BBM PIN has a unique advantage that it protects your privacy by not disclosing your phone number...while I can see its advantage for youngsters and teenage girls most people in the world don't need that kind of privacy...I don't have anyone in my contact list from whom I need to hide my phone number or know of anyone who asks for my contact information and I need to hide that.
    The huge disadvantage of having a PIN is that 99% of people we know don't have PINs but have actual phone numbers and that's why they automatically become your Whatsapp contacts and not your BBM contacts...So BBM would continue to loose against whatsapp if they don't give an option to add by phone number along with PIN.

Posted via CB10
    jaylysf likes this.
    11-18-13 11:00 PM
    Why not just ask the person for the phone #? The point of giving just the PIN is in case you don't wanna give your # to the person. I don't think BBM will ever let the phone # be an option but then again you neva know. Hehe

Sent from the best touch keyboard, the Z.
    11-19-13 01:05 AM
    They are better off bringing all the extra features available to native BBM to the other platforms. This will actually give people a reason to want to use it over WhatsApp.
    11-19-13 01:08 AM
    Why not just ask the person for the phone #? The point of giving just the PIN is in case you don't wanna give your # to the person. I don't think BBM will ever let the phone # be an option but then again you neva know. Hehe

Sent from the best touch keyboard, the Z.
    What's wrong with having both the options? Let the user decide

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 01:25 AM

Posted via CB10
    Who decides though

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 03:42 AM
    Who decides though

Posted via CB10
    He said the user.
    11-19-13 05:01 AM
    Can you ask the person to add in the phone number as part of detail section? Instead of your message as part of your profile, you get the phone number.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 05:24 AM

Posted via CB10
    The user decides whether to use BBM or Whatsapp. That's good enough.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 05:26 AM
    He said the user.
    So. Bear with me here. If I have bbm. I don't want everyone having my pin so I set it to pin only on the basis that it is the invite system.
    Someone obtains my number and sets bbm to find contacts by number, do they then have me added automatically, over riding my wishes, or does my pin only block bbm adding me to their contacts based on phone number?

Posted via CB10
    Mr.mister and CecilTsunami like this.
    11-19-13 05:27 AM
    Phone number should be an OPTION IMO, BUT, if you have the persons number saved on your contacts, it does NOT automatically add them or tell you they use BBM. You still have to invite them.
    11-19-13 08:38 AM
    Phone number should be an OPTION IMO, BUT, if you have the persons number saved on your contacts, it does NOT automatically add them or tell you they use BBM. You still have to invite them.
    That is the only way I can see it working.
    11-19-13 08:40 AM
    That is the only way I can see it working.
    Give option to both reciever or sender.. basis being that most people don't need PIN's level privacy and everyone has a phone number which could leveraged.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 09:06 AM
    Give option to both reciever or sender.. basis being that most people don't need PIN's level privacy and everyone has a phone number which could leveraged.

Posted via CB10
    If they ever went that way, I don't mind my number being an option, but I would need the ability to hide my number or use BBID or PIN to add people. It has nothing to do with PIN level security. I don't like giving my number out unless it's needed. It's not needed to add someone person I don't know to an IM app.
    11-19-13 10:11 AM
    Not going to happen, nor should it.
    blackmoe and FairlightRacing like this.
    11-19-13 10:13 AM
    Not going to happen, nor should it.
    Funny, that's what people said about xBBM.
    11-19-13 10:16 AM
    Funny, that's what people said about xBBM.
    Funny, Not me.
    11-19-13 10:16 AM
    PIN only is what I like. People that have my phone number only have the option of texting me, and I have the option of reading and not responding without them getting to see the little D and R.

Nothing to do with security, just limits the BBM list to people of importance in my life vs everyone I've ever given my phone number to.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 10:18 AM
    When i downloaded whats app i immediately deleted it when i realized it was going through my contacts to see who was using it .

You know whats really sad? Android and google play get more love on crackberry than BlackBerry and BlackBerry world
    11-19-13 10:27 AM