I called 3 different Future Shops (owned by Best Buy) and got transferred to the ConnectPro Computer Services (aka Geek Squad). I asked all 3 stores the same question and I got 3 different answers. One store said they have to send my laptop out for cleaning cause of my extended warranty. The other store said it will cost me $20 while my extended warranty does not cover it. The third store said they can clean the laptop with compressed air like that without opening it, but to clean the internals and apply thermal paste they would need to send it out cause that's how it works with extended warranty.

So I went to the 3rd store I called only to find out, the sales people there are complete morons in terms of technology. I asked to see an i7 17.3" laptop and he shows me an i5. I fully called him a bad word and went to a next guy. I asked if they have any and he said no we don't have any on display, but I can check the system and provide you the info and order it for you. Me and that sales person shot the stuff for a while and I asked to speak to the manager cause for once, I finally found a person who is not a total fool and understands technology to some extent. Gave him a good recommendation, he deserved it.

Then there was an another incompetent sales person when I went to check out the Galaxy Nexus (quite a sexy phone, I want! But my heart is with BlackBerry). He points me to a display unit, the ones that are actually real phones and the damn phone doesn't turn on. I tell him the phones broken won't turn on and he's like no it works. He sat there for 2 minutes holding the power button on the phone. Buddy if it doesn't turn on within 10 seconds the phone is toast.

Basically saying, Best Buy and Future Shop you find the most useless sales people with no knowledge in terms of desktops, laptops, tablets or any sort of electronic. Do your research before you go to these stores and ask them about the product cause you will get the wrong information.
    Hilarious. What about asking them if any of their PC computers for sale would work with GNU/Linux? I wonder if they're going to say "they won't", because they will. PS. Bring a live CD or USB with you to prove it works, prove them wrong too!
    01-08-12 02:48 AM
    Hilarious. What about asking them if any of their PC computers for sale would work with GNU/Linux? I wonder if they're going to say "they won't", because they will. PS. Bring a live CD or USB with you to prove it works, prove them wrong too!
    Better yet, ask them If it'll run the Blackcomb OS (Win7's codename).
    01-08-12 02:53 AM
    Better yet, ask them If it'll run the Blackcomb OS (Win7's codename).

That might get them wondering. Lol
    01-08-12 02:56 AM
    I have done that before, the technician asked what's Linux/Ubuntu. I don't understand how you can be A+ Certified but not know what Linux/Ubuntu is. When I was shopping for my laptop a year ago, I always check the internals. I don't think many people know this, but if you go to start and type in "dxdiag" (win7/vista or start > run > "dxdiag" in XP) and click "Yes" you will get some good details about the system. The sales person saw me and asked what that is and how to get in that. He literally went to get a paper and a pen to write it down. I just don't get how they can hire these incompetent sales people, it bogs my mind.
    Last edited by lengend; 01-08-12 at 03:07 AM. Reason: added attachments
    01-08-12 03:02 AM
    Anyone with enough computer knowledge to provide the proper level of support to BestBuy customers could get a much better job in actual IT work without having to deal with your average BestBuy customer. You get what you pay for...
    01-08-12 03:07 AM
    Anyone with enough computer knowledge to provide the proper level of support to BestBuy customers could get a much better job in actual IT work without having to deal with your average BestBuy customer. You get what you pay for...
    Dammit I wish they would hire me in geek squad or at best buy's computer tech area. I have some expertees that isn't being put to use. I did apply there and got no response...
    01-08-12 03:18 AM
    The solution you're proposing would go a great ways in helping B&M stores, but Best Buy may be beyond that point of help. They've closed UK stores, tried 3rd party online listings (a la Amazon, Newegg), experimented with downsizing their stores, but are still hemorrhaging. Their CS, policies, and in-store antics are now getting noticed big time. This year, many B&M retailers flubbed holiday time orders, but the most commonly used example was Best Buy. If a national online sales tax goes in effect here, I'm sure Amazon will enact some pretty aggressive (and creative) measures to stay competitive, all the while touting their CS which is, at this point, miles ahead of Best Buy.

I agree there is much more to be desired from Best Buy then just price parity, BUT price parity has shown to help the B&M stores in Canada,
    The Canadian Buying public is far more retail friendly/focused than the US, though the US public has started to adopt more Canadian Retail presentation, Best Buy and the like would have to create a strategy to stay relevant, whilst taking advantage of their buying power, and their ability to display products.

FutureShop used to have exclusive TV models, I know my First LCD TV cost me $50 more at FutureShop than a similar LG TV would have cost me at another store, that $50 got me 120Hz refresh rate, and it weighed about 2lbs less than the other model I could have purchased, I am not sure if BestBuy/FS still have exclusive TV models, BUT, IF I was at Best Buy I would start negotiations with Major manufacturers for Premium exclusive content of which they will display predominately and feature in locations, The ability to physically feature products and the impulse buying and instant gratification are things that bode well for B&M stores over Online retailers, BUT B&M need to develop better training programs, and need to aggressively use their advantages, being able to process shipping centrally but ship products from the nearest B&M store, to keep shipping costs down, creating bonuses for instore pick ups, and reward bonuses for instore purchases, getting people in the door gets people spending more.
    01-08-12 07:26 AM
    I prefer the b & m shopping experience I'm accustomed to where everything is always in stock to the online shopping experience, the waiting, the dealing with UPS & FedEx. It matters most when buying anything for the first time. For example, I wanted fountain pens. I went to the boutique and purchased them. They cost considerably less online, but without the opportunity to handle them, I doubt I would have them even today, ten years later. Now that I have some pens, I would probably consider an online purchase to save money, but I really hate it when no stores are around or ther's nothing in stock in the moments when I need or want something. It makes me think of those Soviet stores that never had enough bread or milk or anything.
    01-08-12 08:36 AM
    I have not been in a Best Buy in a very long time. I stopped buying from them when they started charging a restocking fee, even if you did not open the package. They lost a GOOD customer by doing that. It was almost like you had to buy something and take it home and try it, because no one in the store knew anything about what they were selling and most times the display units were not working properly or at all.
    01-08-12 05:18 PM
    Us consumers in the United States feverishly seek out what is thought to be the cheapest price for any product we seek, while at the same time feverishly complain about poor customer service. It's sort of mind boggling to me. I have been guilty of it myself, but more often lately I think about my purchase(s) a bit more rationally.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    01-08-12 06:30 PM
    @chisler I think it's more of the philosophy of "If it's worth having, it's worth buying." Many won't buy something they like from a brick&mortar store if the peopl do something to stop making a product desirable. It's one of the reasons why some stores are upping their game in terms of pricing and how they treat customers.

Then again, I've four years of retail and customer service experience.. probably that experience talking.
    wcgarette likes this.
    01-09-12 06:11 PM
    @NightSprinter- I agree that sometimes poor customer service will or could prevent a consumer from making a purchase. It has prevented me, at local brick n mortar stores. I do not have any qualifications in retail but I can't help but to ponder if the local stores had more consumer support ($) they could hire/train better staff. Idunno. Chicken or the egg?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    01-09-12 07:40 PM
    You're not often going to get great knowledgeable service from a big box retailer like best buy or future shop. They make their money by having lower prices to draw customers in. They have lower prices by having mostly low-paid minimum wage staff, so you end up with young people who are there because it's a job, not because they have any great knowledge working with technology. Anybody with qualifications probably is able to find a better position somewhere else.
    01-09-12 08:00 PM
    You're not often going to get great knowledgeable service from a big box retailer like best buy or future shop. They make their money by having lower prices to draw customers in. They have lower prices by having mostly low-paid minimum wage staff, so you end up with young people who are there because it's a job, not because they have any great knowledge working with technology. Anybody with qualifications probably is able to find a better position somewhere else.
    Exactly. It's like expecting to have a deep discussion about gourmet burgers with the guy at the McDonald's register...
    01-09-12 08:13 PM
    01-10-12 07:07 AM
    Theft at Best Buy is a huge problem, with not just products walking out, but gift card theft as well. Some of these 'kids' who don't know anything about the products they're selling can nevertheless hack into the company's computer systems and authorize themselves hefty gift cards. I know because a friend of one of my employees does this, and I have been offered a $1000 gift card for $300 (I turned it down). My employee bought his laptop with one of these stolen gift cards as well.
    01-10-12 07:35 AM
    How is this thread BlackBerry News? Probably more appropriate in General Discussion forum.
    01-10-12 07:10 PM
    How is this thread BlackBerry News? Probably more appropriate in General Discussion forum.
    How is this a post to this thread? Probably more appropriate as a Report This Post...

j/k
    01-10-12 07:40 PM
    Heh, oy. In all seriousness, to an extent Best Buy does sell some Blackberry products. It would mean one less B&M store to offer those products that isn't a phone company's store.
    01-14-12 02:35 AM
    If you really want to know how the company is doing, take a look at their SEC filings.

SEC Filings - Investor Relations - Best Buy Co., Inc.

As I have said before. They are a long way from going out of business. Would I buy stock, not yet but soon. RIMM is still a better buy right now if you want to make a few bucks.
    01-15-12 06:37 PM
    I WOULD miss Best Buy. I worked there while I was in high school and early college but admit that I didn't know as much about some of the products I was selling as I should have/wish I had. It is also the only reason I was able to purchase my first "home theater" setup. Their employee discount is nothing to joke about.

I think Best Buy still provides the tactile portion involved in researching a product. I also think it will become pretty difficult to purchase larger items such as flat panel TV without a big box store.

If a product is close to the same price as it is in the store I will usually buy it in store simply because I like the immediate satisfaction and getting to pick which one (product) I take home. I personally believe it's easier to return things to the Best Buy, simply take it back and they'll exchange it usually no questions asked. I hate going to the post office.

I suppose my main argument comes down to how fast I am able to play with my new toy . All this said, please never buy any type of cable from Best Buy.
    01-19-12 12:01 AM
    I don't think best buy is going to go out of business, at least not anytime soon.
    01-19-12 09:03 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD