Found this on Mobile Syrup. Why do they want people to trade in old BB's for newer non-BB devices? I don't understand the reasoning.

Bell also wants Canadians to trade-in their old BlackBerry | MobileSyrup.com
    05-23-13 03:45 PM
    They are trying to get the BB faithful to get away from BIS and purchase their built up inventory of iPhones and robots.
    05-23-13 04:00 PM
    No, they like Telus are jealous that only Rogers gets exclusivity to the white version of the Q10 hence the reason the trade-in is for white phones. They are basically showing the finger
    05-23-13 10:25 PM
    I think it's a combo of trying to get rid of the bis fees, and a revolt against the white q10 issue. Not sure why BlackBerry did that in the first place. Wasn't Thor quoted as saying no carrier exclusives?

Posted via CB10
    05-24-13 07:02 AM
    This could be as simple as something mentioned not that long ago on a report on BlackBerry. There are a lot of people still using old BlackBerry phones two or three generations old. Getting them into a store gives Bell a chance to sell them a new smartphone along with a new and more expensive plan to go with that smart phone.

If you were a long time BlackBerry customer, you could be on a $45 or less a month plan. The newer plans start much higher than that.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-13 07:32 AM
    I think it's a combo of trying to get rid of the bis fees, and a revolt against the white q10 issue. Not sure why BlackBerry did that in the first place. Wasn't Thor quoted as saying no carrier exclusives?

Posted via CB10
    That was a stupid call, right there. Does BBRY seriously think they're in any position to offer exclusives to anyone?

Just a dumb idea on its face.
    richardat likes this.
    05-24-13 08:12 AM
    That was a stupid call, right there. Does BBRY seriously think they're in any position to offer exclusives to anyone?

Calm down. It's just a colour exclusive, which Rogers has done numerous times in the past with white Bolds.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-13 09:46 AM
    I am mightily calm. But stupid is stupid, ya know?
    05-24-13 10:02 PM

Yes, well the facts speak for themselves. They've been publicly slapped not once but twice, and Heins and Boulben's inability to stop these embarrassments is a troubling sign.
    adamLocke likes this.
    05-24-13 10:22 PM
    Yes, well the facts speak for themselves. They've been publicly slapped not once but twice, and Heins and Boulben's inability to stop these embarrassments is a troubling sign.
    You might want to read the actual disclaimer on the promotion. Your not getting much and it is highly restrictive. Sort of a so-what.
    05-27-13 02:31 PM
    Why would they not...Thats thier base...they want to upgrade them

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 03:42 PM
    You might want to read the actual disclaimer on the promotion. Your not getting much and it is highly restrictive. Sort of a so-what.
    Regardless of how good the fine print is, you'll always have enough people getting tempted by these promotions and jumping..pretty ridiculous that they don't offer BB10. Must be for the BIS/higher prices of new plans reasons aforementioned

Posted from a factory unlocked Z10 (and I also have one for sale)
    05-27-13 03:54 PM
    That's irrelevant to my point, unless you are implying that Heins and Boulben also thought "so-what" and therefore did nothing to try to stop this. Frankly, I would think that nothing short of incompetence.
    05-27-13 09:16 PM
    Any carrier can bid for colour exclusive. One wins the bid. I assume they are willing to pay a little more for each device and/or agree to buy a certain number of devices in exchange for a limited colour exclusive. This is normal and good business. I assume companies have surveyed enough people to find out those who really want the colour will change carrier and the rest will grumble and buy the black model. The question is how many will not buy a BlackBerry to spite BlackBerry for not making the colour available for their carrier. I'm pretty sure it's not enough to offset the benefits.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 03:59 AM
    . I assume companies have surveyed enough people to find out those who really want the colour will change carrier and the rest will grumble and buy the black model. The question is how many will not buy a BlackBerry to spite BlackBerry for not making the colour available for their carrier. I'm pretty sure it's not enough to offset the benefits.

Posted via CB10
    You didn't list any benefits to BB, besides a bit of cash from one carrier. No extra BB customers are gained, they merely go from one carrier to another.

The carrier with the exclusive may indeed woo a few BB owners away from other carriers so they get a benefit.

Pros to BB: one carrier happy, a bit of extra cash

Cons: Other carriers unhappy. Loss of some customers who would otherwise have stayed if white was available on their carrier. Now in addition: loss of customers who will be wooed by this deal.

Best case scenario: unable to stop the public slapdown (which indicates how unhealthy relations are), BB must smooth things over, accept this lesson, and hope that future relations are not affected further.

This was a clear misread by BB, and Tchocky77 was ABSOLUTELY CORRECT, a very poor decision by BB. They NEED the carriers, the carriers most certainly do not need them. This is about as far from "good business" as one can get.
    05-31-13 05:05 AM
    You didn't list any benefits to BB, besides a bit of cash from one carrier. No extra BB customers are gained, they merely go from one carrier to another.

The carrier with the exclusive may indeed woo a few BB owners away from other carriers so they get a benefit.

Pros to BB: one carrier happy, a bit of extra cash

Cons: Other carriers unhappy. Loss of some customers who would otherwise have stayed if white was available on their carrier. Now in addition: loss of customers who will be wooed by this deal.

Best case scenario: unable to stop the public slapdown (which indicates how unhealthy relations are), BB must smooth things over, accept this lesson, and hope that future relations are not affected further.

This was a clear misread by BB, and Tchocky77 was ABSOLUTELY CORRECT, a very poor decision by BB. They NEED the carriers, the carriers most certainly do not need them. This is about as far from "good business" as one can get.
    I know you specialize in telling everyone how terrible BlackBerry is but, lets explore this a bit more. Since none of us have actual numbers or analysis, I'll make them up:

Verizon makes a deal with BlackBerry to have a 1 year exclusive for the white BB10 models. In exchange, they agree to buy 1 million Z10s and 4 million Q10s. Plus another 1 million units to be named later. Most, if not all, of which they would have bought anyway.

Verizon draws 500 customers away from the other carriers specifically to get the white model. Their benefit is 500 new customers. I would speculate all of them are 2+ year contract. Although they did take some risk of getting stuck with a bunch of devices they can't sell if the market rejects BB10.

BlackBerry gets guaranteed sale of 6 million devices. That is HUGE to them. Not only does it allow them to make a better deal with their suppliers and manufacturers, it also gives them a boost in the market and press.

Now, what's the downside for BlackBerry? Some very small number of people will not buy BlackBerry because of an irrational anger over the exclusive deal. Lets say 100 people. Pretty good chance they have some other mental or emotional issues so it's hard to say what they might have done in the absence of the exclusive. I mean, we see those kind here on this site. Presumably they refused to buy an iPhone while AT&T had the exclusive deal with Apple.
    Last edited by jrohland; 05-31-13 at 07:05 AM.
    05-31-13 06:49 AM
    I know you specialize in telling everyone how terrible BlackBerry is but,.
    CHILDISH. At least you immediately let your mentality be known and that you do not wish to have a mature discussion.

I
    Verizon makes a deal with BlackBerry to have a 1 year exclusive for the white BB10 models. In exchange, they agree to buy 1 million Z10s and 4 million Q10s. Plus another 1 million units to be named later. Most, if not all, of which they would have bought anyway.

Verizon draws 500 customers away from the other carriers specifically to get the white model. Their benefit is 500 new customers. I would speculate all of them are 2+ year contract. Although they did take some risk of getting stuck with a bunch of devices they can't sell if the market rejects BB10.

BlackBerry gets guaranteed sale of 6 million devices. That is HUGE to them. Not only does it allow them to make a better deal with their suppliers and manufacturers, it also gives them a boost in the market and press.

Now, what's the downside for BlackBerry? Some very small number of people will not buy BlackBerry because of an irrational anger over the exclusive deal. Lets say 100 people. Pretty good chance they have some other mental or emotional issues so it's hard to say what they might have done in the absence of the exclusive. I mean, we see those kind here on this site. Presumably they refused to buy an iPhone while AT&T had the exclusive deal with Apple.
    Thank you for repeating my argument with made up numbers. I hope going through it, helped you make sense of it. To sum up your fictional scenario: Verizon gets 500 customers from another carrier. BB loses 100 customers. Just as I outlined except you have forgotten that BB has also lost an additional oh...let's say 200 customers each from the special deals the two angry carriers run to take a shot back at BB. Now BB has lot 500 customers. In addition, BB has made two of three carriers angry with them, that is very, very bad, considering they have no leverage whatsoever in this market. They must now try very hard to suck up, just to get back to neutral.

Now we are on the same page, you simply left the latter part off your scenario - which is a strange omission, since I already outlined it. Of course, even leaving that part out, you still had BB losing 100 customers and earning the ire of 2 of 3 carriers. As I said, incredibly bad decision making.

And again, we can do without the teenage mean girl snipes, unless that is what you wish to portray.
    05-31-13 07:48 AM
    Yep that exclusive deal Apple did really, really hurt them bad. Exclusives are a tried and true business tactic that works. Which is why they exist.
    05-31-13 12:50 PM