My father currently uses an LG or Samsung flip phone on the Verizon Wireless network. He primarily makes/receives phone calls and checks voicemail, but has expressed interest in a smartphone to use a few features like gps and email. He would not be a heavy user and wants to remain with Verizon because he needs good service in rural areas. My father is rather rough on his phones. By this I mean, many scratches and scuffs and he has lost his phone a few times.

I'd like to get him his first smartphone for father's day, a BlackBerry of course! I know my options are limited with Verizon, but which phone would you recommend based on my description of how he intends to use the phone (BlackBerry and others)? It needs to be durable and have good case options. Any screen size will be bigger than what he is currently using. Too bad the Leap is not available from Verizon.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Z30
    05-25-15 10:18 PM
    Easy: the Classic.

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry OS 10.3.2.500 on Q10
    anon(5061193) likes this.
    05-25-15 10:24 PM
    My mom is 75. I got her a Q5 last year. Within 2 months she slammed it in my glove compartment and the screen stopped working, I had to replace it. Since then she's been more careful, although has still managed to smash the front camera.

I have a spare on hand for her in preparation of the next fatality. She has no issues with operating it however, just with not smashing it.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-15 10:31 PM
    I would automatically go to the Passport from the title as my mother opted for this and a major selling point was the large screen for reading texts and emails as well as browsing the web. She used to need reading glasses, but loves her Passport.

Since you specified Verizon the best device would be the Z30. You can actually get a Verizon Z30 off contract right now for a little over $200. I could link if you would like. This will give him the ability to raise the font size with a larger screen. I will say my father prefers the Z10 because of size and doesn't want anything larger although he has difficulty seeing at times as well. Was working on getting the Z30 for his birthday, but that fell through.

There are some very nice cases for the Z30 on Amazon from minimal to nice protection. Since you stated he is a bit rough, I would also purchase a tempered glass screen protector immediately and put that on. The Z30 does not have any type of special glass unlike the Passport (gorilla glass); correct me if I'm wrong.

The Z30 is actually almost the same size as the Z10 as well. Just a tiny bit larger with much more screen real estate. This is why I was trying to get my dad the Z30 for the $200 off contract, but couldn't swing it in time. This is what I'd go for. There will be a slight learning curve, but shouldn't last long.

As a side note, Verizon loaded off a bunch of brand new Z30s allowing the $200 off contract which is a steal for the device. If you go through them, I believe they still want money on contract as well as some ridiculous amount to buy outright.

Just my initial thoughts. I'll def check back.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-15 10:33 PM
    Easy: the Classic.

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry OS 10.3.2.500 on Q10
    Ahh I actually forgot Verizon carries the Classic as well. This may fit his needs better with the physical keyboard although it will be more expensive and a compromise on screen real estate, but for his needs the Classic seems to fit perfectly.

I tried out one in the AT&T store while we were getting my mom the Passport and it is a really nice device with solid build quality that may be a better fit. I'm actually looking forward to purchasing a blue Classic from shopblackberry if ever released.

I also noticed father's day is coming up so maybe I'll be able to swing the Z30 for my dad after all as long as they remain available for the $200 off contract.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-15 10:38 PM
    Ahh I actually forgot Verizon carries the Classic as well. This may fit his needs better with the physical keyboard although it will be more expensive and a compromise on screen real estate, but for his needs the Classic seems to fit perfectly.

I tried out one in the AT&T store while we were getting my mom the Passport and it is a really nice device with solid build quality that may be a better fit. I'm actually looking forward to purchasing a blue Classic from shopblackberry if ever released.

I also noticed father's day is coming up so maybe I'll be able to swing the Z30 for my dad after all as long as they remain available for the $200 off contract.

Posted via CB10
    The Z30 is certainly a better price - and, the extra screen real estate would be nice. I'm a little concerned about the double typing issue with the Classic.

Please send me the link you mentioned for the Z30. Thanks!

05-25-15 10:47 PM
    9900 or classic if bb10

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.680
    05-25-15 11:15 PM
    9900 or classic if bb10

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.680
    I agree with this. It sounds like your father needs a phone first, and then some smartphone functions. BBOS 7 phones fit that description perfectly. It doesn't have the greatest or latest specs but keep in mind who this is for and what the most used functions will be. The best BBOS 7 phone would be a 9790 or a 9930 (verizon varient of 9900) both handle phone calls, txting, emails and any txt manipulation like a champ and are also capable of doing gps just fine. Also the small size and light weight wont make it a difficult transition. Plus the dedicated call and end call buttons are a must if calling is a focal point of his interactions. The trackpad with the physical keyboard is the closest thing to working with a mouse and keyboard which I assume is the most familiar experience for him. Set him up with a belt holster so he never loses it and always has easy access and your father will be a happy camper

Hope that helps

•The Berrylution will not be televised• Stupid. Double typeeing kyboard •
    Last edited by FobiddenRiceman; 05-26-15 at 12:03 AM.
    05-25-15 11:33 PM
    The Z30 is certainly a better price - and, the extra screen real estate would be nice. I'm a little concerned about the double typing issue with the Classic.

Please send me the link you mentioned for the Z30. Thanks!

These are legit and if still available when I have the funds will be purchasing one. I know of at least two that purchased from this seller which is why I chose the link below. One friend to try BB10 out as I've been harassing him to give it a shot. Has always had Galaxy series devices and a few people here have posted as well from this seller. The device comes in a standard Verizon box with a charger. It's new and, as I wrote, seems like Verizon off-loaded a bunch of them. Pretty nice deal for an off-contract Verizon Z30!

http://m.ebay.com/itm/201312847192?nav=SEARCH

Posted via CB10
    05-26-15 06:47 AM
    Thanks for the suggestions and link. I had not thought about the 9930. I have more options than I originally thought.

05-26-15 07:22 AM
    Thanks for the suggestions and link. I had not thought about the 9930. I have more options than I originally thought.

Honestly if you are going to upgrade him to a smartphone then why not upgrade to a "real" smartphone. Meaning BB10. You may be surprised at some of the things your father could do much easier on a current device with LTE and a decent processor. I'd personally eliminate everything besides BlackBerry 10 at this point. I can already see frustration if he tries something new... even browsing the web or trying an app on the legacy devices.

Depending on what you get he may do much more with his device than just phone and email. It's of course up to you, but this would bring your options down to the Q10, Z10, Z30, and Classic. I'd narrow it down from there to either the Z30 (it's a great device at a great price with no contract... cheaper than the Leap) or the Classic. I only held the Classic for a few in an AT&T store, but it felt high quality and well made. So from there the decision would come down to form factor.

The Z30 is only slightly larger than the Z10 and the battery is not the best on the Z10 to put it nicely and the Classic may be less of a drastic change with the smaller screen and physical keyboard, but that goes back to comfort level with change and what interest he has expressed in a smartphone (physical keyboard? all touch?).

With eyesight, the screen real estate on the Passport is really helpful for my mom with the font up. She moved from her iPhone/Z10 combo to the Passport and immediately took to the keyboard and loves the screen real estate. The virtual keyboard worked just as well for her. She had no problems on the Z10 other than issues seeing without reading glasses. I know the Passport is not an option here, but just throwing some thoughts at you.

If it were me, I'd have it down to the Classic or the Z30. I know you've expressed concern over double typing on the Classic and I can't comment there, but I do not believe these cases are that widespread. We have three Passports in our house and not one has any of the issues posted in the Passport section (screen lift, double typing, emblems falling off).

Just pointing out that I think the Classic is a viable option as well and wouldn't be too concerned with double typing. The Z30 doesn't have many hardware issues at all besides the sometimes loose volume keys and as you can see you can grab one for a little over $200 brand new contract free. Just food for thought.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-15 07:48 AM
    Speaking of accessories, one of those self-adhesive microchip phone finder devices could be useful for older parents.
    05-26-15 01:39 PM
    Speaking of accessories, one of those self-adhesive microchip phone finder devices could be useful for older parents.
    Wouldn't BlackBerry Protect be sufficient? Don't know much about these though.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-15 01:52 PM
    These are the beeping remote controlled RF finders that help you locate your stuff when it falls under the sofa or car seat, or when you leave your phone in a jacket pocket. One brand is Find One Find All. It's available on either Amazon or the company's website.
    05-26-15 02:28 PM
    These are the beeping remote controlled RF finders that help you locate your stuff when it falls under the sofa or car seat, or when you leave your phone in a jacket pocket. One brand is Find One Find All. It's available on either Amazon or the company's website.
    Gotcha... just don't lose the remote control lol. :-)

Posted via CB10
    05-26-15 04:12 PM
    My bet:
    Classic, due to call answer button... :-)

•   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   •
    05-26-15 04:18 PM
    Classic, Z30 or Q5. That order.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-15 04:35 PM
    My mom is 75. I got her a Q5 last year. Within 2 months she slammed it in my glove compartment and the screen stopped working, I had to replace it. Since then she's been more careful, although has still managed to smash the front camera.

I have a spare on hand for her in preparation of the next fatality. She has no issues with operating it however, just with not smashing it.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe she is hoping for a passport

Posted via CB10
    05-26-15 05:45 PM
    It's all about the screen. As people get older their vision suffers. So I would go z30 or passport. Consider not upgrading to 10.3 so they still have the bigger icons of 10.2

Posted via CB10
    05-26-15 05:49 PM
    Maybe she is hoping for a passport

Posted via CB10
    I know she is. When I leave mine sitting unattended I always find it elsewhere. Usually by her chair. She's not careful enough for a Passport.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-15 05:57 PM
    It's all about the screen. As people get older their vision suffers. So I would go z30 or passport. Consider not upgrading to 10.3 so they still have the bigger icons of 10.2

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for your advice. The Passport is out because it's not carried by Verizon. He also carries his phone in his front pocket, so there is that. I'll see him prior to Father's Day and let him try out my Z30.

05-26-15 06:01 PM
    Did I hear Classic?
    05-26-15 06:04 PM
    Classic. Get him something with a tool belt.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-15 07:18 PM
    Classic!
    05-26-15 09:23 PM