Confused by the stories and rumors I read on line. So I figured this was the best place to come. Whats the latest folks on a release time line for bbx phones? I had heard early in the new year, then read a post on line that not until summer. I'll be ready to upgrade after x-mas so I'm wondering when. I don't think I can handle my curve 8330 until next summer. Whats the latest?
    11-04-11 06:33 AM
    You'll have to wait quite a while. If the PlayBook update isn't coming until February, I doubt we'll see phones anytime before the summer.
    11-04-11 08:37 AM
    While I'm sure Adam knows more than I do, I suspect we'll see the first BBX devices February or March of next year. RIM has, on several occasions, reiterated a "early 2012" time frame. However, no one can argue their recent track record on honoring delivery dates has been less that stellar.

Here's my rationale.......If BBX is a true multi-device platform, then they would have to focus on either working on handset BBX or Tablet BBX. Since delaying Playbook OS2, one would surmise that they have elected to focus on completing the handset at the expense of the Playbook. Also, many of the integration challenges, such as email in the Playbook, are also reflected in the handsets and so fix one and you presumably fix the other. Notice that the BBX SDK in now in the hands of developers.

I also believe we are going to see a "C" change in the BBX architecture. I suspect we will see significantly less code on the handset and more dependence on cloud based computing to deliver features and functions. Think in terms of a "thin client" model and you get the picture. If I'm right, then the whole multi-device integration issue suddenly gets simplified by the concept of many devices accessing one client data set. It also means your data will not reside in the handset but, on a RIM server which also simplifies the recovery process.

Of course everything I've said here is all speculation and conjecture.....
    Last edited by EchoTango; 11-04-11 at 09:12 AM.
    11-04-11 09:06 AM
    OP,
    get the 9900. You will enjoy it and it will be relevant for a couple of years while the BBx phones find their feet.
    11-04-11 09:18 AM
    First quarter 2012
    11-04-11 09:36 AM
    Yhat had been my plan until I read all the posts about the 9900 bricking all over the place. having delt with that for the last 2 years with my curve I don't want to go there again. Very confused on what to do.
    11-04-11 11:42 AM
    First quarter 2012
    Doesn't rim's fiscal Q1 start in April?
    11-13-11 01:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD