Hey, everyone.

What is the best BlackBerry strictly for use as a cell phone and text messaging, apart from any smartphone capability?
    07-09-17 11:50 AM
    Well... every BlackBerry that works with the networks available today are all smartphones. Even the legacy OS 6 and 7 phones (any of the ones that have 3G capability). A lot of carriers are thinking of shutting down their 2G Edge networks making those 2G only phones useless. AT&T already has done that.

Joel
    07-09-17 01:30 PM
    Why bother with a BlackBerry if that's your criteria?

Are you really asking for the best keyboard device?
    07-09-17 01:45 PM
    Can't really divorce blackberry from smartphone.
    07-09-17 01:48 PM
    BlackBerry Passport SE
    07-09-17 02:12 PM
    9780,for 3G,for the awsome keyboard and better battery VS 9900

Via classic
    07-09-17 02:22 PM
    Why not just a bottom of the barrel phone from the cell shop?
    07-09-17 04:50 PM
    Thanks for the input, everyone.

Well, I have been wrestling with a KEYone for the past week but just cannot get it to function properly with even a dozen or so third-party apps without the screen going spastic and rendering the phone unusable to me.

And, I'm getting weary of navigating the world of apps on a device without a proper physical keyboard.

So, if I can't get the kind of phone I want to function properly, I may just ditch the app world entirely.

But I would still want a cellphone I could text with with a PKB, hence my original inquiry.

Would a BB Classic fit the bill?
    07-09-17 07:33 PM
    Thanks for the input, everyone.

Well, I have been wrestling with a KEYone for the past week but just cannot get it to function properly with even a dozen or so third-party apps without the screen going spastic and rendering the phone unusable to me.

And, I'm getting weary of navigating the world of apps on a device without a proper physical keyboard.

So, if I can't get the kind of phone I want to function properly, I may just ditch the app world entirely.

But I would still want a cellphone I could text with with a PKB, hence my original inquiry.

Would a BB Classic fit the bill?
    There's absolutely no reason for the behaviour you're describing. What on earth are you doing to that thing? Lol
    07-09-17 07:37 PM
    I re-read your original post and I realized something. There is no such thing as any smartphone that functions separately of its processing capabilities. Every app runs off the processor.
    07-09-17 07:49 PM
    I haven't tried a K1 yet but plan to get one. Your experience sounds abnormal to me... ???

9900 makes an excellent data entry handset. Best KB ever, imo. Absolute master of comfortable single handed proficiency. Imo, of course. My company utilizes several dozen deactivated 9900s as wifi only data entry terminals for spreadsheet editing in a unique field service we provide. NOthing challenges it for zero error typing rate in our testing. And we've tested quite a few! It's so convenient for spreadsheet editing that we joke about how Microsoft should provide a deactivated 9900 data entry handset with each copy of Excel!! Of course it would be nice if MS had a real Excel app for 9900 but... lol.

We use the things in mostly out of position contortion conditions. And have developed unbridled respect for their solid single handed proficiency.

BUT, all is not perfect... The 9900's capacitive touch screen can send it off to never never land at the slightest unintentional touch. Back key will usually get you back but some in my office dig out old non-touch 9650 when they're REALY crawling thru tight spots... fwiw.

Also, both 9900 and 9650 are quite miserable without BIS. No one really knows how long BIS is for this earth, so... Classic might be worthy candidate?? Frequently dual carry 9900 and Classic. Tool belt makes Classic relatively single handed friendly. Two single handed friendly handsets inevitably lead to simultaneous "double fisted" use. Truly wonderful for checking maps, contacts, calendar, browsing, etc in one hand while talking or messaging in the other hand. Fwiw.

Be warned, tho. 9900's exquisite keyboard is addictive. It literally charms the sentences from your thumbs... and you wind up boring everyone with ridiculously long posts... lol.
    NightFire likes this.
    07-09-17 08:13 PM
    Hi Vaughn,

I wonder why do you need so many apps on your KEYone? You should be able to uninstall them, and use the basic android without a problem. What are the apps that you downloaded, and why?
    07-09-17 08:26 PM
    Yeah, I agree this should not be happening. All I have been attempting to do is install a couple dozen apps.
    07-10-17 05:24 AM
    Yeah, I agree this should not be happening. All I have been attempting to do is install a couple dozen apps.
    Like Denise, I'd be curious what apps you downloaded. Perhaps it's a poorly coded app.

Also, if you are willing to forgo the app world anyway, why not keep the KeyOne and wipe it back to factory settings?
    TGR1 likes this.
    07-10-17 05:51 AM
    Well, I don't have with me my list of the apps I've been trying to install, but the last batch I attempted included CrackBerry, PNC Virtual Wallet, American Express Mobile, Bank of America, Capital One, Citibank, Discover, Facebook, Messenger, Pages Manager, and a few others, I think.

As to the point of forgoing the app world and not keep the KeyOne, well, I don't feel like paying close to $600 (including the $35 for the case) just to do that when I could easily go with a Classic for a fraction of that.
    TGR1 likes this.
    07-10-17 11:31 AM
    07-10-17 11:31 AM
    Hmmm... Okay. I'm having problems posting my replies to specific comments.

I must have invoked a BlackBerry curse upon myself or something... Sheesh.
    07-10-17 11:32 AM
    Hi Vaughn,

I wonder why do you need so many apps on your KEYone? You should be able to uninstall them, and use the basic android without a problem. What are the apps that you downloaded, and why?
    Hi, Denise.

Well, as I mentioned elsewhere: "CrackBerry, PNC Virtual Wallet, American Express Mobile, Bank of America, Capital One, Citibank, Discover, Facebook, Messenger, Pages Manager, and a few others, I think."

As to why I'm downloading apps? Well, I like the convenience of having most of my financial accounts accessible via app.

I don't really see what difference "why" makes, though. This device ought to be able to handle a few dozen apps, seems to me. I mean, my Samsung Galaxy S6, which is two years old, handles them just fine; always has. It's hard to figure out. Ultimately, if the phone can't provide me what I'm looking for in a smartphone, I see no one to hold on to it.
    TGR1 likes this.
    07-10-17 11:36 AM
    Hi, Denise.

Well, as I mentioned elsewhere: "CrackBerry, PNC Virtual Wallet, American Express Mobile, Bank of America, Capital One, Citibank, Discover, Facebook, Messenger, Pages Manager, and a few others, I think."

As to why I'm downloading apps? Well, I like the convenience of having most of my financial accounts accessible via app.

I don't really see what difference "why" makes, though. This device ought to be able to handle a few dozen apps, seems to me. I mean, my Samsung Galaxy S6, which is two years old, handles them just fine; always has. It's hard to figure out. Ultimately, if the phone can't provide me what I'm looking for in a smartphone, I see no one to hold on to it.

It was very confusing the way you state it in your earlier post -

to make me think that you were getting apps to make the phone function properly... but what you are really doing is getting apps that give you convienence, which is different.

Sorry that I didn't know what you meant to say.
    07-10-17 01:14 PM
    It was very confusing the way you state it in your earlier post -

to make me think that you were getting apps to make the phone function properly... but what you are really doing is getting apps that give you convienence, which is different.

Sorry that I didn't know what you meant to say.
    Thanks, Denise.

Yes, I want the various apps for the convenience.

Sorry my wording was confusing.

This whole process has been a brain drain for me, frankly.

Thanks for weighing in and sharing your thoughts; much appreciated.

:-)
    07-10-17 02:52 PM
    Well, I don't have with me my list of the apps I've been trying to install, but the last batch I attempted included CrackBerry, PNC Virtual Wallet, American Express Mobile, Bank of America, Capital One, Citibank, Discover, Facebook, Messenger, Pages Manager, and a few others, I think.

As to the point of forgoing the app world and not keep the KeyOne, well, I don't feel like paying close to $600 (including the $35 for the case) just to do that when I could easily go with a Classic for a fraction of that.
    Well, I am using CrackBerry and the Bank of America app with no issues (if that helps). I use Metal for Facebook (and Messenger--as long as isn't set in Legacy mode). It requires less permissions and lets you access Twitter, too (if that's your thing).

I really hope you solve your issue. I have heard others have had great results with a factory reset. I haven't had to do that because I basically went clean and didn't transfer anything over. I understand, of course, if that is an unrealistic option for some. I have multiple devices, so it didn't hurt so much.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-17 11:47 PM
    Well, I am using CrackBerry and the Bank of America app with no issues (if that helps). I use Metal for Facebook (and Messenger--as long as isn't set in Legacy mode). It requires less permissions and lets you access Twitter, too (if that's your thing).

I really hope you solve your issue. I have heard others have had great results with a factory reset. I haven't had to do that because I basically went clean and didn't transfer anything over. I understand, of course, if that is an unrealistic option for some. I have multiple devices, so it didn't hurt so much.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for that.

I ended up just sending the KEYone back to Amazon for a refund. Amazon makes it extremely easy to return the device, but, interestingly, it did not offer me the choice to return or replace it. Either I could work with tech support or get a refund; I chose the latter.

Other third-party sellers were offering the K1 on Amazon for $799 -- not happening for me, not this early in the roll out.

I did check with Best Buy, too. None in stock, but I did sign up to be notified via email when they do become available.

In the meantime, I went ahead and ordered a new BlackBerry Classic from Amazon, which should arrive by the end of the day Wednesday. I'm looking forward to getting that.

So my strategy, at this point, is to use two devices: my BlackBerry Classic as my daily, go-to device for calling and texting, with my current Samsung Galaxy S6 for when I really want to get heavily active in various apps. I won't even need to swap out my SIM card to do that. I can just use either my office WiFi for that, or use the Classic to provide a mobile hotspot.

I hope everyone enjoys their KEYone devices. I would have loved to have mine work, and will continue to mull over what to do with the K1 going forward.

I may wait to see if my cell phone service provider, Verizon, decides to carry it. If so, I'll probably pounce on it.

And if Best Buy notifies me of the phone's availability, or if I see it on Amazon again at the original price (or even less), I may take the plunge.

This has been the first time that I truly jumped in as an early adopter. I can see why I (and so many others) usually wait for the first wave of a new product to pass before jumping in.

We'll see.

Well, thanks to everyone for pitching in with your thoughts and your perspectives as I worked to make my decision. I appreciate it.

Best of luck.

-VM-
    07-11-17 08:29 AM
    Good luck! I still love my Q10. I imagine with the tool belt that the Classic offers that it is even better.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-17 11:57 AM