View Poll Results: What do you make of the BBM delay?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3 weeks or more is a legit delay caused by the overloading of BBRY's servers.

2 5.71%
  • BBRY wasn't really ready for Sept 20th/21st and is making excuses to cover themselves.

23 65.71%
  • The timing of the delay and announcement of the Fairfax bid is almost too coincidental.

10 28.57%
    Three weeks going on four since the Sept 20th and 21st date for BBM Android/iOS and still no app yet.

I'm a BBRY fan deep down but I get the feeling that BBRY was never really ready to launch on Sept 20th/21st. It feels like they threw a date out in the open just to get interest then made up some BS about an unofficial app overloading their servers.

I'm sure they had every intention to launch on the confirmed dates but was just not ready at all and had to create an excuse to "get them off the hook". What makes me wonder is this: if BBRY is claiming that a million plus downloads in a single day was enough to overload their servers, then how ready were they really? I mean, was BBRY not hopeful/faithful enough in Android/iOS interest and BBRY just didn't foresee that kind of demand? Makes you think how "ready" BBRY really was... And that raises another question - can that download number of 1million+ be validated, or is BBRY just making up a number to show cross-platform demand for BBM and to also cover their asses?

So, I'd like to know, is it just me or do you feel like BlackBerry really wasn't ready for the launch date they promised and confirmed and is just making excuses?

If you have a tinfoil hat, then it wouldn't be hard to imagine that this cross platform BBM hype was done to inflate market prices, since shortly after BBRY made it clear that BBM was going to be further delayed, Fairfax announces a bid for the company. Hmm....
    Last edited by JR A; 10-13-13 at 01:34 PM.
    Mack Gans likes this.
    10-13-13 01:22 PM
    What i understand from my sources is the leaked version that was in android exposed a flaw in the server setup. They had 3.3 million downloads in 24 hrs. Last I heard was it was within a week from being ready and is in beta testing. He said they want it PERFECT!

Posted via CB10
    10-13-13 01:26 PM
    What i understand from my sources is the leaked version that was in android exposed a flaw in the server setup. They had 3.3 million downloads in 24 hrs. Last I heard was it was within a week from being ready and is in beta testing. He said they want it PERFECT!

Posted via CB10
    You bring up a good point.

However, if BBRY is claiming to have been overloaded due to 1-3 million downloads in a single day, then that just goes to show how "ready" they really were...

And that raises another question - can that download number of 1million+ be validated, or is BBRY just making up a number to show cross-platform demand for BBM and to also cover their asses?
    10-13-13 01:28 PM
    This has been discussed in other threads. Generally people think there are two explanations:

a.) xBBM was ready, but they pulled it in an attempt to defraud investors OR
    b.) Executives set a deadline of end of summer, and they just couldn't deliver.

I think it was B.
    amazinglygraceless and JR A like this.
    10-13-13 01:36 PM
    OP

Your post is a little too demeaning for my taste to entertain. Doesn't seem like you're a supporter of BlackBerry at all (the firm, employees, or the technology even). You lament BBM not coming over on other platforms on time. Whoo dee diddle doo buddy... add another excuse to belittle the company.

The edition that was "leaked" was a production/development version of course not completed. Why not spend the extra time to do it perfect it? What's the rush? Can't get your hands on any of their units?

Just want to exploit the their technology - leaving your &(&(*& at their doorstep. Nice.
    10-13-13 02:04 PM
    This has been discussed in other threads. Generally people think there are two explanations:

a.) xBBM was ready, but they pulled it in an attempt to defraud investors OR
    b.) Executives set a deadline of end of summer, and they just couldn't deliver.

I think it was B.
    I agree. B. The botched release was to show us that yes, they are actually close to accomplishing their goal without actually realeasing something that wasn't yet totally ready, or admitting that they'd missed their deadline.

And that has spun off into a dozen or so conspiracy theories.

The truth is out there. Happy 1013.

Posted via CB10
    JR A and Etios like this.
    10-13-13 02:23 PM
    I interpreted the various explanations to have said something like the bad beta client created bogus or inefficient request load on their servers equivalent to orders of magnitude more traffic than would have come from a well behaved client for some operations. So it's as if the 1 million bogus clients looked like 20-30 million users as far as the system was concerned. Whatever the operation was it out unusual stress on the system.

It's possible for this to happen with beta software, but it's really shortsighted of them to not have the ability to lock out older or bad client versions from communicating with their servers. That's really embarrassing and looks like amateur hour at the most crucial time when they needed good news to offset the disastrous financial results.

I think they have messed up everything possible to mess up and I wish there were a way that we could help then get their act together. Management and the board have to go.

Posted via CB10
    Mack Gans likes this.
    10-13-13 02:35 PM
    The leak BBM was good timing to hold off on release because the apps themselves were buggy and they still dont have the kinks worked out. That is my theory
    10-13-13 02:42 PM
    According to Kevin and Crackberry the leaked version had nothing to do with it being pulled. It was pulled because it was buggy and wasn't ready for launch. At least that's what they said in their podcast about it.
    Mack Gans likes this.
    10-13-13 02:51 PM
    There are over 50 different fake BBM apps floating around on google play right now. Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
    10-13-13 03:41 PM
    Are you forgetting about the working version on iOS?

Z10/10.2.0.1725
    10-13-13 03:54 PM
    Are you forgetting about the working version on iOS?

Z10/10.2.0.1725
    iOS, what's that?

Sorry, just had to make the jab. Honestly, I haven't paid attention to iOS, just Android, at least in regards to BBM.
    10-13-13 03:59 PM
    This is kind of like BlackBerry's restructuring cost. Originally stated as $100 million, suddenly balloons to $400 million.
    All available data pegged the number in that first 24 hours as 1 million, give or take
    OP

Your post is a little too demeaning for my taste to entertain.
    ... and yet you did

As to the issue of BBM cross platform, my personal and uninformed opinion is that there was a perfect storm of unfortunates: 1) the fake apps creating havoc and 2) The app itself not being quite ready for prime time.

What I do not think, again uninformed, is that there was a deliberate effort on the part of BlackBerry management to defraud anyone. THAT would require a level of forethought and planning that is completely uncharacteristic of BlackBerry these days,
    JR A, Creativeink72, ekv and 2 others like this.
    10-13-13 04:02 PM
    I think they weren't ready to launch and don't want a repeat of the fiasco this time around.
    10-13-13 04:30 PM
    As to the issue of BBM cross platform, my personal and uninformed opinion is that there was a perfect storm of unfortunates: 1) the fake apps creating havoc and 2) The app itself not being quite ready for prime time.
    How does a "fake" app make it onto the BBM servers to cause havoc???
    JR A likes this.
    10-13-13 04:34 PM
    Well if they weren't ready for the day they announced it, losing 4500 ppl ain't gonna help them make it ready anytime soon

Posted via CB10
    JR A likes this.
    10-13-13 08:40 PM
    And these guys want to drop hardware and do software/network only?

Not a good sign.

Posted via CB10 on my Verizon Z10. 10.2.0.1725
    JR A likes this.
    10-13-13 09:07 PM
    They couldn't even get bbm on their own playbook. Something they built and designed in house so i wouldnt hold my breath on them making one for another platform....

Posted via CB10
    JR A and Mack Gans like this.
    10-13-13 09:29 PM
    You bring up a good point.

However, if BBRY is claiming to have been overloaded due to 1-3 million downloads in a single day, then that just goes to show how "ready" they really were...

And that raises another question - can that download number of 1million+ be validated, or is BBRY just making up a number to show cross-platform demand for BBM and to also cover their asses?
    It was not due to overload it was the leaked version storing messages on the servers or something

Posted via CB10
    10-13-13 09:31 PM
    This is kind of like BlackBerry's restructuring cost. Originally stated as $100 million, suddenly balloons to $400 million.
    All available data pegged the number in that first 24 hours as 1 million, give or take

... and yet you did

What I do not think, again uninformed, is that there was a deliberate effort on the part of BlackBerry management to defraud anyone. THAT would require a level of forethought and planning that is completely uncharacteristic of BlackBerry these days,
    I LOL'ed pretty hard. Haha.
    10-13-13 11:02 PM

Posted via CB10
    They said the same thing about the BB10 launch.

Posted via CB10
    JR A and Rickroller like this.
    10-14-13 02:11 AM
    How does a "fake" app make it onto the BBM servers to cause havoc???
    It wasn't fake, it was probably the leaked version repackaged as a fake android app, fake but real.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-13 04:18 AM
    Well bbm for iphone works and it's getting better by day, send/ receive bbm have shorter delay/ just on time compared on sept, 4 groups with 80 pic always shared and updated by members with lot of comments run fine, sometime it will crash 1-3 times daily but always load again without problem.

So yea android playstore is to blame and if it was all ok on sept then i think this app will be updated several times already and most of the bugs sort out compared to go back into hiding again like now.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    10-14-13 04:33 AM
    Aah so this is the thread from where all the media gets their juice.. SMH..
    10-14-13 04:41 AM
    The simplest solution is the best - BBRY is an amateurish company lacking in strong leadership and a record of poor or spotty delivery that is currently undergoing a existential crisis and as a result staff morale must be through the floor - so it's ****-up rather than conspiracy.
    10-14-13 04:50 AM
42 12