I work in the Gulf of Mexico, and there is no cell service out here. So I was going to use the wifi for BBM but it isnt working, I can use the browser to surf the web, but I cant get my emails or use BBM. My carrier is AT&t and I do have a data plan and everything works just fine when I am on land. I don't want to make calls or use text messages, and doing this worked fine on my Bold. When I try I my mobile network turned off and my wifi on. I've spent the last 4 hours scouring the internet to find a solution and nothing has worked so far. Any info would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by stumpygrimlen; 03-01-11 at 12:34 PM. Reason: added additional information
    03-01-11 12:25 PM
    register to the BIS maybe?
    03-01-11 12:32 PM
    Your phone should automatically connect to the BIS over WiFi.

Common reasons for this not happening are;

1) You do not have the correct WiFi transport service books on your phone (get AT&T to resend all service books)

2) You are infact on BES and your corporate IT policy does not allow WiFi BES Access

3) Your WiFi access point blocks communication to domains/ports that the BIS servers use or has partial access

4) Your WiFi setup is incorrect, either on the phone, or on the router.

Hope this little list can get you started !
    03-01-11 12:48 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I just have to wait to talk to one of our IT guys.
    03-02-11 05:25 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I just have to wait to talk to one of our IT guys.
    DangerMouse's post was spot on. do you have BES or BIS? when i was at my island house in SC, our local AT&T tower went down for an hour. i was connected to my home wifi and was still up and running on everything except cell based services (calls and SMS) so it should be working.
    03-03-11 12:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD