wouldn't that be assuming that the child is smart enough NOT to text while driving? but then, i've seen adults that are supposedly smart enough to know better, texting while behind the wheel
    I think you missed the post that was in response to. I said he is not driving, he does not have a car. I have unleashed him on society with a BB but NOT with a car.

There is no car, there is no driving.

Hard to text while driving if there is no car and there is no driving.

PAY ATTENTION!!!!
    04-14-09 05:36 AM
    Blackberry Perals are the new Sidekicks.
    this.

But hey, at least the Pearls don't suck!!
    04-14-09 06:57 AM
    Blackberry Perals are the new Sidekicks.
    Agreed.

-------------
    04-14-09 07:06 AM
    if you buy something for your child so you should not be worry if you are satisfied about that and don,t listen what the other say.
    04-14-09 08:00 AM
    if you buy something for your child so you should not be worry if you are satisfied about that and don,t listen what the other say.

Agreed.

04-15-09 04:44 PM
    But you're not thinking!!!

You guys need to be careful with kids and BlackBerries! I mean, who knows, they could be out texting their friends about the next time they're going to go drinking and how much they should shoot up this weekend!

Smartphones are serious business. If you don't have kids and a house, how can you be expected to have access to the internet everywhere you go!??

This is preposterous. I'm going back to my accounting.
    They could be texting their druggy, alcoholic, and promiscuous friends on a POS RAZR V3 for that matter.
    Yeah, my parents love me. <3

Can everyone stop generalizing about kids, please? There are exceptions, and I've seen a few of them in this topic. The teenagers posting in this topic seem to be the responsible ones; the ones who deserve a BlackBerry. The ones that aren't in this topic are the ones who don't know how to use a BB properly, get involved in a community like this and overall don't really need one. BlackBerries should be given when they are responsible in day-to-day activities, grades, etc and know how to use one properly. And no, I don't mean how to make a call or text. I mean install a Beta OS, manage free memory, keep applications tidy; that sort of stuff.

Here's a little comparison for you adults having trouble understanding. When you were a kid there were toys. There were the normal toys and then the "special" toys. Well, most parents bought their kids the normal toys and their kids were okay with it, but wouldn't have minded the "special" toy. Some parents, whether it be for good behavior, grades or a special occasion, bought their kid the "special" toy. Was the kid a spoiled brat because they got the "special" toy and someone else didn't? No.

Now, why is this much different from getting a normal phone compared to a BlackBerry. A normal phone is the normal toy; the BlackBerry is the "special" toy. Teens that get BlackBerries are not some spoiled brat just because they have a more high end/"special" item. No; what spoils a child is the parents buying them everything, telling them they are the best thing since sliced bread (and giving them an enlarged ego) and not putting boundaries on them.

All the teens that I have seen post here have their own set of boundaries and consequences of what will happen if they do something wrong. Some have to pay for the data plan themselves, others have to keep up good grades, whatever it is - they do it. We don't just get given these things as toys; we respect them and value them. We use them for more than a cool texting phone. We use the Calendar, Email, Tasks, you name it. I probably keep my Curve in better condition - both physically and internally - than some adults. I'm anal about how my electronics are treated. None have so much as a scratch on them. I deserve what I get. I work hard to afford them and to maintain them.

For the record, I'm a working lifeguard (yes, that's after 200+ hours of training, on top of school) getting paid $22.50/hour. I do ~20 hours a week ($1500+/mo). I can pay for my plan if I want to, but my parents paying for it is a gift to me, for my determination in everything I do. I'm currently saving for a car for when I turn 17. Who knows; we may go 50/50 on it, or my parents might spend a few thousand on it. We'll see then.

Teens can use BlackBerries just as well, if not better, than some of you. Let us use them in peace, okay? And call us teens, not kids. Kids are younger than us.

Damn; I really have to stop writing such long replies. Wonder how many people read through this fully...

I love my blackberry, and texting for that matter, because I can talk to my friends about anything. Such as when we are having another party or whos house is open. Makes things much easier in front of the parents. Gives me lots of privacy.

Also I pay for my own plan and paid for my phone. And I use it to its full potential. Just because kids are irresponsible in some areas of their life, doesn't mean it translates to other parts of their life. Yeah I drink and expirement, but I don't drink and drive. Thats a good example of irresponsible and responsible.

edit: i text/websurf while driving. does this make you angry?
    Last edited by airy52; 05-05-09 at 09:33 PM.
    05-05-09 09:26 PM
    I'm 16 and I use a BB. I've used a BB since i was 13. I started working at the age of 13 and wanted to get one. Anyways.. from that age, I've been using BB's (maybe switched to iPhone for a couple months). I have a small little business and I need to check my e-mail. I need people to pin message me or text me. Just because we are teenagers, doesn't mean we do not need BB's.
    05-05-09 09:32 PM
    I purchased a BB Curve for my son's 16th birthday. He was due for an upgrade with Tmo so I decide to pay the extra $99. No he doesn't have a data plan at this time. Once he gets a job this summer then he will decide if it's something he wants to pay for or not. I don't think there is anything wrong with someone in High School having a blackberry. It is only a small step up from a Sidekick which cost close to the same thing.

But, everyone has their own opinion and everyone should be mindful of that when they are being judgmental when everyone child/teenager/person is different.

I despise when people stereotypes.
    05-05-09 09:36 PM
    ^^^^thank you ^^^^^

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-05-09 10:20 PM
    I don't think people under the age of 18 should have BBs unless they are working and can pay for it. Otherwise (tweens) will not learn any responsibility if parents are freely giving out things.

At least if you are going to give them a BB at that age offer it or give it to them as a graduation present. That is acceptable.

Its really the parents fault and they soon will pay for it when they see nude pictures of there (11-17) year olds posted on the internet or if they happen to look in the phone and see them. What good does a BB do to those young kids? Cheat in school? Text friends? It takes their minds off school(education) and that's why kids now days are failing and don't have a bit of sense.

Its also the tv(phone carriers) that are helping further hurt the problem with kids having cell phones. They all like to talk about friends and family my favs and this and that and they have kids playing active roles in the commercial so kids are thinking its acceptable to have these expensive phones and data plans. If they wanted to keep track of their kids only think I deem appropriate would be a prepaid cell phone and only if they got good grades or something worth rewarding would they get minutes. Shrugs.

Anyway I could go on and on about this but ill end on this note. Don't blame the kids....blame the parents for being so damn stupid.

05-06-09 01:44 AM
    I just turned 16 and got a blackberry curve for my birthday. I have a data plan that I don't pay for, however my data plan and unlimited texts depend on how I am doing in my enriched precalculus class (at the moment I have a 95, and this is a senior/junior class that I am taking as a sophomore, so I think I'm safe). No, I'm not dumb enough to text during class, and I'm not dumb enough to text while I'm driving. Please stop making these generalizations about kids (such as that they're irresponsible with everything, text during school, and send nude pictures of themselves to people) because the kids that do these things don't represent the majority of us. I am not an *****, and appreciate the education that I am getting, and will not mess it all up because of my cell phone.

By the way, poster above me, 'Tween' is the proper term for 10-12 year olds. Once you hit 13 you're a teen.

05-06-09 05:42 AM

edit: i text/websurf while driving. does this make you angry?
    Firstly > pmsl for the funny context ... but... come one man... seriously you text / websurf whilst driving?
    Hopefully you don't live near me and my kid...
    05-06-09 05:50 AM
    Firstly > pmsl for the funny context ... but... come one man... seriously you text / websurf whilst driving?
    Hopefully you don't live near me and my kid...
    just the occasional text or address look up. you hold it up so your periph vision can see the keyboard. sometimes you'll be driving and texting and 5 minutes later youre almost home and you wonder, wow, how did I get here I wasn't even looking at the road. human mind + periph vision is an amazing thing.
    05-06-09 09:41 AM
    I don't think people under the age of 18 should have BBs unless they are working and can pay for it. Otherwise (tweens) will not learn any responsibility if parents are freely giving out things.
    While I agree with the sentement I bolded, IF a person under 18 has a BlackBerry it doen't mean they havn't done other things to earn it. Working and paying are not the only ways of showing Responsibility. There are plenty of people I know who Worked and Pay their bills a but couldn't be responsible for a Plant.

My children are too young to use the House Phone (yes we still have a land line ) but when they are old enough I will determine If they are responsible enough and have earned the privledge of a Blackberry. One of my children may be ready for a phone when they turn 10 another might not be ready for a phone when they are 20. There are no preset age limits for maturity & responsibility. If My kid is 15 and can afford to pay for a Blackberry themselves and i don't feel they'rter ready for it it still isn't going to happen.
    Last edited by Devlyn16; 05-06-09 at 10:23 AM.
    05-06-09 09:57 AM
    remember that scene from seinfeld where cramer tried to buy a pizza. (or something with pennies)

I don't think a kid should have a BB till their mature and responsible to have it so the way is this "NO BB FOR YOU" get a sidekick
    05-06-09 12:03 PM
    That is hilarious. I don't see why kids would need a phone until they are old enough to be left completely alone somewhere. And I wouldn't be leaving my 11 or 12 year old alone at all. We didn't get cell phones until we were driving. Probably will be the same way with our kids.
    05-06-09 12:20 PM
    Some teenagers are mature enough to use them. Im 16, and use one. Yes, I have data plan as well that my parents pay for. Some of us, actually have part time jobs and personal lifes you know. I build themes for people and charge them, Im a dog trainer, and volunteer at tons of animal places. Having a blackberry is wonderful. It has a solution to all my problems, I can recieve important emails quickly... it becomes offensive when some people are too quick to judge when they don't even know the whole background of the teenager. Now, I do agree that 11 and 12 is crazy, but a High School student in my opinion it is worth it. Then there are also those teens who have a berry and don't know the capabilities and don't have data- I have taught many of my friends things they didn't know about their blackberries. So I have to disagree with your statement that people under 18 shouldn't have a blackberry. I understand people under 18 shouldn't drink or vote, but your opinions of a teenager not having a "phone"... is bizarre. (Dont take that to offense or anything, but I just don't understand why some adults, don't just understand why "kids" have a blackberry).

-I want to add, that I buy all my blackberry accessories... the only things my parents do are pay the bills. But I have spent hundreds of dollars on apps, accessories, etc... so it isn't as though I am "spoiled" as some people have called teens with blackberries in previous threads.
    I believe you are unique. I am glad to hear you have developed a work ethic and a love of volunteering. (I too volunteer at the local SPCA). In your case, you are using it as an adult would, for PIM functions and to structure your time. That is not the case with most teenagers, let alone 12 year olds. In many cases I believe the parents use it as a status symbol, having their kids walking around with blackberries boost their egos (the same could be said of an iphone). I applaud your hard work.
    05-06-09 02:45 PM
    I agree, I really don't get it. A person under 18 really has no use for it. Whats the point if you don't actually need access to your email, internet and what not. I am with you 100%.
    My son is 8 and has a pearl. He texts with the suretype. Just because you have a BB, doesn't mean you have to use it for data and email.

That is hilarious. I don't see why kids would need a phone until they are old enough to be left completely alone somewhere. And I wouldn't be leaving my 11 or 12 year old alone at all. We didn't get cell phones until we were driving. Probably will be the same way with our kids.
    God forbid this to happen but. When your child gets swiped or lost, I bet you will wish they had a cell phone.
    05-06-09 02:49 PM
    You seriously gave your 8 year old a cell phone? You've got to be kidding right?

05-06-09 05:06 PM
    Sure did. He's not your average 8 y.o. He can type fast and do whatever else he needs with it. He goes to school and rides a bus. Something happens, he can call or text me or my wife asap and we can help.
    I think 8 is the right age for a cell. We had them when we were teens. Technology gets better, and people get more use to it. Idk. I pay for it. And $10 more a month to ensure my son can contact me anytime, that makes me feel a little better while he's not around us.

05-06-09 05:12 PM
    You seriously gave your 8 year old a cell phone? You've got to be kidding right?

05-06-09 05:15 PM
    SORRY bout the double I didn't think it works...... It amazes me how anyone can actually believe 8 is the right age....... Guess its just cause I came from a place where I had to work for everything I wanted.....

05-06-09 05:17 PM
    SORRY bout the double I didn't think it works...... It amazes me how anyone can actually believe 8 is the right age....... Guess its just cause I came from a place where I had to work for everything I wanted.....

He doesn't use it for calling friends. I have only main numbers programmed in it for him.
    And when he has a job, he will pay for it if he wants more with it. But that's 10 years away.

And I'd hate to think "hey, he's missing, too bad he didn't have a job to afford $10 a month or we'd find him faster".

Maybe you don't have any children yet, but when you do, you'll understand. The BB 8100 he has, is mainly to help "US" stay connected as a family. And we can be assured he has it if he needs it.
    05-06-09 05:26 PM
    So I was at a birthday party for a two year old today. I was talking someone I had not seen in a long time as she took out her BB Pearl. The conversation took a SHORT turn to BBs. It as short lived because she told me she did not have a data plan, it was too expensive she was not paying $30 a month for it.

So as I was making my rounds I saw a young girl with a Curve, silly me asked whose phone was that. She immdiately replied MINE and her friend chimed in, I had a Bold. I asked how old are you two and do you have data and if so who pays for it. They replied 11 and 12 and yes they have data and their parents pay for it. The also informed me that most of the kids in their school have BBs mostly Pearls. The owner of the bold was upset because she broke hers and her parents gave her something prerazr to use. She was beside herself because she had to use such an ancient phone. As we were talking a friend texted one of them and said just got my Curve with data. I was like what in the world. I had to talk myself into getting my BB because of the $30 (I have two college degrees and a well paying job) nand parents are handing these out to young kids like they are tic tacs.

I guess one good thing, they both told me they could NEVER use a phone other than a BB. The one with the Bold said she is living proof, she said the phone they gave her is killing her and as soon as her Bold is fixed she is taking a hammer to the replacement.

truthfully I find that the end all answer to this is simple..

a parents kid is a parents kid if they decide to let them have a blackberry so be it..

its not really for us to debate
    05-06-09 05:37 PM
    I will agree, blackberries for young children can be a little ridiculous. However....

When you consider that a lot of services (not Verizon... pout) offer data FAMILY plans... I don't see how this is different than getting them any other new, expensive phone out there. Whether they pay the 129.99 for a curve or for a new touchscreen LG phone (or whatever else is out there, I'm so stuck on BB I don't even look anymore :P), why not let their children enjoy the benefits of surfing the web on the go? Sure, they don't need to have their emails on the go, but if the parents are only paying the *small* extra charge for their kid to share in their plan and they can afford it, why not give their kids the most fun phone out there? Eventually, they'll grow up, and in this case, they'll be ahead of the game and already understand the ins and outs of owning a smartphone, particularly a BB.

In other cases, if a kid is willing to pay for their own data plan (ie, my 15 year old sister), then it really isn't the parents who are "giving" their kid this BB. I, as well, pay for my own data plan on Verizon (20 years old, yay me ). In fact, my parents don't even own blackberries! ("Just give me a phone so that I can see the keys when I text, I don't want to learn how to send & receive emails now, I have my laptop for that Hayley!) She has yet to lose/ruin/drop in toilet or other liquid/scratch her BB and let me tell you, this is VERY impressive for her! And sure, not getting her emails immediately wouldn't make or break her day, but she's a regional soccer player U16- her state/club practices are constantly being canceled or rescheduled. Having a BB makes anyone's life easier, not just people who NEED their emails, etc.

Oh, and also, I apologize if my points are repetitive throughout the forum, I do not have time to skim all 12 pages as I am running off to class- just wanted to add my view on the subject!
    05-06-09 06:04 PM
198 ... 5678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD