I'm 13 and have a Blackberry Storm. I love my Blackberry and no i dont pay a penny of the bill my mom does. the only reason i dont have to pay for it though is because i am a straight A student. But seriously, a kid having a Blackberry is not out of the ordinary. I know 5 other kids 13-14 in my school that have Blackberry Storms and i know MANY kids with curves and pearls they are everywhere. And besides having a Blackberry, on my bus, almost everyone has a smart phone, including palms and others.

i sense flaming is coming...
    I'm not going to flame, but getting good grades should be EXPECTED of you, not rewarded with special PRIVILEGES.
    04-12-09 12:17 PM
    I'm 13 and I got my BB for my 12th BDay. I get straight A's, and am a national honor student. I also am taking 9th grade classes in 7th grade. I have since upgraded to a G1 and then the iPhone which I am presently using. I have been paying for the different data plan since my BB. Nothing you guys can say about that, but I know someone will.
    I will say something. All the money you're spending on a data plan that there's no way in the world that you NEED at your age should be getting saved and put away for your future. You know, things like College that ARE important. You may be a good student, but that's no guarantee of a free ride through college. There are a lot of scholarships out there, but there is also alot of competition. With the economy the way it is right now, even at your age you should be SAVING.
    04-12-09 12:23 PM
    First of all my carrier (Cellular South) offers a Blackberry plan for $49.99 that includes data,unlimited text and 200 voice minutes with free mobile to mobile. I considered doing that for my 14 year old but they came out with a $20 text and talk plan that was really all he needed. My point is that at least around my town, owning a bb does not have to cost $100 a month.
    Now im gonna go off the deep end and say that I've grown weary of people deciding what other people, who they may or may not know,NEED. All of us at some point make judgements about what we consider excessive behavior, but at the end of the day if it doesn't affect you personally its really none of our business. As stated my 14 year old doesn't have a blackberry and doesn't need one (most other kids don't either) however if I want to get him one, then why should you care. I'm paying, not you. We all need to be cautious of deciding what other folks need because sooner or later someone may decide that you don't need a that big screen or that boat or that big house or take your pick. If I buy my kid a Blackberry just keep your comments to yourself and I won't judge whether or not you NEED that $300 pair of shoes you have on.
    Sorry for the rant....I may have been watching too much Fox News.
    Happy Easter!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-12-09 12:31 PM
    I'm not going to flame, but getting good grades should be EXPECTED of you, not rewarded with special PRIVILEGES.
    i agree, my parents never rewarded me with special things when i got good grades

we usually went out for ice cream when i came home with straight As, and i was satisfied with that!

kids who got money for every good grade they got always pissed me off..
    04-12-09 12:31 PM
    I agree. You get good grades because...that's what you're supposed to do. The reward is...not being dumb.

However, I do think people get way too bent out of shape, over what others do for their own kids. Last time I checked, there's spoiled rotten, disrespectful, out-of-control, ungrateful, undereducated kids,...with Blackberrys/iPhones and without. Gadgets don't create bad children.

However, rotten kids often grow into rotten adults, which puts a strain on us all. So, there's nothing wrong with teaching children manners, and respect and all those other good things that a smart phone simply can't do, smart as it is. Saying "Thank you", and "Excuse me" (without having to be prompted) is way cuter to me, than saying "I'm only seven and I know how to upgrade my Blackberry OS all by myself!". But...that's just me.

Also, "kids" seem to forget that we (the "old" folks) are responsible for bringing the technology that they so freely embrace. Just because many of us were raised under a different standard (which wasn't a bad one, btw) doesn't mean we don't understand technology and the possibilities.
    04-12-09 12:47 PM
    I always find this view point interesting. If in my job I am the equivalent of a "D" student, I'll be fired. If I'm a "C" student, I may keep my job but not advance in position or pay. "B" & "A" students tend to receive rewards of Pay increase, bonuses and an increased likelihood for advancement within the company.

In my opinion you expect good grades of children & reward/punish appropriately based on the results. Just like the 'Real World' has expected, rewarded and/or punished me.

*** for what it is worth: Growing up my good grades were NEVER rewarded, and my bad grades were not punished severely enough.
    04-12-09 02:21 PM
    I always find this view point interesting. If in my job I am the equivalent of a "D" student, I'll be fired. If I'm a "C" student, I may keep my job but not advance in position or pay. "B" & "A" students tend to receive rewards of Pay increase, bonuses and an increased likelihood for advancement within the company.

In my opinion you expect good grades of children & reward/punish appropriately based on the results. Just like the 'Real World' has expected, rewarded and/or punished me.

*** for what it is worth: Growing up my good grades were NEVER rewarded, and my bad grades were not punished severely enough.
    Smarts are what you gain, from doing well in school. Promotions and incentives are based on job performance, but you need the smarts to perform...keep your job, get promoted, receive incentives, etc.

We don't pay kids to go to school. Receiving a good education is the reward. Employees work for a living. Students work for an education, in order to make a living.

You got kids that don't wanna do anything, without sticking their hands out first.
    04-12-09 02:42 PM
    Smarts are what you gain, from doing well in school. Promotions and incentives are based on job performance, but you need the smarts to perform...keep your job, get promoted, receive incentives, etc.

We don't pay kids to go to school. Receiving a good education is the reward. Employees work for a living. Students work for an education, in order to make a living.

You got kids that don't wanna do anything, without sticking their hands out first.
    Kids don't see education as a reward. Kids (actually, people in general) are impatient. They want instantaneous reward. Candy, money, electronics. Thats how their brains work. They don't see that if they do their homework, they will be a doctor. They see if they don't do their homework, they can watch twenty five more minutes of TV. Did you forget what it's like to be a kid or did you just spawn a crabby adult?
    04-12-09 03:36 PM
    Kids don't see education as a reward. Kids (actually, people in general) are impatient. They want instantaneous reward. Candy, money, electronics. Thats how their brains work. They don't see that if they do their homework, they will be a doctor. They see if they don't do their homework, they can watch twenty five more minutes of TV. Did you forget what it's like to be a kid or did you just spawn a crabby adult?
    No, actually I don't have any spawn. Secondly, I never said that kids think like adults. I know how kids think. I said education has its own rewards. Now, either you agree with that, or you don't. If you do (and it seems like you do), then what's your point?
    04-12-09 03:40 PM
    I just became the Executive Producer for my school's TV show. I'm 16. If I have the responsibility of a school's TV show, do I also have the responsibility of a BlackBerry?
    04-12-09 03:46 PM
    This is a silly thread.

My son and I both have 8330s and he is on my family plan which includes data and vision with my carrier.

My son is 16. He goes to school at Job Corps about 70 miles away, the trade he is taking is business. He has had cell phones since he was 12, never broke or lost one, never dmaged one (unlike me, who accidentally out one through the washing machine when I didn't check my pockets) and always (well almost always) obeyed my rules and limits for using them.

I know he mostly uses his BB for texting his friends, email and music, does not use it to its full potential and probably doesn't really *need* a BlackBerry, but then, neither do I , but I love it!

Sure, he could text and call me daily, as well as send me pictures of him and his friends, with any old phone, as well as organize his appointments and assignments (to some extent), but this gives him the internet as well.

And yes, I do pay for it for him, but how does that bother you? It is a BlackBerry, for cripes sake. Its not like I bought him a car and unleashed a teenaged boy on society by putting him on the road. Now THAT would be irresponsible of me as a parent.

Yes, he has a BlackBerry that I pay for so he can stay in touch with his friends and with me while he is away at school...and but the streets are a little safer.

I'm sure he doesn't use it to all of its fullest capabilities and maybe he doesn't *need* one, but then again, neither do I.

Obviously this makes me a horrible person and an equally horrible parent.

But I love my BlackBerry!!!!

love the car bit and its true atleast he isnt out drinking and driving and getting himself or somebody else killed. aint knobody gonna die from him texting his friends
    04-12-09 04:12 PM
    love the car bit and its true atleast he isnt out drinking and driving and getting himself or somebody else killed. aint knobody gonna die from him texting his friends
    But you're not thinking!!!

You guys need to be careful with kids and BlackBerries! I mean, who knows, they could be out texting their friends about the next time they're going to go drinking and how much they should shoot up this weekend!

Smartphones are serious business. If you don't have kids and a house, how can you be expected to have access to the internet everywhere you go!??

This is preposterous. I'm going back to my accounting.
    04-12-09 04:28 PM
    But you're not thinking!!!

You guys need to be careful with kids and BlackBerries! I mean, who knows, they could be out texting their friends about the next time they're going to go drinking and how much they should shoot up this weekend!
    They could be texting their druggy, alcoholic, and promiscuous friends on a POS RAZR V3 for that matter.
    04-12-09 04:32 PM
    I wish my parents would do that! I agree completely with your post.
    Yeah, my parents love me. <3

Can everyone stop generalizing about kids, please? There are exceptions, and I've seen a few of them in this topic. The teenagers posting in this topic seem to be the responsible ones; the ones who deserve a BlackBerry. The ones that aren't in this topic are the ones who don't know how to use a BB properly, get involved in a community like this and overall don't really need one. BlackBerries should be given when they are responsible in day-to-day activities, grades, etc and know how to use one properly. And no, I don't mean how to make a call or text. I mean install a Beta OS, manage free memory, keep applications tidy; that sort of stuff.

Here's a little comparison for you adults having trouble understanding. When you were a kid there were toys. There were the normal toys and then the "special" toys. Well, most parents bought their kids the normal toys and their kids were okay with it, but wouldn't have minded the "special" toy. Some parents, whether it be for good behavior, grades or a special occasion, bought their kid the "special" toy. Was the kid a spoiled brat because they got the "special" toy and someone else didn't? No.

Now, why is this much different from getting a normal phone compared to a BlackBerry. A normal phone is the normal toy; the BlackBerry is the "special" toy. Teens that get BlackBerries are not some spoiled brat just because they have a more high end/"special" item. No; what spoils a child is the parents buying them everything, telling them they are the best thing since sliced bread (and giving them an enlarged ego) and not putting boundaries on them.

All the teens that I have seen post here have their own set of boundaries and consequences of what will happen if they do something wrong. Some have to pay for the data plan themselves, others have to keep up good grades, whatever it is - they do it. We don't just get given these things as toys; we respect them and value them. We use them for more than a cool texting phone. We use the Calendar, Email, Tasks, you name it. I probably keep my Curve in better condition - both physically and internally - than some adults. I'm anal about how my electronics are treated. None have so much as a scratch on them. I deserve what I get. I work hard to afford them and to maintain them.

For the record, I'm a working lifeguard (yes, that's after 200+ hours of training, on top of school) getting paid $22.50/hour. I do ~20 hours a week ($1500+/mo). I can pay for my plan if I want to, but my parents paying for it is a gift to me, for my determination in everything I do. I'm currently saving for a car for when I turn 17. Who knows; we may go 50/50 on it, or my parents might spend a few thousand on it. We'll see then.

Teens can use BlackBerries just as well, if not better, than some of you. Let us use them in peace, okay? And call us teens, not kids. Kids are younger than us.

Damn; I really have to stop writing such long replies. Wonder how many people read through this fully...
    04-12-09 04:36 PM

Can everyone stop generalizing about kids, please? There are exceptions, and I've seen a few of them in this topic. The teenagers posting in this topic seem to be the responsible ones; the ones who deserve a BlackBerry. The ones that aren't in this topic are the ones who don't know how to use a BB properly, get involved in a community like this and overall don't really need one. BlackBerries should be given when they are responsible in day-to-day activities, grades, etc and know how to use one properly. And no, I don't mean how to make a call or text. I mean install a Beta OS, manage free memory, keep applications tidy; that sort of stuff.

Here's a little comparison for you adults having trouble understanding. When you were a kid there were toys. There were the normal toys and then the "special" toys. Well, most parents bought their kids the normal toys and their kids were okay with it, but wouldn't have minded the "special" toy. Some parents, whether it be for good behavior, grades or a special occasion, bought their kid the "special" toy. Was the kid a spoiled brat because they got the "special" toy and someone else didn't? No.

Now, why is this much different from getting a normal phone compared to a BlackBerry. A normal phone is the normal toy; the BlackBerry is the "special" toy. Teens that get BlackBerries are not some spoiled brat just because they have a more high end/"special" item. No; what spoils a child is the parents buying them everything, telling them they are the best thing since sliced bread (and giving them an enlarged ego) and not putting boundaries on them.

All the teens that I have seen post here have their own set of boundaries and consequences of what will happen if they do something wrong. Some have to pay for the data plan themselves, others have to keep up good grades, whatever it is - they do it. We don't just get given these things as toys; we respect them and value them. We use them for more than a cool texting phone. We use the Calendar, Email, Tasks, you name it. I probably keep my Curve in better condition - both physically and internally - than some adults. I'm anal about how my electronics are treated. None have so much as a scratch on them. I deserve what I get. I work hard to afford them and to maintain them.

For the record, I'm a working lifeguard (yes, that's after 200+ hours of training, on top of school) getting paid $22.50/hour. I do ~20 hours a week ($1500+/mo). I can pay for my plan if I want to, but my parents paying for it is a gift to me, for my determination in everything I do. I'm currently saving for a car for when I turn 17. Who knows; we may go 50/50 on it, or my parents might spend a few thousand on it. We'll see then.

Teens can use BlackBerries just as well, if not better, than some of you. Let us use them in peace, okay? And call us teens, not kids. Kids are younger than us.

Damn; I really have to stop writing such long replies. Wonder how many people read through this fully...
    +1

I completely agree with everything you said.
    04-12-09 04:42 PM
    OK, I really think that everyone has lost sight of the OP. There ARE children out there that are responsible my 10 yo daughter has showed herself much more responsible with a cell phone than my 16 yo son did to begin with. ** I monitor EVERY text message and phone call that comes and goes on their phones. They know that and they know that they can not erase any of them. They bring me their phones, I read every message and then I delete them. Some phone carriers even will have every time and number that texts come and go for parents to see in their online account. My kids know this its great!! So, in the OP the person was saying that these kids were expecting their BB's in the newest model with all the bells and wistles..... that is just SILLY. My kids know that their phones are a privilege and grades are the first thing that will cause them to loose their phones. I dont feel like that is rewarding them for good grades.... they are still having to earn this privilege and one way is keeping up with their studies. I think this is teaching them responsibility and self control. How easy it would be to run up a $4,000 phone bill like that one girl did! HAHA I check their usage often.

No we didn't have cell phones when we were kids, because they were not as dispensable or affordable back then. I had a pager.....lol oh the times have changed.

Point being. some kids are spoiled, some parents have no control of their children. But please don't judge us that are doing the best we can. Not all children are brats. There are children who are thankful for the priviledged life they have. Some of them do understand how hard their parents have to work for them to have their "toys" and appreciate that. So kindly remember when you feel like going on a rant that not all of them are so rotten well not all the time at least hehe.
    04-12-09 05:52 PM
    Only a parent truly knows their child. Children mature at different levels. Personally, I would not give my child a BB simply because they wanted it. If my child showed a reason for needing a BB, showed they were responsible enough to have it, and could pay for it...then they would be allowed to have one. They would also understand that it is PRIVILEDGE - not a right.
    04-12-09 06:00 PM
    ** I monitor EVERY text message and phone call that comes and goes on their phones.
    i would HATE to be your son..

especially for example i get really racy or bad languaged message every once in a while from a friend
    ^
    would you're daughter get in trouble?

that would creep me out if my parents checked my messages and phone calls not that i say anything bad about my parents or that im involved in anything bad

just my 2 cents
    04-12-09 06:09 PM
    Many schools do this already.

I go to an inter-district magnet school where all the students are given tablet laptops to keep for the year and so most of our assignments are electronic and managed through an online website where you interact with teachers/administrators and view/submit all of your assignments. Its great, I go to school with a couple pencils, a notebook just in case, and my laptop (all our textbooks are PDFs).
    thats awesome! what grade is that?
    04-12-09 06:21 PM
    There are some responsible kids out there. I am 16, and I feel as if I am pretty responsible. Would I say the same about all kids? No, some kids are just idiots. I don't know if a kid needs a blackberry for their first phone though. I got mine after I had a razor.
    04-12-09 06:27 PM
    Oh YES!! They both have gotten a text from friends that had language I do not allow. I saw that my son instantly replied to his friend with "watch how you talk on here I am monitored closely" and my daughter is not allowed to text with that little girl anymore. My children do not get in trouble for things their friends say as long as they set them straight. I have instilled christian values in my children and hope that they continue to respond in a proper way to their peers when inappropriate texts come to them. They have all in all proven themselves responsible. I understand they have no control over what others say to them but if they are warned not to continue talking like that they will be banned from texting my children. I do not monitor them so closely to be mean I want to protect them as much as I can. I am the same way with the internet, even my 17yo has to ask permission to use the computer, that is in the living room. And I do check the history, the kids know this also.

I am a paramedic, my husband is a police officer as is my dad and brother. The internet AND texting are ways that predators use to lure children. I will do whatever I have to do to keep my children safe. This also goes for the temptations to view things on the internet that they should not. yes I know what goes through a 17 yo boys mind I have brothers!

IMO children that are still living under my roof and I am paying their bills really don't have "privacy". Hubby and I dont see eye to eye on that, but I pay that ell bill so I will see what goes on with the phones. But really it has not come to that with my kids, they are more than willing to follow my rules to keep their phones.
    04-12-09 06:27 PM
    deer2myhrt, I am SO GLAD I am not your kid. I think I would die if my mom was that anal! I love my Mom more than anything, she is so laid back and fun. But my sister and I are still very respectful. She gives us so much freedom and privileges (one being my BlackBerry ) that I couldn't ask for anything more. I can't imagine her reading all my texts! Not that I have anything to hide, but that would just be insane of her. To read all 3,000 of them And I wonder if she would even know how to move a trackball.... Hmmmm... And in a totally off topic thing, she has a Palm Centro, and her screen NEVER gets scratched and she takes sh*t care of her phone! It's not fair! I baby mine to death and hers still looks better! Anyone know why those things are virtually impossible to scratch?
    04-12-09 06:35 PM
    I had a cell phone when I was 14 up to and including now. My mom knew who I spoke to, but I was expected to be responsible and not monitored (not a terrible idea, but a little too "helicopter parent" for me). I am still expected to be the same way today.
    04-12-09 06:38 PM

I love you!
    04-12-09 06:38 PM
    thats awesome! what grade is that?
    I'm in high school, my whole high school participates in this.

But the system we use has spread to middle schools too (and maybe elementary? I dont know..) and its truly a life saver when you forget what teacher assigned you homework and when that quiz is coming up.
    04-12-09 06:39 PM
198 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD