I had a Droid Razr M and made a terrible mistake: I read the TOS and privacy policies of all the apps needed to make the phone smart. They could, it said, know my location, read my email, record conversations take videos whether I was on the phone or not. Also, data downloaded was theirs to use with no compensation or attribution. Google would know all my contacts, who I called and who called me. There's lots more but let's pause here.

Does anyone know if BBRY does some or all of the same? I'd love to use a smartphone but not at the expense of giving away all of the data that keeps my small company running.
    07-17-13 08:39 PM
    I had a Droid Razr M and made a terrible mistake: I read the TOS and privacy policies of all the apps needed to make the phone smart. They could, it said, know my location, read my email, record conversations take videos whether I was on the phone or not. Also, data downloaded was theirs to use with no compensation or attribution. Google would know all my contacts, who I called and who called me. There's lots more but let's pause here.

Does anyone know if BBRY does some or all of the same? I'd love to use a smartphone but not at the expense of giving away all of the data that keeps my small company running.
    Have you looked at BBRY's policies of their BlackBerry Travel app? or their prediction services? I mean these practices are standard, just don't accept what you don't want to accept, in terms of the actual usage agreements, BlackBerry does an excellent job of notifying you and prompting you requesting your approval, much better than other systems in my opinion...

P.S. Now that "metadata" is a buzz word, please don't use it unless you know what it actually is
    07-17-13 08:43 PM
    I do know.
    07-17-13 08:57 PM
    Your issue is partly BlackBerry and partly carrier. The data side of your device is essentially beyond prying eyes.

Your phone calls and text messages go through your carrier (not the BBRY NOC) so that is indeed capture-able.
    07-17-13 09:07 PM
    Your issue is partly BlackBerry and partly carrier. The data side of your device is essentially beyond prying eyes.

Your phone calls and text messages go through your carrier (not the BBRY NOC) so that is indeed capture-able.
    I taught that on a non BES device, most data other than BBM was now "out in the open" on BB10 devices.

Posted via CB10
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    07-17-13 09:22 PM
    What app takes video whether you're on the phone or not? Many permissions make sense if you think about how they're used. Location services, for example. If you want apps that use GPS of course they need to know where you are. Same with apps that integrate your contacts, emails, etc. They require that if it's essential to the app's function. BB apps do a good job of separating the permissions. You can deny certain things, but with the understanding that a particular function might not work properly without them. Just because something asks for access to a certain feature doesn't equate to malicious intent. A little common sense goes a long way when downloading apps and granting permissions. If something seems fishy, don't use the app.
    07-17-13 09:23 PM
    I taught that on a non BES device, most data other than BBM was now "out in the open" on BB10 devices.
    Seriously? That I definitely missed
    07-17-13 09:27 PM
    The first notice from Google that caught my eye was their capture of my call log. Why, I wondered, does Google want that? It's obvious that Verizon would have it, but why Google?

Then is their taking my contact list... whether I wanted it on Google or not. Of course they also mention that if a person is on multiple Google owned sites and using aliases, then they would "correct" the false names and show the real name. Google would know the person's real name from the credit card on file for the Play Store.

If I were REALLY paranoid, the aluminum hat kind, then the fact that Google's Eric Schmidt has visited N Korea would have me drooling with apprehension and fear. Happily, I am not, at present, wearing aluminum foil. But it does make a guy nervous that the person who knows the comings and goings of some very large percentage of Americans (which most likely includes Congress, the Supreme Court, the military and law enforcement, medical personnel, ad infinitum) is visiting with a country who seems not to like us.

Apple and Microsoft seem to be in the same camp w Google so I keep hoping BBRY does not collect and store all the same data. And/or metadata.
    07-17-13 10:37 PM
    You're going to have to be more specific. What's capturing your call log? Who says they're getting the names from credit cards on file in Google Play? What's happening is it's just linking your contacts throughout accounts. It recognizes Joe Blow from your contacts, Facebook, Twitter, etc and links them. You'll see a friend's fb profile pic as they're pic in your contacts, for example.

Linking seems to be Google shtick in order to provide a tailored experience. For example say I'm watching a Muse video on YouTube. Google then might present me with an ad letting me know there's a Muse concert in my area and gives me the option to buy tickets. Basically trying to give me things I may want before I even know I want them, along with a convenient way to obtain them. Creepy and Big Brotherish? Yep. Effective and convenient? Yep. They see it as a win-win though. They know I like Muse so they let me know they're coming to town and they get my money.
    07-17-13 11:02 PM
    From an Android phone Google takes, copies, downloads the call log of incoming and outgoing calls. For what purpose they do not say.

Yes, there are folks who see benefits to all the co-ordination of information that Google does. There are also folks who think privacy trumps getting targeted ads. And there seem to be folks who think Google's intentions are right up there w Mother Theresa's. Others see Google as being able to teach the NSA a thing or two.

If someone wants all Google offers, fine. But please leave the rest of us alone. My business is just too important to me to gamble on the good intentions of Google. Or Apple, Microsoft, et al.

It occurs to me that my chain is being yanked. That's ok. But there does not seem to be anyone who can answer the question about the data gathering habits of BBRY.
    07-17-13 11:34 PM
    Sure, the obvious answer if you don't agree with what Google does is to not use Google services and not use Android devices. No one forces you to use them, so I don't get what the "please leave the rest of us alone" line refers to. You don't cite any sources or give any specific apps that ask for random permissions so I was just asking. It's late in the US and early in the UK so people that know more about the issue than I do are most likely in bed or just waking up.
    m1a1mg likes this.
    07-18-13 12:18 AM
    Also fwiw, in the backup and restore settings on Android devices you can check a box to opt out of Google backing up your settings, wifi accounts, etc which also erases any of that data that Google had stored from previous permissions.

I know it might just be me, but I'm not overly concerned with Google. Facebook, on the other hand, seems to be collecting information for the sake of collecting information, even things that one never knowingly gives them.
    m1a1mg likes this.
    07-18-13 12:31 AM
    Yes, a person could just avoid using smart phones or cell phones or telephones and all the privacy infringements are gone.
    For references please see Google's TOS and privacy policy. Especially for Google Chrome. Yes, there are other browsers but then advertised apps like voice transcription do not work.
    More later.
    07-18-13 07:04 AM
    From an Android phone Google takes, copies, downloads the call log of incoming and outgoing calls. For what purpose they do not say.

Yes, there are folks who see benefits to all the co-ordination of information that Google does. There are also folks who think privacy trumps getting targeted ads. And there seem to be folks who think Google's intentions are right up there w Mother Theresa's. Others see Google as being able to teach the NSA a thing or two.

If someone wants all Google offers, fine. But please leave the rest of us alone. My business is just too important to me to gamble on the good intentions of Google. Or Apple, Microsoft, et al.

It occurs to me that my chain is being yanked. That's ok. But there does not seem to be anyone who can answer the question about the data gathering habits of BBRY.
    Um, 'mother teresa' routinely denied people medical care so that they would understand god better. GTFO, lol.

If google has some kind of favorite contacts feature that may be a reason for the call logs.

Two points of advice:

1. Either don't do stuff online that you don't want tracked.
    Or,
    2. Be the guy the authorities waste resources on tracking, even though he's the distraction.

If you love privacy, and freedom pick one of those two.
    07-18-13 07:32 AM
    Sometimes, even educated, well read people make the decision to sign in to Google services. I used to be one of the people that ran from Google. But I've found that I like having availability of their services. It's a choice I willingly make.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-18-13 07:40 AM
    Yes, a person could just avoid using smart phones or cell phones or telephones and all the privacy infringements are gone.
    For references please see Google's TOS and privacy policy. Especially for Google Chrome. Yes, there are other browsers but then advertised apps like voice transcription do not work.
    More later.
    Voice transcription? Like voice search (Google Now) or voice typing (dictation)? Both of those are browser independent.
    07-18-13 07:47 AM
    When another browser was the default on my Droid Razr and voice typing was attempted, a message appeared that said something like 'Chrome must be default'. Maybe another android phone works differently?
    07-18-13 09:45 AM
    Seriously? That I definitely missed
    So without BES or BIS what makes sending an email any different on a BB than on another device? How is your internet traffic any different?

I don not know... just taught that was the big complaint with loosing BIS for general BB users.
    07-18-13 10:41 AM
    When another browser was the default on my Droid Razr and voice typing was attempted, a message appeared that said something like 'Chrome must be default'. Maybe another android phone works differently?
    Yeah they do. Admittedly I've never had a Moto Android device. I rarely use Chrome as my default browser (I usually use Firefox or Dolphin) and I've never seen that message.
    07-18-13 01:55 PM