https://missingm.co/2014/02/avoid-bbm/

How could that happen ?

The only thing BBM could do better than WhatsApp is security. No one cares about BBM outside the BlackBerry community, so this would be a perfect selling point. They blew it. Now there is Threema, Telegram and what not (also not perfect. But something).

I don`t even know if i should recommend BBM to people anymore. Why should they change from WhatsApp, when there is no advatange ?

It`s just sad
    02-28-14 04:50 AM
    Security is an advantage.

Posted via CB10
    Fnen90 likes this.
    02-28-14 04:58 AM
    The information as stated in the article is misleading and incorrect.

Stating BBM is unsafe because it is closed source.

The encryption BBM uses is well known (SSL-tunneling / 3DES 168-bit encryption).

Furthermore the article states that the government of India has access to BBM communication and for that reason the platform Does not use end to end encryption. This also is a false claim.

BBM Does use end to end encryption but since BlackBerry holds the encryption key they are able to decrypt messages, but this doesn't change the fact that it is end-to-end encryption

The problem with the provider holding the encryption key is a problem all messaging Services face.

Unless you are able to generate you're own private and public key pair you wil never be 100% safe.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Dodger52; 02-28-14 at 06:36 AM.
    02-28-14 05:05 AM
    Why dig up old news for something that looks like nothing more than a blogger's attempt to plug a different messaging app?

Posted via CB10
    Icarus3000 likes this.
    02-28-14 05:06 AM
    The information as stated in the article is misleading and incorrect.

Stating BBM is unsafe because it is closed source.

The encryption BBM uses is well known (SSL-tunneling / 3DES 168-bit encryption).

Furthermore the article states that the government of India has access to BBM communication and for that reason the platform Does not use end to end encryption. This also is a false claim.

BBM Does use end to end encryption but since BlackBerry holds the encryption key they are able to decrypt messages, but this doesn't change the fact that it is end-to-end encryption

The problem with the provider holding the encryption key is a problem alle messaging Services face.

Unless you are able to generate you're own private and public key pair you wil never be 100% safe.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the informations. Does all this also apply to the Android/iOS Version ?
    02-28-14 05:15 AM
    Old news. But he/she is still right.

Why open source is regarded as better: People could check if the promised security features are actually implemented correctly and also check if there are some backdoors in the code.

RE: end-to-end encryption:
    No, it's not currently in BBM. If it was there there wouldn't be a reason to announce it as a coming feature of BBM Protected. But this will only come for business customers (eBBM) while other IMs offer it to anyone. So, there are more secure messengers out there, but they offer less other features compared to BBM (like the great group options, VoIP etc.).
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-28-14 05:16 AM
    Don't you recognise the contradiction in that statement? If anyone but the sender and the recipient has the key to decrypt the message it isn't end-to-end encryption.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/End-to-end_encryption

The problem with the provider holding the encryption key is a problem alle messaging Services face.
    Nope, Threema, Telegram (only in secure 1on1 chats) and TextSecure 2 offer E2EE among others. Of these, only TextSecure is open-source, though.
    02-28-14 05:46 AM
    Don't you recognise the contradiction in that statement? If anyone but the sender and the recipient has the key to decrypt the message it isn't end-to-end encryption.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/End-to-end_encryption

Nope, Threema, Telegram (only in secure 1on1 chats) and TextSecure 2 offer E2EE among others. Of these, only TextSecure is open-source, though.
    You're right, in part.

The public keys with threema seem to be stored on Threema's server(s).:
    http://blog.xot.nl/2014/02/23/someth...othing-really/
    Furthermore, as you have already stated, there is no way of verifying the integrity of whatever encryption method Threema uses.

For those of us using BlackBerry 10 devices you are able to encrypt you BBM messages privately using PGP:

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/47148895

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Dodger52; 02-28-14 at 10:22 AM.
    02-28-14 07:08 AM
    Close this thread please

Posted via CB10
    notafanboy likes this.
    02-28-14 07:22 AM
    A sad fact about the internet is that anyone can blog on anything and then some people take that blogging for the absolute truth and act on it...

Apparently there are so many users that are in dire need of a CIA or MI6 grade super encrypted, impossible to break IM services with which to share vacation pics, football scores and other information of critical importance for the survival of the human species. And they want that for free, and for any phone.

I'd say people watch too many movies...

? Q1O
    Last edited by Qurve; 02-28-14 at 08:25 AM.
    LudwigvonKast and DJRikko like this.
    02-28-14 08:06 AM
    Yeah. Close this Thread. Screw it. Who cares.
    02-28-14 08:35 AM
    The blogger is a little confused between BBM & emails. To me his integrity is ZERO. Time to close this thread.

Thanks B1aze.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-14 08:59 AM
    For those of us using BlackBerry 10 devices you are able to encrypt you BBM messages privately using PGP:
    Asus Transformer Book T100TA-DK002H Grijs - Prijzen - Tweakers
    Posted via CB10
    I guess you mean
    PGpgp - BlackBerry World
    PGpgp |pawelgorny.com|
    not the page with Asus Transformer Book?
    02-28-14 09:59 AM
    You're right.

I shouldn't be doing two things at the same time and/or move to fast.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-14 10:24 AM
    I'm just wondering about the calls to close this thread - am I missing something? Seems like the OP came across something that might be of interest to the CB community - I know I read the post from the link, as well as another post on the blog about secure IM's. I thought it was interesting, and we can't all be responsible for uncritical readers or thinkers! People will take what they will from any information you present them and allow them to review without you present to tell them what "everything means". It's like art - doesn't matter what you put in the song lyrics, you can't control the listener's interpretation of your lyrics once you release it. At best, you can only hope to lead that horse to the water!

Anyway. I talk too much sometimes.
    02-28-14 10:35 AM
    Interesting how that article was written a few days after Facebook bought WhatsApp. WhatsApp users, in fear of faceBook now invading their privacy (apart from letting NSA into Facebook already) and selling each users info/habits/etc to whoever is willing to pay for it, are now leaving the platform. One of the logical choices, for security reasons, is migrating to BBM (this is exactly what I'm currently doing - once I get all my friends to install BBM [waiting on Win 8 version], I'll be deleting WhatsApp from my z10). The article in question is trying to slander BBM. I'd be willing to bet that the author has close (probably monetary, even if indirectly) relationship with CrapBook. These is how companies compete these days. They pay bloggers to slander the competition. BB has been a victim of such campaigns for years now. Quite sad, actually. People who see through the BS, buy a BB. I'm one of them. Unfortunately for BB, most people believe the misinformation that they read, so they steer clear of BB in fear that it's doomed/bad-product/etc
    02-28-14 10:40 AM
    The guy who wrote article knows nothing. "If you are using BBM via your company’s BlackBerry Enterprise Server, then you might be OK." No you are not OK. you can log everything which includes clear text and date stamps of all conversations.
    02-28-14 10:54 AM
    Security is an advantage.

Posted via CB10
    People don't care about security.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-14 12:51 PM
    Close this thread please

Posted via CB10
    I agree. There is already another thread on the exact same topic

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...entest-909821/
    02-28-14 03:22 PM
    https://missingm.co/2014/02/avoid-bbm/

How could that happen ?

The only thing BBM could do better than WhatsApp is security. No one cares about BBM outside the BlackBerry community, so this would be a perfect selling point. They blew it. Now there is Threema, Telegram and what not (also not perfect. But something).

I don`t even know if i should recommend BBM to people anymore. Why should they change from WhatsApp, when there is no advatange ?

It`s just sad
    So don't use it or recommend it. I'm sure BBM will survive.

Posted using my Z10
    02-28-14 06:57 PM
    Who the hell cares about media lovers!? BBM is the most secure messenger on the planet, period. Close this thread.

Posted via CB10
    Loc22 likes this.
    02-28-14 10:36 PM
    Question, if one disagrees with the blog, or finds it an issue, is it wisdom to spread his message by garnering hits he'd otherwise not get? Sometimes, we're our own worst enemy.
    02-28-14 11:06 PM