08-13 05:19 PM
    Yeah dude get the nexus 7 it's cheap and 10 times better than the playbook! Also much thinner and lighter

Sent from my BlackBerry
    I have both PB and new Nexus 7 and the Nexus is only 7.5 times better.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    10-08-13 05:22 PM
49 12