Does this make you feel differently about Cloud storage?

http://m.cnet.com/news/senate-bill-rewrite-lets-feds-read-your-e-mail-without-warrants/57552225
    daveycrocket and mark37724 like this.
    11-20-12 09:43 AM
    You going to stop using email? Theres a lot more to this than "cloud storage", and No, it doesn't make me think differently, the Cloud isn't going anywhere regardless of the Feds powers.
    11-20-12 09:45 AM
    Another step away from freedom and privacy in the name of security. I'm sure they have done this illegally anyway.
    11-20-12 09:50 AM
    Doesn't affect me. I am not American. Besides, I always write/send them under the assumption that someone can and will eventually read my e-mails. (shrugs) It's not even an issue for 90% of Americans, probably less because there are still a few States that will not allow this, and still require a warrant.
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    11-20-12 10:02 AM
    Sounds like more than just Cloud storage...it's basically everything online that you may have an account on.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-20-12 10:03 AM
    If you do not want it read.... then do not write it.....
    11-20-12 10:09 AM
    Stay off the internet if you want complete privacy.

It sucks but there will always be someone who can read your stuff. Hacking is serious business.
    11-20-12 10:12 AM
    Doesn't affect me. I am not American. Besides, I always write/send them under the assumption that someone can and will eventually read my e-mails. (shrugs) It's not even an issue for 90% of Americans, probably less because there are still a few States that will not allow this, and still require a warrant.
    Yes while true it doesn't effect most people but it is also another way to take away freedoms. What's next? You look funny, come answer some questions simply because you look funny.
    JR A and Stewartj1 like this.
    11-20-12 10:19 AM
    Nothing new here.. America has been eroding the constitutional rights of their people since they allowed 911 to happen (part of their bigger plan).. Cloud adaption is a 2 prong plan between the government and corporations (who are one and the same).
    Prong 1.. Get everyone saving all their personnel information in the cloud and we'll have access to it anytime we want...
    Prong 2. They will need access to that data through internet and data plans. As data usage increase, so does communication companies profits and when they feel the need, they can cut people off from accessing their information..

Paranoid, maybe but take a closer look at everything is going on. These constitutional changes will continue to happen with little or no push back from the people. Funny thing is when you ask the average American they proclaim their "Constitution" is their rights to freedom, and they'll go to war to save those rights.. But ask those same people if they would give up rights for their Freedom, they'll answer with an emphatic Yes! Leaves you going hmmmm..

Just sayin!
    kbz1960, Cesare21, JR A and 2 others like this.
    11-20-12 10:24 AM
    My take is this, if businesses pull back from using paid cloud services, will free cloud services still be sustainable?
    11-20-12 10:32 AM
    in the big skeem on things does it matter. are you trying to hide something that you don't want the govn't to see? this affects the average day person on a VERY small level, IMO. if the govn't wants to poke around my boring emails then they can go ahead and do it LOL
    11-20-12 10:38 AM
    in the big skeem on things does it matter. are you trying to hide something that you don't want the govn't to see? this affects the average day person on a VERY small level, IMO. if the govn't wants to poke around my boring emails then they can go ahead and do it LOL
    Ah but what happens when they interpret something innocent they read as a threat? I have nothing to hide either but that doesn't mean I want the government poking around just because they can in the name of security.
    Tam819 likes this.
    11-20-12 10:48 AM
    Does this make you feel differently about Cloud storage?

Senate bill rewrite lets feds read your e-mail without warrants - CNET Mobile
    What on earth are you talking about? You do know you live in a country that has far more liberal laws and weaker protections already on how they (the Govt) processes and can read your emails and collect internet traffic data - or are you saying you never use email, the internet at home or indeed make phonecalls ?
    11-20-12 11:07 AM
    I see it in a different light. If they have suspisions as to what a person is up to, fine... go ahead, get a warrant, and rummage through the person's emails and files in the cloud. If they don't have just cause, stay the out. I don't have anything to hide either but if the police or government came and knocked on my door to have a look around my place to make sure I'm not hiding anything, I'd have something to say about it. Privacy is privacy.
    kbz1960, kozmo68, grover5 and 5 others like this.
    11-20-12 11:10 AM
    Ah but what happens when they interpret something innocent they read as a threat? I have nothing to hide either but that doesn't mean I want the government poking around just because they can in the name of security.
    what could be innocent but taken as a threat? if people know that "the man" has the ability to poke around their email/FB/Twitter they will be more apt to not joke around. and im sure they will see the conversation and be able to understand the context of it....well i hope they would be able to LOL
    11-20-12 11:11 AM
    What on earth are you talking about? You do know you live in a country that has far more liberal laws and weaker protections already on how they (the Govt) processes and can read your emails and collect internet traffic data - or are you saying you never use email, the internet at home or indeed make phonecalls ?
    I'm refering to the Cloud part of it, most clouds reside in US, Amazon, iCloud, perhaps Dropbox too.

If businesses stop using premium Dropbox services fearing their data privacy, will Dropbox sustain our free accounts?
    11-20-12 11:13 AM
    I see it in a different light. If they have suspisions as to what a person is up to, fine... go ahead, get a warrant, and rummage through the person's emails and files in the cloud. If they don't have just cause, stay the out. I don't have anything to hide either but if the police or government came and knocked on my door to have a look around my place to make sure I'm not hiding anything, I'd have something to say about it. Privacy is privacy.
    i agree but just to be the Devils Advocate;
    why would you mind? if you have nothing to hide why make a stink about it. why would it be such a huge inconvenience if the police knocked on your door asked to look around take 5 min of your day then left? the reason for the police force is to keep us safe from "the bad guys" if your not a "bad guy" why would you have a problem with it.
    11-20-12 11:15 AM
    what could be innocent but taken as a threat? if people know that "the man" has the ability to poke around their email/FB/Twitter they will be more apt to not joke around. and im sure they will see the conversation and be able to understand the context of it....well i hope they would be able to LOL
    You mean like to two british(actually one irish) kids that got arested and deported for a couple of joke tweets?
    kbz1960 and Stewartj1 like this.
    11-20-12 11:16 AM
    You mean like to two british(actually one irish) kids that got arested and deported for a couple of joke tweets?
    really?!?!?! i did not hear about that!! when was this?
    11-20-12 11:19 AM
    i agree but just to be the Devils Advocate;
    why would you mind? if you have nothing to hide why make a stink about it. why would it be such a huge inconvenience if the police knocked on your door asked to look around take 5 min of your day then left? the reason for the police force is to keep us safe from "the bad guys" if your not a "bad guy" why would you have a problem with it.
    Hmmm, imagine the looks you'll get from your neighbors if that happens a couple of times, maybe your clients/employer finds out about it, maybe there will be a record of it next time you apply for a job etc etc etc.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-20-12 11:19 AM
    really?!?!?! i did not hear about that!! when was this?
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/01/30/british-tourists-deported-for-tweeting_n_1242073.html
    kbz1960, sydsam, JAGWIRE and 1 others like this.
    11-20-12 11:21 AM
    Hmmm, imagine the looks you'll get from your neighbors if that happens a couple of times, maybe your clients/employer finds out about it, maybe there will be a record of it next time you apply for a job etc etc etc.
    im not saying i dont agree with the post im just saying the flip side like there is to everything.
    11-20-12 11:28 AM
    That may not matter if your email resides on a server located on US soil.
    11-20-12 11:41 AM
    Nothing new here.. America has been eroding the constitutional rights of their people since they allowed 911 to happen (part of their bigger plan).. Cloud adaption is a 2 prong plan between the government and corporations (who are one and the same).
    Prong 1.. Get everyone saving all their personnel information in the cloud and we'll have access to it anytime we want...
    Prong 2. They will need access to that data through internet and data plans. As data usage increase, so does communication companies profits and when they feel the need, they can cut people off from accessing their information..

Paranoid, maybe but take a closer look at everything is going on. These constitutional changes will continue to happen with little or no push back from the people. Funny thing is when you ask the average American they proclaim their "Constitution" is their rights to freedom, and they'll go to war to save those rights.. But ask those same people if they would give up rights for their Freedom, they'll answer with an emphatic Yes! Leaves you going hmmmm..

Just sayin!
    What an idiotic thing to say. Just stop talking, IMO.
    11-20-12 11:47 AM
    Those tweets were about bombing an airplane or attacking the President or something. IDK it was not meant to be serious but seriously why would you tweet that, even talking about it is in bad taste. Remember they aren't in prison they're just not welcome any more as guests, and rightfully so.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-20-12 11:49 AM
191 123 ...