UM, did you miss the part where I am a paramedic, their dad, grandfather and uncle are police officers? LOL unfortunatly my children know all to well about the "real world", probably more than they should and def more than other kids their ages have been exposed to. They have heard much and seen pictures... we are open with them about what we encounter at our jobs. This could be why they are so willing to have such open conversations with us? They are all quite aware of what can happen when bad dfecisions are made. Please don't read all of this wrong. I do not keep them under lock and key with only a bible to read, lol. They come and go with their friends, and I can trust they are where they say they will be but again I am not above checking in on them. I dont have myself convinced that they will never sneak around because their friends are doing it. we will come to that when we have to. WOW this is more than I thought it would be. Simply put I know what is going on with my kids. Are you as honest with your parents? That is what all healthy realtionships are made of. Honesty. If I didn't trust them they sure wouldnt have smart phones either lol.
    I have a great relationship with my mom and dad. I however would never let them check my text messages or calls. To me thats personal. I let my mom and dad know what im doing and they know im not a bad kid. I have never gotten in big trouble or anything. I also have an older cousin who had overprotective parents. She ended up getting pregnant with a guy because she was never allowed to act like she was in the real world. And yes she was warned of teen pregnancy and drugs and all and her parents showed her the consequences. I am however pretty open to the world. I know a ton of things about current events in the world. I just cant see how your kids can stand it.

I really could care less about how you treat your kids im just trying to give you my perspective as a 13 year old in middle school.
    04-12-09 08:27 PM
    I have a great relationship with my mom and dad. I however would never let them check my text messages or calls. To me thats personal. I let my mom and dad know what im doing and they know im not a bad kid. I have never gotten in big trouble or anything. I also have an older cousin who had overprotective parents. She ended up getting pregnant with a guy because she was never allowed to act like she was in the real world. And yes she was warned of teen pregnancy and drugs and all and her parents showed her the consequences. I am however pretty open to the world. I know a ton of things about current events in the world. I just cant see how your kids can stand it.

I really could care less about how you treat your kids im just trying to give you my perspective as a 13 year old in middle school.
    As a 13 yr old in middle school------YOU DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING THAT IS TOO PERSONAL FOR YOUR PARENTS TO SEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHEN YOU GETSOME PERSONAL BUSINESS THEY CANT SEE YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO SUPPORT YOURSELF (AND YOUR BB)!!!!!!
    04-12-09 08:29 PM
    hehe, my kids never went to private school, just a better one before. We moved and there are no other options for us. My kids have to go to school with kids whose parents are dope dealers. And those children never cease to amaze me with their behavior! And CDOWNER.... I am not 40, lol as a matter of fact I am not a whole lot older than you! I know the whole smothered thing. I never said they cant talk to ppl who curse, but those kids will not curse in a message on a phone I pay for. besides my daughter is 10!! NO WAY should 10yo little girls be using a term Bit** in texts to other children. That is why she is no longer allowed to text my daughter . Not to irrational of me really is it? And as hard as it is to believe, I don't ask them to tell me everything, there are things they feel comfortable enough to just come to me with. I have no doubt that there are things that I don't know about. But I know they value their reputations with us and try their best to behave properly.
    04-12-09 08:29 PM
    this is making me feel old that at 13 I didn't even have a cell phone, and 13 year olds now have blackberries. I turned 22 last month and just got it as a birthday present.
    04-12-09 08:31 PM
    k im done lol
    Last edited by tehBrad; 04-12-09 at 08:34 PM.
    04-12-09 08:31 PM
    You are 13 and would never LET your parents check your phone? Do you have a job and pay for your phone yourself? Do you eat the food they buy and use the water they pay for? lol sorry darlin but you don't have privacy, you are a child. Your privacy is when you are taking a shower or on the pot as far as I am concerned. It's harsh I know but you will be grown soon enough don't rush it!
    04-12-09 08:33 PM
    ehh i dont like talking about drugs or sex or anything to my parents

if anything i find that embarrassing

i am taking control of my own life

i dont fall to peer pressure and hopefully never will

At 13 you are taking control of your own life? how cute--you have no idea!!!!
    04-12-09 08:33 PM
    UM, did you miss the part where I am a paramedic, their dad, grandfather and uncle are police officers? LOL unfortunatly my children know all to well about the "real world", probably more than they should and def more than other kids their ages have been exposed to. They have heard much and seen pictures... we are open with them about what we encounter at our jobs. This could be why they are so willing to have such open conversations with us? They are all quite aware of what can happen when bad dfecisions are made. Please don't read all of this wrong. I do not keep them under lock and key with only a bible to read, lol. They come and go with their friends, and I can trust they are where they say they will be but again I am not above checking in on them. I dont have myself convinced that they will never sneak around because their friends are doing it. we will come to that when we have to. WOW this is more than I thought it would be. Simply put I know what is going on with my kids. Are you as honest with your parents? That is what all healthy realtionships are made of. Honesty. If I didn't trust them they sure wouldnt have smart phones either lol.
    I feel horrible for this woman who has been badgered against the wall, and is now qualifying her parenting skills and her children's responsibilities as a result.
    I refuse to back up, or qualify myself to anyone.
    Deer2myhrt, you keep doing what you're doing and please don't feel the need to justify your actions as a parent.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-12-09 08:34 PM
    I know I started this thread but I will only be responding to adults from now on, debating with kids on the internet is a bit much for me---sorry!
    04-12-09 08:34 PM
    OH good LORD this is really going downhill fast!!! LOL good relationship with the parents should make you feel comfortable talking about sex, drugs and anything else with them. Taking control of your own life??? How old are you? lol If your parents are still supporting you then it is not your own life it is still theirs!! EEEKKKK I know!
    04-12-09 08:35 PM
    Why is everyone attacking the 13 year old?
    Stop being so harsh, jeez..

EDIT:
    Yeah, things have gotten out of hand, and I contributed to it
    Anyways, I have AP homework to take care of, so you guys keep on debating, I might check back later to see who else got pulled in..hahahaha
    Last edited by cslave; 04-12-09 at 08:38 PM.
    04-12-09 08:36 PM
    hehe, my kids never went to private school, just a better one before. We moved and there are no other options for us. My kids have to go to school with kids whose parents are dope dealers. And those children never cease to amaze me with their behavior! And CDOWNER.... I am not 40, lol as a matter of fact I am not a whole lot older than you! I know the whole smothered thing. I never said they cant talk to ppl who curse, but those kids will not curse in a message on a phone I pay for. besides my daughter is 10!! NO WAY should 10yo little girls be using a term Bit** in texts to other children. That is why she is no longer allowed to text my daughter . Not to irrational of me really is it? And as hard as it is to believe, I don't ask them to tell me everything, there are things they feel comfortable enough to just come to me with. I have no doubt that there are things that I don't know about. But I know they value their reputations with us and try their best to behave properly.
    No, you are right. I am sure you are a good parent and I wish growing up sometimes my mother and I could talk about everything like your kids do with you. I am not trying to badmouth your style, I am glad in this day and age you are a hands on parent when so many are not.
    04-12-09 08:37 PM
    as in my life i mean i can decide if i want to do drugs
    which i dont

i decide if i want to have sex
    which i dont at this age

i decide if i want to bully somone
    which i dont

ya whatever

im done debating
    it was fun lol
    04-12-09 08:38 PM
    I would never let my kids have a BB. I have one for my business. But not my kids. My 7 son year old asked if he could have a phone and I said no not for another 9 to 10 years, he pulled but my friend does, he has an envy at age 7. Wow is all I can say about kids having BB's.
    04-12-09 08:44 PM
    Most american parents are not all that bright. This thread proves it. No discipline for kids these days.

04-12-09 08:45 PM
    I'm not done here!
    04-12-09 08:46 PM
    as in my life i mean i can decide if i want to do drugs
    which i dont

i decide if i want to have sex
    which i dont at this age

i decide if i want to bully somone
    which i dont

ya whatever

im done debating
    it was fun lol
    Those examples are a bit extreme, but they prove the point that we should be able to make our own decisions.
    04-12-09 08:49 PM
    I don't feel I am defending myself, lol. I have nothing to defend and nothing will change the way I raise my children. I have put this all out there so hopefully it could make a difference in other families relationships to know it doesnt have to be so hard. I enjoy being a parent and my kids enjoy spending time with their parents! It is the best ocupation in the world!!! lol There are bumps in the road and I only wish that all children could feel secure enough to bring their problems and questions to their parents. It would break my heart if my kids didn't trust me to bring issues to me. As I am sure they would be crushed if they felt I don't trust them. Our best times are in the middle of nowhere camping all together, no tv, computers, video games.... Just family time and loving every second of it. They will be gone in the blink of an eye, I am soaking it all up while I can!
    04-12-09 08:51 PM
    Most american parents are not all that bright. This thread proves it. No discipline for kids these days.

Probably the "dumbest" comment I've seen so far in this thread.

04-12-09 08:56 PM
    all i have to say is, that having internet at home etc is a neccessity for many young individuals for school work etc but in no way should kids that do not have a job or any kind of needs for email means should have a blackbery. A blackberry is a buisness oriented phone and in no way should kids be using them especially in that they do not need email or the data features. I believe if you think you are mature enough to need a blackberry and data features you should be mature enough to have a job, and that you pay for your extra service fees.
    04-12-09 09:06 PM
    I am so done with this never ending argument.
    04-12-09 09:09 PM
    My parenting style is that if their going to do something illegal, it better be under my supervision. As for kids and blackberries, no doubt, it is a want. There is no NEED for a blackberry.
    "Oh, but I'm president of this, i have a job, I have 'appointments'." - A Razr can make calls, text, and has a calendar. I'm not getting your point? Just say it. You wanted something shiny with a full QWERTY.
    04-12-09 09:16 PM
    I didn't know there was an arguement. I was participating in a very informative and entertaining discussion. lol
    04-12-09 09:20 PM
    But you're not thinking!!!

You guys need to be careful with kids and BlackBerries! I mean, who knows, they could be out texting their friends about the next time they're going to go drinking and how much they should shoot up this weekend!

Smartphones are serious business. If you don't have kids and a house, how can you be expected to have access to the internet everywhere you go!??

This is preposterous. I'm going back to my accounting.
    You are right. This is preposterous. Do you think that every kid who texts their friends is texting them about drugs and alcohol?

Do you not think there are kids out there going to school to get an education and take staying clean and sober very seiously and have the credentials to prove that?

Do you think I would give a BB to my son if I even remotely thought that was what he was using it for rather than as a tool for school, business classes and staying in touch with me and his friends?

I know you are going to flame me now and tell me I couldn't possibly know everywhere that my son is, but I do know where he has been and where he is now.

I also know you were speaking in general terms and not to me specifically, so I just want you to see how ridiculous such a blanket statement like that about all teens is.

I would be really upset by your post, but I realize you don't know me, you don't know my son.

Yet I do find your idea that a teen texting their friends would only be texting them about drugs and alcohol quite offensive.

Again, some young people take school and sobriety seiously.
    04-12-09 09:50 PM
    Why do guys care so much what other kids have, worry about you own. If it's not appropriate for your kids than fine.
    How does a kid that is not yours having a BB effect your life?
    Last edited by Maliberti; 04-12-09 at 10:23 PM.
    04-12-09 10:04 PM
198 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD