BBM is all about communication. That may seem obvious.

But I think its superior to other platforms because its roots are in effective and efficient communication. Theres a reason they bring up the stat about how quickly BBM users respond to the message.

I think BB won't bring BBM to tablets because it bastardizes the quality of BBM as a communication service. Tablets will sit on the coffee table at home while your phone is much more likely to be on you.

Its the same reason BB has it so you can't opt-out of the delievered/read notifications. BBM is about communication and an active userbase is key.

Add to this the efficiency of BBs network (although its been put into question wether BBM uses the network on their new devices, although I haven't seen any info to back that up).

So I don't think it would be a good idea to put BBM on tablets. Unless its how they implemented it with the bridge. Thats genius and the way it should be. One device controlling your communication. I personally dont want my commincations going around to all the devices I have, its better for security and privacy and for more efficient communication. Also when I contact someone I prefer to know they got the message and its not just sitting unnoticed on their coffee table.
    05-19-13 11:07 PM
    BBM is all about communication. That may seem obvious.

But I think its superior to other platforms because its roots are in effective and efficient communication. Theres a reason they bring up the stat about how quickly BBM users respond to the message.

I think BB won't bring BBM to tablets because it bastardizes the quality of BBM as a communication service. Tablets will sit on the coffee table at home while your phone is much more likely to be on you.

Its the same reason BB has it so you can't opt-out of the delievered/read notifications. BBM is about communication and an active userbase is key.

Add to this the efficiency of BBs network (although its been put into question wether BBM uses the network on their new devices, although I haven't seen any info to back that up).

So I don't think it would be a good idea to put BBM on tablets. Unless its how they implemented it with the bridge. Thats genius and the way it should be. One device controlling your communication. I personally dont want my commincations going around to all the devices I have, its better for security and privacy and for more efficient communication. Also when I contact someone I prefer to know they got the message and its not just sitting unnoticed on their coffee table.
    Why does BBM on a tablet and a phone have to be mutually exclusive? iMessages and Skype for example can operate on multiple devices.

I would say that supporting tablets will actually make it more likely for the user to respond with the device currently in his/her hands or closest to him/her, be it a tablet or a phone.
    05-19-13 11:13 PM
    If they manage to make it compatible with both android and ios phone and tablets and still have nothing for their own PlayBook I will personally bash mine to pieces and mail the bits to BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 12:52 AM
    Why does BBM on a tablet and a phone have to be mutually exclusive? iMessages and Skype for example can operate on multiple devices.

I would say that supporting tablets will actually make it more likely for the user to respond with the device currently in his/her hands or closest to him/her, be it a tablet or a phone.
    Thought I made it clear in my post. Do you have both your phone and tablet on you at all times? Do you want messages showing up on a device thats not with you? Do you want phone calls going to your tablet?

But even if you always do thats okay. I'm speaking about things in general. There are always outliers. Having your mobile phone as the only native BBM device is smart and better for communication.

Multiple device per user BBM is bad for privacy/security/communication. Just like with BBM you can't opt-out of read/delivered I think its a bad idea to have do native BBM on non-personal mobile phone devices.
    05-20-13 01:02 AM
    If they manage to make it compatible with both android and ios phone and tablets and still have nothing for their own PlayBook I will personally bash mine to pieces and mail the bits to BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    Did you read anything?

Considering most believe the PB was DOA (despite selling over 200 thousand last quarter) I don't think anyone will care if you smash yours. The things people say on the internet are amazing.
    05-20-13 01:05 AM
    Do you have both your phone and tablet on you at all times?
    I usually have at least one of them with me. What is your point here?

Do you want messages showing up on a device thats not with you? Do you want phone calls going to your tablet?
    Oh well, if you don't want messages showing up on a device that's not with you, wouldn't you password-protect that device anyway? Or you can logout from/stop BBM. Just like you deal with your email. Or, better, simply not install it on your tablet.

Having your mobile phone as the only native BBM device is smart and better for communication.
    Why? Won't you have the option of not installing BBM on a tablet if you think the way you do? Nobody will force you to install it on your tablet I presume.

Multiple device per user BBM is bad for privacy/security/communication. Just like with BBM you can't opt-out of read/delivered I think its a bad idea to have do native BBM on non-personal mobile phone devices.
    Why? Won't you have the option of not installing BBM on a tablet if you think it's bad for privacy/security/communication?
    Last edited by bekkay; 05-20-13 at 01:31 AM.
    bp3dots likes this.
    05-20-13 01:15 AM
    I usually have at least one of them with me. What is your point here?

Oh well, if you don't want messages showing up on a device that's not with you, wouldn't you password-protect that device anyway? Or you can logout from/stop BBM. Just like you deal with your email. Or, better, simply not install it on your tablet.

Why? Won't you have the option of not installing BBM on a tablet if you think the way you do? Nobody will force you to install it on your tablet I presume.

Why? Won't you have the option of not installing BBM on a tablet if you think it's bad for privacy/security/communication?
    Posting with people like you is like smashing ones head against a wall. Its pretty much pointless and only causes pain.

You obviously don't get the concept. I'll try to elucidate it simply but I think I'll just have to come to terms with the fact that you don't understand.

Multiple devices introduces fragmentation of ones communication. It introduces redundancies and information being sent not to ones specific target.

No one ever said 'force you to install'. But its actually quite the opposite. Not being able to install is what I am talking about. Only your main mobile commuication carrier supported device. This streamlines things. Just like you dont have the option to opt-out of delievered/read.

The genius thing here is bridge and its potential future implementation after the initial release on the PB.

Whats this? Having whatever device you have in range becoming your secondary screen. You pick and choose if you want it displayed on that screen and have control over that due to proximity. This is genius. No randmon messages being sent to device which arnet near you, sitting their on your screen. No wasted time and questionable security with the cloud.

From your post and looking at what you responded to I'm pretty sure you arent able to get the message I am trying to convey so I'll leave it at that. Asking questions to each of my points shows that you don't get the big picture.

BB is about fast/efficient communication and putting BBM natively on tablets would be a bastardization of this. A bridge option would be ideal and is genius and BB has already shown us this.
    05-20-13 02:35 AM
    Posting with people like you is like smashing ones head against a wall. Its pretty much pointless and only causes pain.
    I am sorry for causing you pain and suffering. I was just trying to be helpful and point out the logical inconsistency in your argument. Again, I am sorry you took it so personally.

Anyway, I just don't understand how the ability to receive messages on multiple devices is "bastardization"/"fragmentation" of communication. It's not like you won't have the option of NOT installing it on multiple devices, if you, for some unfathomable reason, believe it is.

Also, as far as I remember, your argument is baseless at this point as BlackBerry didn't even give a slightest hint at a Bridge-like solution for iOS and Android. Let me know if I am missing something.

Furthermore, for some unknown reason, you assume that people keep their phones on them 24/7, but leave their tablets "on the coffee table at home". I am sorry, but you must be projecting your own usage to everybody else.
    bp3dots likes this.
    05-20-13 03:12 AM
    Multiple devices introduces fragmentation of ones communication. It introduces redundancies and information being sent not to ones specific target.
    How do you deal with email going to your computer, tablet, and phone? This is no different. The info is no more or less "fragmented."

This isn't a bastardization of anything, it's a continuation of how other communications work.
    bekkay likes this.
    05-20-13 03:29 AM