So I am the one who is cherry picking, but you literally pick one quote out of my post and context. Riiiiiight.

I'm not cherry picking at all, because, as I said, I talked about basic file handling. As said, file handling is probably the most basic stuff a PC does. Far more basic than multi-windowing or plugging in a PlayStation Controller or installing custom UI shells.
    iOS does do basic file handling, it just doesn't allow the user to have much control over it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    07-21-13 01:42 PM
    If they have a trackball they're definitely not BB7. They may not even be BB6 lol
    Yep, if it has a trackball, it's running OS 5 at best, and doing a particularly laggy job of it too.
    BB10 is not QNX. iOS is not UNIX. Android is not Linux.

Thorsten can run his mouth all he wants about his lofty visions of "mobile computing". No one believes that he can pull it off, based on Blackberry's record over the last 5 years.

What would your reaction be if I went on a major news network and said that we could achieve world peace if everyone just held hands and sang "we will overcome?"

That's what the tech world's reaction to Thor's hallucinatory interview has been. I'd hold off on the comparisons to Henry Ford and Steve Jobs.
    True. Even Microsoft can't seem to sell windows 8 RT. (for arm). BlackBerry has no chance to do this in any near future I can see. They'll be fortunate to even remain a hardware maker at all unless something changes.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    So I am the one who is cherry picking, but you literally pick one quote out of my post and context. Riiiiiight.

I'm not cherry picking at all, because, as I said, I talked about basic file handling. As said, file handling is probably the most basic stuff a PC does. Far more basic than multi-windowing or plugging in a PlayStation Controller or installing custom UI shells.

"Basic stuff" can be defined widely.

Posted via CB10
    you both are cherry picking to make you points work in your favor. There isnt an OS out there that has it all from the factory and they all require apps. Hell I buy Nexus devices for the fact they are stipped down to barebones and missing many features that come stock on other devices.
    tack likes this.
    07-21-13 02:04 PM
    I actually agree entirely about the hardware specs. There's a point where the hardware is "fast enough" for what you're doing. As of right now, I'm not seeing tremendous gains in fluidity from a quad core CPU. This will definitely change in the future, but I don't foresee it being a huge deal before the next wave of devices is released. For the pure functionality of a phone (facebook, twitter, SMS/MMS, and phone calls), I think getting to these sections of your phone, and using it, and going back to what you were doing, completely seamlessly, is a big deal. The Galaxy S4 is a refresh of the Galaxy S3, much like all other android based devices. iPhone 5 is a multi-level refresh of the first iPhone. Same thing, different packaging, and different hardware. That being said, it's what the majority of the world is used to right now, so why would they buy something else? Just get an upgraded model of what you've been used to while BlackBerry was still screwing around with weak hardware specs. It's what the carriers tell you to do, they don't want to teach you BB10. You already know iOS and Android, they can sell 2 or 3 of these to the people in the time it would take them to teach someone else, let alone learn the device themselves.
    07-21-13 02:25 PM

"Basic stuff" can be defined widely.
    Basic stuff can be defined widely, but you already defined it. I was simply using your definition.

"I just want my mobile computing device to be able to do the basic stuff anybody knows from PCs. In particular, that is:
    - downloading/uploading/saving/sending/receiving/cutting/copying/pasting renaming files, whatever the source is.
    - showing file properties with formats and size"

This is a pretty low bar - Palm and old Winmo devices had these in the late 90s. iOS also does file management - how could it not - Apple just chose not to provide file management. They designed it this way for security and to discourage piracy.

Your initial statement was stronger, that any device that can't do "basic computer stuff" is a dumb device. It turns out your statement is way more specific, that any device without a file manager is a dumb device. What an odd choice to pick on though, file management. There is a ton of basic computer stuff that the Z10 is not capable of, but that stuff doesn't count for whatever reason.
    07-21-13 04:57 PM
    True. Even Microsoft can't seem to sell windows 8 RT. (for arm). BlackBerry has no chance to do this in any near future I can see. They'll be fortunate to even remain a hardware maker at all unless something changes.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    Well said. BlackBerry can't go head to head with Samsung, Microsoft and Apple when it comes to underwriting hardware to penetrate the market. Especially not now when the cellular market is saturated with smartphones and people are resisting upgrading (on all platforms).

It's the software, stupid! BlackBerry's future is in software. MANAGE all hardware platforms on the server end, push BBM cross platform, develop the automotive market for the OS, and look to the future. The cellular war / goldrush is over... As is the tablet war...

We're seeing Google Glasses and iWatch for a reason. The vendors know the game is up when it comes to cell phones and huge growth. It's on to the next thing.

That's where BlackBerry needs to aim. And they need to aim as a software provider not an all in one HW/SW company. That's the past.
    anon(5624621) likes this.
    07-21-13 05:13 PM
    Well said. BlackBerry can't go head to head with Samsung, Microsoft and Apple when it comes to underwriting hardware to penetrate the market. Especially not now when the cellular market is saturated with smartphones and people are resisting upgrading (on all platforms).

It's the software, stupid! BlackBerry's future is in software. MANAGE all hardware platforms on the server end, push BBM cross platform, develop the automotive market for the OS, and look to the future. The cellular war / goldrush is over... As is the tablet war...

We're seeing Google Glasses and iWatch for a reason. The vendors know the game is up when it comes to cell phones and huge growth. It's on to the next thing.

That's where BlackBerry needs to aim. And they need to aim as a software provider not an all in one HW/SW company. That's the past.
    Software....

QNX isn't worth what many here seem to think it is. It's cool to drive a fancy and expensive car if for a demo. It is a different thing when no one is talking about the license fees.

BBRY / RIM has never been known as a marker of top of the line software, actually quite the opposite. And as robust as BB10 is, it takes a lot to power it.

As for BES and BBM they are both great applications... but both are BIG question marks when it comes to them being generators of capital.

Really everything for BBRY is depending upon BB10 being a viable platform.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 05:40 PM
    Software....

QNX isn't worth what many here seem to think it is. It's cool to drive a fancy and expensive car if for a demo. It is a different thing when no one is talking about the license fees.

BBRY / RIM has never been known as a marker of top of the line software, actually quite the opposite. And as robust as BB10 is, it takes a lot to power it.

As for BES and BBM they are both great applications... but both are BIG question marks when it comes to them being generators of capital.

Really everything for BBRY is depending upon BB10 being a viable platform.

Posted via CB10
    Very good points, and I don't disagree completely with what you're saying.

However...

Forget about QNX and whether or not it's the saviour of BlackBerry for the moment...

They're still well positioned on the server end to manage the enterprise; BBM is definitely a well written piece of software when it comes to social communication and has the added benefit of security; BB10 OS is an excellent OS as far as I'm concerned and if BlackBerry is allowed to develop the OS as long as Apple/Android I'm sure it will get better;

Like you, I'm well aware of the risks, the downsides and the negative press. And like you, I'm also aware that BlackBerry is far from perfect as a company.

On the upside, I'm a fan of the OS. All warts aside, the software engineers at BlackBerry are DELIVERING when it comes to functionality... At least as far as I'm concerned. I switched from iOS because of the keyboard, and I still don't regret switching. All things being equal, I plan on staying with BlackBerry till the bitter end if it actually comes to that.
    07-21-13 05:53 PM
    Now reading through the Crackberry forums, I notice a lot of people complaining at the lack of certain things such as apps (instagram, netflix) and features (quad core processors, 1080p) to name a few
    People are upset, saying BlackBerry should just give us what we want as consumers and that will be the fix. In my opinion however the best companies in the world don't give consumers what they want, they TELL them what they want.

A quote I really enjoy is
    "If I asked my customers what they want, we would just have a faster horse" (Henry Ford)

Companies telling consumers what they want and need is what spurs on innovation and the best of ideas. Blackberry is trying to tell us that
    -We want quad core/octacore processors, what we really need is QNX BB10 which runs efficiently and effectively with just a dual core with improved battery life
    -We want all the top apps like instagram and netflix, what we really need is a mobile browser with the highest HTML5 score on the market as everything will become web based in the near future and you will need a browser which will run everything
    -We want a tablet and Laptop to have an ecosystem, what we really need is one QNX device that you can connect to any peripheral such as a monitor or car, and it will instantly provide the processing power, and load up all of your data straight away (mobile computing)

The list goes on. Now I know this may make me sound deluded and I am just blindly defending BlackBerry, but I am not. BlackBerry is going through a transition and there will be some growing pains, and there are no guarantees if it will make it or not. But in my opinion, the idea of what BlackBerry envisions for the future of mobile really excites me and I believe it is better than what we currently have. We have reached critical mass, all we are doing now is simply upgrading phones with faster processors and better screens. BlackBerry is trying to shift the game completely into mobile computing.

I hope they make it, but we will have to wait and see.
    OP let me point out that this is not one of the best companies in the world. In 2008 yes today not even close. As for Mr. Henry Ford he also has some additional quotes you may be interested in his book, "The International Jew" OP be careful whom you hitch your Wagon to.
    07-21-13 06:01 PM
    1) IBM 5,896

2) Samsung 4,551

3) Microsoft 3,094

4) Canon 2,552

5) Panasonic 2,482

6) Toshiba 2,246

7) Sony 2,150

8) Intel 1,653

9) LG Electronics 1,490

10) Hewlett-Packard 1,480

BrandVoice: IBM and its Stranglehold on Patent Leadership - Forbes

Patents drive innovation. Patents are created to tell consumers what they want.

Example:
    Cloud computing is coming of age. The model of computing known as “the cloud” delivers on-demand
    computing over the Internet. It brings new scale and efficiency to service delivery and enables more agile ways of doing business.

If we analyse this, you will realize the company is telling the consumers. You need to realize the company is predicting the consumers will like it for certain reasons. (ie speed)
    07-21-13 08:35 PM
    iOS does do basic file handling, it just doesn't allow the user to have much control over it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    YES. I SAID THAT ("...unless it's jailbroken").

Posted via CB10
    07-22-13 05:00 AM
    Basic stuff can be defined widely, but you already defined it. I was simply using your definition.

"I just want my mobile computing device to be able to do the basic stuff anybody knows from PCs. In particular, that is:
    - downloading/uploading/saving/sending/receiving/cutting/copying/pasting renaming files, whatever the source is.
    - showing file properties with formats and size"

This is a pretty low bar - Palm and old Winmo devices had these in the late 90s. iOS also does file management - how could it not - Apple just chose not to provide file management. They designed it this way for security and to discourage piracy.

Your initial statement was stronger, that any device that can't do "basic computer stuff" is a dumb device. It turns out your statement is way more specific, that any device without a file manager is a dumb device. What an odd choice to pick on though, file management. There is a ton of basic computer stuff that the Z10 is not capable of, but that stuff doesn't count for whatever reason.
    Just stop. At least I'll do it right now. It's a waste of time.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-13 05:01 AM
138 ... 456