Hi all,

Recently RIM has made blackberry more open in the sense that people are allowed to use more functions on the blackberry without the BB data plan.

I wonder if RIM will have the BBX function fully without the BB data plan.

What do you think about that?
    03-05-12 07:43 PM
    I don't think it will happen

BBM runs through their BIS service, as does their push technology
    03-05-12 07:53 PM
    If PB OS2.0 is any indicator, then you shouldn't need a BIS plan for e-mail or Internet browsing with BB10. My Playbook is getting all of the e-mail that my Blackberry does using EAS, with the exception of the BIS @tmo.blackberry.net e-mail which I don't really use for anything anyway, and it will still be able to browse the NET and get e-mail even in the event of another epic RIM NOC failure. So the question is if everything but BBM can be done without a BIS plan under BB10, what does that say for the future of BIS and BBM if you and/or your carrier has to pay additional for BIS? RIM really just should give BBM away for free as part of the Blackberry experience when they transition to BB10, and replace the revenues from BIS with revenues from content (Music, movies, etc.) IMHO. BES/Mobile Fusion will still be needed for corporations that want to keep things secure and "Balanced", but IMHO BIS is something that the value add has been passed by technology in developed mobile markets. Carriers in the US would rather sell a device with no recurring fees to a third party and no additional carrier infrastructure to support. They just want to send packets from the phone to the Net and be a data provider.
    03-05-12 08:13 PM
    Are BIS plans more in the states like on top of your data plan? I'm with Bell in Canada and my data plan costs the same as my wife's plan. We have the same amount of data unlimited text etc... I know mine is structured different for billing and is a "Blackberry" plan but its the same cost for the same data
    03-05-12 08:17 PM
    If PB OS2.0 is any indicator, then you shouldn't need a BIS plan for e-mail or Internet browsing with BB10. My Playbook is getting all of the e-mail that my Blackberry does using EAS, with the exception of the BIS @tmo.blackberry.net e-mail which I don't really use for anything anyway, and it will still be able to browse the NET and get e-mail even in the event of another epic RIM NOC failure. So the question is if everything but BBM can be done without a BIS plan under BB10, what does that say for the future of BIS and BBM if you and/or your carrier has to pay additional for BIS? RIM really just should give BBM away for free as part of the Blackberry experience when they transition to BB10, and replace the revenues from BIS with revenues from content (Music, movies, etc.) IMHO. BES/Mobile Fusion will still be needed for corporations that want to keep things secure and "Balanced", but IMHO BIS is something that the value add has been passed by technology in developed mobile markets. Carriers in the US would rather sell a device with no recurring fees to a third party and no additional carrier infrastructure to support. They just want to send packets from the phone to the Net and be a data provider.

If people don't want BIS, they should buy another brand,

BIS offers so much more than just BBM access, my PlayBook has no compression, it doesn't get the battery advantage of the BIS pushed service.

RIM does need to find more value added services for the carriers to tie to BIS, but the loss of BIS means I have 1 MAJOR less reason to use a BlackBerry because I actually appreciate what BlackBerry offers me, beyond just BBM.
    03-05-12 08:51 PM
    RIM should offer two different lines of smart phones. One for the general consumer/general public and another for cooperate people. Consumer should have the choice to decide if they want a BIS based phone or regular non-stone age faster 4G LTE speed phone.

Let's take Bold 99xx. Instead of issuing Bold 9900 and 9930, RIM could have released Bold 9900 with all the GSM/CDMA bands for the general consumers who don't want BIS and Bold 9930 for companies who wants BIS or consumers who want the BIS features.
    03-05-12 08:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD