I ran across this in a story this morning.

http://allthingsd.com/files/2012/01/RIM_CES.png

Apparently, RIM is going to show us how BB provides the best app platform in the industry. I had to do a double take when I saw it. That would be like Google claiming Android to be the most secure app provider, or Apple being the most open. It defies comprehension. I cannot begin to contemplate what they mean by the best app platform.

Since I obviously have no clue, I will provide no guesses. Perhaps some of you would like to take a stab at this one. I am left wondering if this is a good strategy for RIM. One would think they would have had enough of unsupported, hyperbolic marketing BS. Perhaps they should consider under promising and over delivering in stead of making such grandiose claims.

Thoughts?
    01-06-12 08:58 AM
    Unless it's in the tiny print at the bottom, I'm not sure WTF you're talking about.

Oh wait!

Looks like development of the next iteration of Research In Motion’s PlayBook operating system is going well enough that the company actually has something it can comfortably show off to the media.

And it’s going to show it off next week at the 2012 Consumer Electronics Show.

Late Thursday, RIM distributed invitations to “an intimate event” to be held at CES on Jan. 10. Emceed by Alec Saunders, RIM’s VP of developer relations, and Martyn Mallick, VP of global alliances, the event touts the BlackBerry as “the best app platform in the industry today,” and promises to prove it with a demonstration of PlayBook OS 2.0 and BlackBerry 7 OS.

Evidently, RIM has made some remarkable improvements to both operating systems, as well as its straggling app ecosystem. If it hasn’t, it’s never going to hear the end of that “best app platform” claim.

That said, the long-awaited addition of the native email, calendar and contact apps that the device debuted without should go a long way to silencing at least a few of the complaints that have plagued it.

RIM is expected to release PlayBook OS 2.0 to consumers sometime in February, the same month it reportedly plans to debut BlackBerry OS 10 at Mobile World Congress.
    RIM Will Show Off PlayBook OS 2.0 at CES - John Paczkowski - Mobile - AllThingsD

It will be interesting to see what they bring to the show. I'd presume the comment is about the PB, which very well could make sense, if 2.0 delivers as promised.
    sf49ers likes this.
    01-06-12 09:37 AM

Apparently, RIM is going to show us how BB provides the best app platform in the industry. I had to do a double take when I saw it. That would be like Google claiming Android to be the most secure app provider, or Apple being the most open. It defies comprehension. I cannot begin to contemplate what they mean by the best app platform.

Since I obviously have no clue, I will provide no guesses. Perhaps some of you would like to take a stab at this one. I am left wondering if this is a good strategy for RIM. One would think they would have had enough of unsupported, hyperbolic marketing BS. Perhaps they should consider under promising and over delivering in stead of making such grandiose claims.

Thoughts?
    Harmful Jimbo sour grape fantasy is at it again.

"Amateur hour is over."

"Leapfrogging competitions"

When is he going to seize?
    It's further ruining RIM.
    01-06-12 09:39 AM
    Or, they may be setting up for the take-over and trying to create the best environment for it.
    But seems so childish.

See;

RIM Positions Itself as Takeover Bait - AMZN, AAPL, EBAY, GOOG, MSFT, NOK, RIMM - Foolish Blogging Network
    01-06-12 09:42 AM

Thoughts?
    Perhaps they'd be better off touting it as just another sub-par OS that all their competitors are already running rings around and brings absolutely nothing new to the table. Is that what you're suggesting? "Introducing OS 2.0 - years behind the competition and behind schedule. <yyyyaaaaawwwwwwnnnnn>" That'd be quite a marketing strategy.
    Last edited by 18to7fiddy; 01-06-12 at 09:59 AM.
    BigBadWulf and kbz1960 like this.
    01-06-12 09:57 AM
    Or, they may be setting up for the take-over and trying to create the best environment for it.
    But seems so childish.

See;

RIM Positions Itself as Takeover Bait - AMZN, AAPL, EBAY, GOOG, MSFT, NOK, RIMM - Foolish Blogging Network
    I'd expect them to be continuing to develop the best OS they can, regardless. Dredging up opinion after opinion seems pointless. If there's something of substance, I'll pay attention to it.
    01-06-12 10:00 AM
    They have continued to say that line for a while, even having Alec Saunders do presentations on it. BB devs make more money is the claim they use. And they didnt say the best for whom
    01-06-12 10:03 AM
    Unless it's in the tiny print at the bottom, I'm not sure WTF you're talking about.

Click to view quoted image

Oh wait!

RIM Will Show Off PlayBook OS 2.0 at CES - John Paczkowski - Mobile - AllThingsD

It will be interesting to see what they bring to the show. I'd presume the comment is about the PB, which very well could make sense, if 2.0 delivers as promised.
    It is right in the first paragraph of the image. It is not just about OS2. It also say OS7 right in the announcement. This is not just about the future PB.

Perhaps they'd be better off touting it as just another sub-par OS that all their competitors are already running rings around and brings absolutely nothing new to the table. Is that what you're suggesting? "Introducing OS 2.0 - years behind the competition and behind schedule. <yyyyaaaaawwwwwwnnnnn>" That'd be quite a marketing strategy.
    Do you really see no gradient between what they announced and what you suggest? If hype is to be used, why focus on the area that is most demonstrably not the best in the industry? That just paints a huge target on that area of weakness.
    01-06-12 10:07 AM
    Do you really see no gradient between what they announced and what you suggest? If hype is to be used, why focus on the area that is most demonstrably not the best in the industry? That just paints a huge target on that area of weakness.
    Of course there's gradient. I'm saying that anything less than over-the-top fanfare will only gerate a lot of disinterest and apathy. To wit, is the iPhone really 'magical'?
    sam_b77 likes this.
    01-06-12 10:13 AM
    It is right in the first paragraph of the image. It is not just about OS2. It also say OS7 right in the announcement. This is not just about the future PB.
    Damn I can be blind at times. I'll reserve judgement whether it's over the top, till he does the presentation.
    01-06-12 10:15 AM
    Of course there's gradient. I'm saying that anything less than over-the-top fanfare will only gerate a lot of disinterest and apathy. To wit, is the iPhone really 'magical'?
    No, the iPhone isn't "magical," but "magical" is a term that is entirely subjective, and is the farthest thing from a term of art in the technology industry. That makes it far different than "best in the industry," which could be construed in an objective manner.
    01-06-12 10:19 AM
    They have continued to say that line for a while, even having Alec Saunders do presentations on it. BB devs make more money is the claim they use. And they didnt say the best for whom
    Good point. Thing is, I don't believe RIM's claim that BB devs make more money. I believe that BB apps are more expensive. But, I don't believe that RIM has paid out anything close to $2B to devs. I don't believe that Rovio will ever make as much on BB as it does elsewhere. A dev may sell a thousand copies of an app for $5, grossing $5,000. Or, he could sell ten thousand copies on another store for $.99, doubling his money. I don't believe RIM has ever backed that claim with evidence. Until they do, that is just more unsupported hype.

Ironically, they would have been better off claiming that RIM offers the best mobile OS in the industry. That is perfectly vague and meaningless. By claiming that they have the best app platform, particularly, they draw a target on themselves.
    01-06-12 10:20 AM
    All those lines would be epic if they were coming from Charlie Sheen.

Personally.. I think RIM is being targeted because they're successful. The dont have an app problem! They have just been singled out because they're so successful! Its an iconic product! Its used by celebrity's, leaders, busness people, teenagers, and old ladies. They dont have an app problem!
    Last edited by West Coast Flavor; 01-06-12 at 10:25 AM.
    Jaralle likes this.
    01-06-12 10:21 AM
    I'd expect them to be continuing to develop the best OS they can, regardless. Dredging up opinion after opinion seems pointless. If there's something of substance, I'll pay attention to it.
    I'm not an anti-BB (perhaps anti-RIM, though), and I am a legitimate BB user :-)..
    I did not dig up another article. I was reading the article showed up in another blog when you posted yours. Just a coincident.
    But I assume you would agree that some statements coming out of RIM are really hurting themselves. I just cannot believe that they think these statement would make change in the psyche of users and investors.
    Or, they might be uttering these things on purpose for some unknown reasons.

Either way, even I (as an ordinary BB user) can tell that these statements are really childish. You do not hear these lines of talks from any other companies in any situations.
    Foolish.
    01-06-12 10:23 AM

Personally.. I think RIM is being targeted because they're successful. The dont have an app problem! They have just been singled out because they're so successful! Its an iconic product! Its used by celebrity's, leaders, busness people, teenagers, and old ladies. They dont have an app problem!
    Good point; let's keep it going. Apple didn't have an antenna problem, it's just successful. Same for Facebook and Google and their alleged privacy problems. Ditto for Android fragmentation, HP's webOS and its related products, and every other previously-valid tech criticism. Also, let's not forget WP7, which is belittled because MS is successful, and not because it, you know, doesn't sell.
    avt123, Jaralle and teknishun like this.
    01-06-12 10:34 AM

Sure... no app problem.

I must be blind to not see a wealth of apps for my Playbook. Yeah, it's my eyesight that's the problem.
    01-06-12 10:53 AM
    I'm not an anti-BB (perhaps anti-RIM, though), and I am a legitimate BB user :-)..
    I did not dig up another article. I was reading the article showed up in another blog when you posted yours. Just a coincident.
    But I assume you would agree that some statements coming out of RIM are really hurting themselves. I just cannot believe that they think these statement would make change in the psyche of users and investors.
    Or, they might be uttering these things on purpose for some unknown reasons.

Either way, even I (as an ordinary BB user) can tell that these statements are really childish. You do not hear these lines of talks from any other companies in any situations.
    Foolish.
    Oh, but they do. CEOs make terrible media spokesmen. The BP comment after the gulf oil spill immediately comes to mind. Most of our Presidents have also. That said, I agree. RIM is doing little lately to help itself.
    01-06-12 11:07 AM
    Oh, but they do. CEOs make terrible media spokesmen. The BP comment after the gulf oil spill immediately comes to mind. Most of our Presidents have also. That said, I agree. RIM is doing little lately to help itself.
    I would love to dismiss this as just another CEOh NO, gaff. But this didn't come from the CEBros. This came from a press invite to a major media event that is supposed to give RIM some much needed, positive exposure. This is the message they expect the press to parrot. I just don't believe they thought it through.

Rather than writing a new post, I will just combine a secondary thought...

It also does not help to say this is talking about some new thing in the CES reveal of OS2. We already know what OS2 is like. There is a publicly installable beta that many are currently using. We know what the app platform is like. There is no mystery to be unveiled that will radically change the platform from that experience, with the exception of a few more apps.

OS7 has been out for, what, four or five months? We know exactly what that app platform is like. I suspect this statement was supposed to be directed at those who don't know what it is like.
    01-06-12 11:35 AM
    01-06-12 12:33 PM
    Good point. Thing is, I don't believe RIM's claim that BB devs make more money. I believe that BB apps are more expensive. But, I don't believe that RIM has paid out anything close to $2B to devs. I don't believe that Rovio will ever make as much on BB as it does elsewhere. A dev may sell a thousand copies of an app for $5, grossing $5,000. Or, he could sell ten thousand copies on another store for $.99, doubling his money. I don't believe RIM has ever backed that claim with evidence. Until they do, that is just more unsupported hype.

Ironically, they would have been better off claiming that RIM offers the best mobile OS in the industry. That is perfectly vague and meaningless. By claiming that they have the best app platform, particularly, they draw a target on themselves.
    but it's common sense to assume that Blackberry developers make more money than other platforms for the same reason - number of users to the app ratio and app options per category ratio. If you take IOS or Android for any given category you will find at-least 20 different apps which basically offers the same usecase and selling in the crowded market is rather difficult. The fact of the matter is that Blackberry Appworld had more sales than Android Market place last year.

here are few testimonials from a Blackberry dev, read it and it is very interesting as he presents with facts, also in his latest update he said that his app on the playbook (itunes sync) made a cool $7700 during this holiday season and at the same time has a lot of upward potential for future growth (I will not be surprised if he continue to make $100 over a year time as Playbook and BB10 users are set to grow ), as per RIM over 13% of Blackberry dev's submitting apps to the App world made over $100K last year and that is quite incredible.

BlackBerry App Development: Gold Rush or Drops in a Bucket? - BerryReview

BlackBerry PlayBook App Development: Surprising Opportunities - BerryReview

RIM: Perception VS Reality - BerryReview
    Last edited by sf49ers; 01-06-12 at 12:48 PM.
    01-06-12 12:40 PM
    but it's common sense to assume that Blackberry developers make more money than other platforms for the same reason - number of users to the app ratio and app options per category ratio. If you take IOS or Android for any given category you will find at-least 20 different apps which basically offers the same usecase and selling in the crowded market is rather difficult. The fact of the matter is that Blackberry Appworld had more sales than Android Market place last year.
    You left some things out. One, though you use the term "sales," what you mean is revenue, meaning App World had more revenue from app sales than the Android Market, though still far less than the App Store. However, what you left out is that Android Market is geared around offering free, ad-supported apps, not paid apps, so it will never compare favorably to the others on app revenue that isn't ad-based.

Two, one of the reasons there are fewer BlackBerry apps is because the tools aren't as good as the other platforms; some developers are willing to forego App World entirely for this reason (the heavy fragmentation in device specs doesn't help either). True, there's the potential to make some really successful App World apps, but the barriers to entry are high, and the investment can be significant (relative to iOS or Android) for these reasons. To be fair, Android certainly has fragmentation issues also, but so far it hasn't really impeded its growth.

Lastly, I think you're referring to 2010 (no numbers for 2011 yet), which is no longer last year. It will be interesting to see how the 2011 numbers look; they may render the entire premise (App World generating more in revenue than the Android Market) moot.
    01-06-12 12:52 PM
    No, the iPhone isn't "magical," but "magical" is a term that is entirely subjective, and is the farthest thing from a term of art in the technology industry. That makes it far different than "best in the industry," which could be construed in an objective manner.
    Best in the industry is also subjective. Best to you? Me? Best at what? Cooking dinner?
    01-06-12 01:01 PM
    You left some things out. One, though you use the term "sales," what you mean is revenue, meaning App World had more revenue from app sales than the Android Market, though still far less than the App Store. However, what you left out is that Android Market is geared around offering free, ad-supported apps, not paid apps, so it will never compare favorably to the others on app revenue that isn't ad-based.

Two, one of the reasons there are fewer BlackBerry apps is because the tools aren't as good as the other platforms; some developers are willing to forego App World entirely for this reason (the heavy fragmentation in device specs doesn't help either). True, there's the potential to make some really successful App World apps, but the barriers to entry are high, and the investment can be significant (relative to iOS or Android) for these reasons. To be fair, Android certainly has fragmentation issues also, but so far it hasn't really impeded its growth.

Lastly, I think you're referring to 2010 (no numbers for 2011 yet), which is no longer last year. It will be interesting to see how the 2011 numbers look; they may render the entire premise (App World generating more in revenue than the Android Market) moot.
    did you even care to read to read the developer testimonial? as per the dev he put in ten hours to implement iTunes Sync for the playbook and it already brought him in $10K sales, how can you claim the dev tools are bad when there are plethora options now for the playbook and even for OS7? that may be the thing of the past. Now the tools are very much on par and there is minimal learning on devs part as RIM is not trying to enforce their proprietary code on them but going with open source libs, frameworks etc. Had that be case we wouldn't have seen the A+ category games on the playbook so fast.
    01-06-12 01:03 PM
    Best in the industry is also subjective. Best to you? Me? Best at what? Cooking dinner?
    Terms can be both objective and subjective, and I never claimed "best in the industry" was not subjective; i just pointed out that "magical" is far less objective than "best in the industry."
    01-06-12 01:09 PM
    did you even care to read to read the developer testimonial? as per the dev he put in ten hours to implement iTunes Sync for the playbook and it already brought him in $10K sales, how can you claim the dev tools are bad when there are plethora options now for the playbook and even for OS7?
    That's very astute of you. The only problem is that I never claimed the tools were "bad"; I described them as "not being as good as others." Would you like to place a bet on how developers view the current-state of development tools for various platforms?

Now the tools are very much on par and there is minimal learning on devs part as RIM is not trying to enforce their proprietary code on them but going with open source libs, frameworks etc. Had that be case we wouldn't have seen the A+ category games on the playbook so fast.
    And yet people are still complaining about app selection, so even if everything's gotten a lot better users have yet to see the results.
    01-06-12 01:14 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD