09-23-16 09:06 PM
40 12
tools
    1) As you note, if you have a smart phone and WiFi tablet, you can purchase a hot spot data plan. I believe all carriers provide this option.
    I think this is where things are confused.
    With Fido you don't need to have a smart phone and WiFi tablet to get this plan https://www.fido.ca/consumer/mobile/lte-hotspots
    You can use this sim in a smartphone.
    07-26-16 04:47 PM
    I think this is where things are confused.
    With Fido you don't need to have a smart phone and WiFi tablet to get this plan https://www.fido.ca/consumer/mobile/lte-hotspots
    You can use this sim in a smartphone.
    Thanks I understand I think....I edited my post prior to your reply...
    07-26-16 04:53 PM
    And several hours later, I checked my Bell account, and indeed, the SMS and calls I sent after making the setting changes, were successfully blocked. No charges to my account. As a cross check, a text I made while not blocked, did pass through to my account. This experiment cost me $0.20 ....lol. No need for an app or frustrating calls to Bell.
    Unfortunately, many hours later, my account was charged for texts however calls were blocked. So back to square one for texts.
    07-27-16 06:10 AM
    Unfortunately, many hours later, my account was charged for texts however calls were blocked. So back to square one for texts.
    The people that make these changes make a lot of "mistakes".
    07-27-16 07:23 AM
    The people that make these changes make a lot of "mistakes".
    It is difficult to admit to mistakes, but thanks for understanding.
    07-27-16 07:43 AM
    It is difficult to admit to mistakes, but thanks for understanding.
    I meant the customer service reps, but you are welcome.
    07-27-16 07:47 AM
    Ludicrous speed..?!? ;-D

  There's a Crack in the Berry right now...  
    They have gone from ludicrous to plaid.

#luvmybb10os
    07-27-16 08:47 AM
    To the OP, do you find the call quality to be generally good or at least acceptable on Fongo over data? I use it over 3G (on Telus) sometimes and find the voice quality to be HORRENDOUS -- the worst parts are the delay coupled with the audio dropping.

I love the idea of using WiFi + data only for everything on my Q10, but Fongo has been pretty bad for voice.
    09-21-16 06:28 PM
    What's the advantage of a workaround like this vs. Going with Chattr?

Posted via CB10
    09-22-16 08:34 AM
    What's the advantage of a workaround like this vs. Going with Chattr?

Posted via CB10
    It's less expensive and it decouples your phone service from your carrier. Vertical integration is not in the best interest of the consumer.
    09-22-16 10:31 AM
    To the OP, do you find the call quality to be generally good or at least acceptable on Fongo over data? I use it over 3G (on Telus) sometimes and find the voice quality to be HORRENDOUS -- the worst parts are the delay coupled with the audio dropping.

I love the idea of using WiFi + data only for everything on my Q10, but Fongo has been pretty bad for voice.
    I find the audio quality to be clear and without call drops on my Z30 at 3G or any cell speed. The main issue I have is the latency (delay) in sending and receiving audio of perhaps 0.5 seconds. Basically I have learned to work around this issue, by not having a simultaneous discussion with the other party. If you don't wait for the person to stop talking before you reply, (or vice versa) part of the conversation can be clipped. You can experiment with this, by calling yourself on another phone, then listening for the delay time between phones. You could then compare this with latency between a land line and regular cell service, etc. I am sure others can comment on acceptable latency times within the telecom industry. You also then need to compare cost versus audio quality and your personal or business needs.
    09-22-16 12:01 PM
    I find the audio quality to be clear and without call drops on my Z30 at 3G or any cell speed. The main issue I have is the latency (delay) in sending and receiving audio of perhaps 0.5 seconds. Basically I have learned to work around this issue, by not having a simultaneous discussion with the other party. If you don't wait for the person to stop talking before you reply, (or vice versa) part of the conversation can be clipped. You can experiment with this, by calling yourself on another phone, then listening for the delay time between phones. You could then compare this with latency between a land line and regular cell service, etc. I am sure others can comment on acceptable latency times within the telecom industry. You also then need to compare cost versus audio quality and your personal or business needs.
    The "clipping" you are describing is VAD - Voice Activity Detection https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_activity_detection.
    Its a way for cheap and cheerful voip providers to save money on bandwidth.
    The conversation is basically half duplex.
    Latency is also a problem.
    500ms makes even full duplex conversation pretty awkward.
    A good maximum latency for voip is 250ms, which is not noticeable to the "typical" user.
    09-22-16 12:11 PM
    The "clipping" you are describing is VAD - Voice Activity Detection https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_activity_detection.
    Its a way for cheap and cheerful voip providers to save money on bandwidth.
    The conversation is basically half duplex.
    Latency is also a problem.
    500ms makes even full duplex conversation pretty awkward.
    A good maximum latency for voip is 250ms, which is not noticeable to the "typical" user.
    Thanks for the technical description. I agree that VAD can be an issue at times in Fongo (and I assume many other VOIP providers depending on the algorithm they use). Further, I have found that if the other party is talking in a noisy background environment (such as loud voices), they have complained that my voice can be clipped. This seems to be an occasional issue, particularly when the other party is using an older low end phone without noise cancellation features. So with VAD, in a noisy background, Fongo doesn't always recognize a pause in conversation as it would in a quiet environment.
    09-22-16 12:55 PM
    Thanks for the technical description. I agree that VAD can be an issue at times in Fongo (and I assume many other VOIP providers depending on the algorithm they use). Further, I have found that if the other party is talking in a noisy background environment (such as loud voices), they have complained that my voice can be clipped. This seems to be an occasional issue, particularly when the other party is using an older low end phone without noise cancellation features. So with VAD, in a noisy background, Fongo doesn't always recognize a pause in conversation as it would in a quiet environment.
    Better providers don't use vad.
    09-22-16 12:57 PM
    Fongo & Fido table plan works great for me. I haven't noticed big call quality difference nor call dropping so far. But I don't use voice call that much. I have access to land line whole day during weekdays & company cell phone for weekends. So my smartphone use is mostly for email, text & music/podcast streaming. I just wanted cheap plan with enough data for those services.

Only downside I've noticed was that sometimes Fongo struggles to connect to server. Looks like it happens when phone trying to switch from WiFi to data or data to WiFi.
    It's very short period but maybe a issue for businesses users for reliability.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-23-16 09:06 PM
40 12