What's the benefit of the $15 more per month you have to pay to use Blackberry Enterprise Server with your AT&T Blackberry?

Their normal data plan with Blackberry Internet Service is $30. I'm helping someone set up hosted Exchange with Godaddy with the goal of having a nice, seamless experience for email (mainly) as well as contacts and calendars too. This guy is self-employed, but spent many years in a large corporation, and is a heavy user of Outlook on his PC.

The way I understand that setup is that you'd get excellent integration of email, contacts, calendars, etc. Incoming emails are instantly pushed to your Blackberry device. Any changes made on one device are immediately reflected on other devices. For example, when you delete a message on your Blackberry it will be deleted from your Outlook inbox too. Everything happens in real time more or less.

The alternative is to use the Blackberry Internet Service. The way I understand this is that you plug in the settings for your POP email account into a web page operated by Blackberry / AT&T. Their servers periodically poll your POP account. Once new mail is found I'm not sure if you have to wait until your Blackberry device polls the server or if the server will push new emails out to you.

With that setup you're still dealing with multiple message databases - one on your PC, one in your Blackberry, plus the POP mailbox. If you send a message from the Blackberry it won't be in the Sent folder in Outlook, etc.

Anyway, my understanding of all this may be totally off base. I've been googling it a lot lately trying to figure it all out, but need a little guidance.

My initial thought was that we'd have everything we want for about $9 / month (Godaddy's charge for the hosted Exchange box). Now it's looking like it's $24 a month.

Any comments or guidance is greatly appreciated!
    08-08-09 11:12 PM
    BES includes corporate email. BIS does not. If you are purchasing the phone on your own not to be used through your employer's server, you need and can only purchase the cheaper plan.

That is the only difference.
    08-08-09 11:20 PM
    There's alot more to it than that.

BIS will offer basic Outlook integration via OWA. You will have the ability to wirelessly sync your inbox only. This does not include subfolders, only messages in the inbox will be synced. It does not allow you to sync your calendar, contacts or tasks OTA, you must connect to your desktop PC to sync these items.

BES is more of a complete package, you are able to sync your entire inbox including subfolders as well as calendar, contacts and an enterprise address book OTA. If your friend opts for BES, then his host must run a BES server in order for it to work which will be more costly. In addition to complete integration, BES allows for the remote management of a BB including custom security policies allowing complete control over the device and what can and can't be done with it.

There are alot more differences, I would advise browsing the RIM website for more complete info. But as long as you have a BES server running, anyone can purchase the BES plan.
    08-08-09 11:33 PM
    I have the Go Daddy exchange service. You must have BES through your provider to do what you are wanting to do. You can use the Go Daddy exchange through the BIS but it will not be push for contacts and calendar. You could do that and use a sync service like google sync or goo sync but it would be done on a schedule and not instant. The Go Daddy exchange works very very well. You can get a enterprise password anytime you like right through the account settings.
    08-09-09 08:53 AM
    You can use the Go Daddy exchange through the BIS but it will not be push for contacts and calendar.
    Is this any better than just using a POP account? i.e. - If you use Godaddy Exchange through BIS does it synchronize the Inbox, do items you've sent from your Blackberry show up in the Sent folder on Outlook, etc.?
    08-09-09 09:51 AM
    I don't believe there is any two way sync with the BIS. I use my work Blackberry to pick up my Go Daddy exchange email through BIS. I am connected to the BIS through OWA and not POP. I don't have any two way sync. When messages are viewed and deleted on my outlook they still show up as unread on my blackberry until I view them and delete them on the blackberry. Nothing send from the blackberry using the exchange account shows up in sent mail in outlook.

My wife who uses the same exchange account on her blackberry and is signed up with BES through her provider is getting full two way sync on everything in the exchange account.

Just a correction. I do get the sent message in my outlook sent messages. I just gave it a try. But I also get an email in my exchange email account that tells me the message has been sent without confirmation.
    Last edited by Powerpack; 08-09-09 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Tested email
    08-09-09 10:47 AM
    What if I tried a Google-centric solution?

Here's what I'm thinking... Outlook on the PC. Blackberry handheld with standard Internet service for $30 / month. A gmail apps account with a custom domain and Google Sync.

What that do close to the equivalent of BES and hosted Exchange - for $50 a year instead of $24 per month?
    08-09-09 02:40 PM
    What if I tried a Google-centric solution?

Here's what I'm thinking... Outlook on the PC. Blackberry handheld with standard Internet service for $30 / month. A gmail apps account with a custom domain and Google Sync.

What that do close to the equivalent of BES and hosted Exchange - for $50 a year instead of $24 per month?
    Google sync will allow wireless sync of Calendar and Contacts to your BB, I don't think you get email subfolders. Have a look at this thread, it's for the Bold, but the same rules apply:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/how...a-free-146444/
    08-09-09 03:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD