"EDGE can be fast?" Am I missing something here?
    Apparently BelfastDispatcher has his own reality distortion field.
    09-18-11 07:56 PM
    Real world experience > your opinion belfast.

I had the Curves and bold at the same time I had my HD2 and my Vibrant.

All were slow as ****. WiFi from my home internet connection was the only way to get a decent internet experience.

Those phones can browse WAP sites, too...

The BBs were better becuase UMA > T-Mobile WiFi calling (sane handoffs), but the internet speeds weren't superior enough to give me a sound reason to stay with the blackberries in the grand scheme of things. That being said, I send the Bold back not because I didn't like it or I thought it was bad, but becasue RIM's quality control is lacking and the keyboard was faulty. I actually quite enjoyed it for txting and fast push notifications for literally everything that I have (Fourquare, Facebook, Twitter, etc.).
    Last edited by N8ter; 09-19-11 at 12:12 AM.
    09-19-11 12:09 AM
    "EDGE can be fast?" Am I missing something here?
    EDGE can be fast enough to allow video streaming, GPRS on the other hand wouldn't even let you stream a song, compared to gprs, edge is very fast. Typical gprs speed-10kbps or less, edge-50kbps and it's supposed to be even 100+kbps

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-19-11 01:17 AM
    A strong edge connection can be over 200kbps. I've streamed YouTube over Edge. It's good when the signal is very good. A strong GPRS connection can be about 50kbps, but typically if you drop to GPRS around here you aren't going to see speeds near the top end. Yea, it'll prolly be around 10kbps. Good enouch for reliable messaging and stuff like that (provided latency isn't super high). I wouldn't want to browse on it irregardless of what type of phone I have.
    09-19-11 02:21 AM
    A strong edge connection can be over 200kbps. I've streamed YouTube over Edge. It's good when the signal is very good. A strong GPRS connection can be about 50kbps, but typically if you drop to GPRS around here you aren't going to see speeds near the top end. Yea, it'll prolly be around 10kbps. Good enouch for reliable messaging and stuff like that (provided latency isn't super high). I wouldn't want to browse on it irregardless of what type of phone I have.
    On 10kbps gprs my 9700 could browse mobile crackberry in 5 seconds, I had to make a video for the skeptics above once but they quickly ignored it.

It's a ****y quality video but you can clearly see how fast a BB can be on GPRS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&gl=GB&...gOk&nomobile=1

Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 09-19-11 at 02:50 AM.
    09-19-11 02:27 AM
    When I last visited South Africajust over a year ago, you know the country this thread was asking about and was so rudely hijacked by a group of petty clowns, I had UMTS 2100 service. This was in the Johannesburg/Pretoria area, but I think I had it about an hour and a half north in Naboom Sprite too. Soutj Africa has its issues but cell coverage and technology behind it wasn't one of them. Landlines are unreliable and everyone had cell phones.
    09-19-11 06:51 AM
    On 10kbps gprs my 9700 could browse mobile crackberry in 5 seconds, I had to make a video for the skeptics above once but they quickly ignored it.

It's a ****y quality video but you can clearly see how fast a BB can be on GPRS:

VID 00002 20110801 1820 - YouTube

An Android phone can do the same. It's a WAP site with hardly any pictures, just text.

No one said otherwise.

That's not my ideal way to browse the internet, though.

There's barely any difference between 5 and 7 seconds. Any decent phone is usable with a slow connection going to WAP sites, unless it's a crappy feature phone using a crappy non-Opera Mini browser.
    09-19-11 06:51 PM
    Any sp in sa is looking to make monry off of the end user, hoping that 8ta which is my provider and is linked to telkom sa will keep to there word and not throttle or cap there users. As they a new network I think it will stick for 12 to 13 months before they revise there approach

11-20-11 03:18 PM
108 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD