Apparently, apple released some information about their messaging security. I was wondering how does iMessage compare security wise to BBM.

The article:
    Apple Explains Exactly How Secure iMessage Really Is | TechCrunch

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by GSM-S; 02-28-14 at 07:35 PM.
    02-28-14 07:25 PM
    In india there is whatsuo trend

BHiNDER
    02-28-14 08:58 PM
    Unless things have changed, BBM messages aren't securely encrypted when sent outside of a BES. It does not use a public/private key setup like iMessage, but rather uses a shared public key available to all Blackberry (BBM?) devices. Not as secure, but you'd still need to intercept the message and redirect to another BB device in order to unscramble it.

http://www.berryreview.com/2010/08/0...not-encrypted/
    02-28-14 09:52 PM
    Lmfao apple and security.....please you are killing me. I wouldn't used the most outdated OS and the most outdated smartphones made by apple. Even WP beats the outdated iPhone by a wide margin and those who know me know I hate WP.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-14 11:04 PM
    Lmfao apple and security.....please you are killing me. I wouldn't used the most outdated OS and the most outdated smartphones made by apple. Even WP beats the outdated iPhone by a wide margin and those who know me know I hate WP.

Posted via CB10
    That's not a very smart post.

iOS isn't outdated. BBOS7 is outdated. Windows 98 is outdated. A Silvia S12 is outdated.

iOS is still up to date with all of the Web 3.0 needs along with the constant updated with Cocoa.
    02-28-14 11:15 PM
    He couldn't post a smart post, cause he doesn't know enough about security and encryption to be able to comment intelligently on it.

Security-vise iMessage is safer than BBM, unless you have a BES, in which case BBM may be safer.

If security is your first and only consideration however, neither an iPhone nor Blackberry are good enough or secure enough. A better and more secure solution might be something like Sectra Edge, which is the only phone secure enough to be used in the White House, or GSMK Cryptophone, which is a European device. (Sectra is owned by GE).
    02-28-14 11:58 PM
    One of the most problematic issues iMessage faces is group messaging iPhones and androids and blackberries at once...

iPhones will receive the message but blackberry and android group members will not receive the message. The reason for this inconsistent and troublesome communication issue that can cause a multitude of lost revenue for businesses and individuals is that iMessage servers have difficulty exchanging messages at one time with encryption and non-encryption via SMS to non-iMessage devices. This iOS situation can be critical to businesses, organizations and individuals.

What is the alternative?

Quite simply the use of the BBM app with blackberry, iOS, Android and soon WP devices at once is logical and business smart. Information is secure & private. Transfers fast to each device owner. There are no critical messages lost. And, no lost messages, no miscommunication, no lost revenue.

The Cross-platform BBM app has a great advantage over iMessage.
    GSM-S likes this.
    03-01-14 11:36 PM
    03-02-14 05:01 AM
    One of the most problematic issues iMessage faces is group messaging iPhones and androids and blackberries at once...

iPhones will receive the message but blackberry and android group members will not receive the message. The reason for this inconsistent and troublesome communication issue that can cause a multitude of lost revenue for businesses and individuals is that iMessage servers have difficulty exchanging messages at one time with encryption and non-encryption via SMS to non-iMessage devices. This iOS situation can be critical to businesses, organizations and individuals.

What is the alternative?

Quite simply the use of the BBM app with blackberry, iOS, Android and soon WP devices at once is logical and business smart. Information is secure & private. Transfers fast to each device owner. There are no critical messages lost. And, no lost messages, no miscommunication, no lost revenue.

Interesting.

Any links on this?
    03-02-14 06:21 AM
    I send group messages and have no problems with it. iMessage doesn't usually even work when there is a person on a different platform in the group and it will just send as a normal group text.
    tack likes this.
    03-02-14 07:57 AM
    "...Sectra Edge, which is the only phone secure enough to be used in the White House"

No. Obama still has a BlackBerry, as does every member of Congress (as their work phones). It's not accurate to place iPhone and BlackBerry in the same league where security is concerned. Only BlackBerry has strong firmware-level encryption, which is part of the reason why it's still the only device with ATO certification on DoD networks.

IMessage may be encrypted, but I think it's also stored on an Apple server, and the universal BBM key is only half the key - the device pin is the other half. I like that my BBMs can only be read on my device. The fact that you can read iMessages on multiple devices makes it, de facto, less secure.
    tmf06 likes this.
    03-02-14 08:29 AM
    I was told if I send. PIN 2 PIN message vs a BBM message , if both parties who read and then delete the PIN 2 PIN Message the message will be permanently deleted ?

Any insights ?

Also, why would Private bankers and others still use PIN 2 PIN Messages ?

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 08:57 AM
    I was told if I send. PIN 2 PIN message vs a BBM message , if both parties who read and then delete the PIN 2 PIN Message the message will be permanently deleted ?

Any insights ?

Also, why would Private bankers and others still use PIN 2 PIN Messages ?

Posted via CB10
    Here is a thorough explanation of pin to pin BIS and BES from CSEC... " Security of BlackBerry PIN-to-PIN Messaging"

http://www.cse-cst.gc.ca/its-sti/pub...sb57b-eng.html
    GSM-S likes this.
    03-02-14 10:49 AM
    The problem I have with iMessage is that I need an iPhone to use it. That's a non-starter right there.
    03-02-14 11:44 AM
    The problem I have with iMessage is that I need an iPhone to use it. That's a non-starter right there.
    I totally agree. BBM.com used smart business sense to built cross-platform.
    03-02-14 11:59 AM
    Any iOS device running iOS 5.0 or later actually.
    03-02-14 11:59 AM
    Interesting.

Any links on this?
    Thankfully BBM does not have this issue.

Here are some links explaining group iMessage issues to non-iPhone consumers...

http://ask.metafilter.com/250450/Why...g-from-iPhones

https://discussions.apple.com/message/24323336#24323336
    03-02-14 12:17 PM
    Any iOS device running iOS 5.0 or later actually.
    And OS X 10.8 +. Is nice to be able to hop easily between phone/tab/computer.

Software on PCs is one area of improvement that BlackBerry could really benefit from. They've never executed well here in the past but seamless cross-platform applications for managing CE content is a glaringly unserved area. BlackBerry and Google don't have entrenched PC territory to guard as MS and Apple do so they have freedom of thought here, and of the two BBRY seems more suited than Google to develop a better business model.
    tack likes this.
    03-02-14 12:31 PM
    Not sure how one can consider iMessage secure if a message can be automatically routed to SMS if iMessage fails.

Posted via CB10
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    03-02-14 12:34 PM
    Not sure how one can consider iMessage secure if a message can be automatically routed to SMS if iMessage fails.

Posted via CB10
    Only if a user chooses to, it's an option, not a requirement to use iMessage.
    03-02-14 01:17 PM
    I make extensive use of cross-platform BBM on my iPhone. In my opinion, it is by far the best cross-platform messaging app.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    03-02-14 01:25 PM
    Only if a user chooses to, it's an option, not a requirement to use iMessage.
    Yeah I know it's an option to use iMessage. But is there an option to use iMessage only?

My understanding was that when iMessage fails, the message is automatically rerouted to SMS (for example... no data connection)

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 02:03 PM
    Yeah I know it's an option to use iMessage. But is there an option to use iMessage only?

My understanding was that when iMessage fails, the message is automatically rerouted to SMS (for example... no data connection)

Posted via CB10
    Your understanding is incorrect.
    Under iMessage settings, there is a toggle to Send as SMS when iMessage is unavailable.
    If you leave this off (it's off by default I believe) your iMessages will never be sent as SMS.
    tack likes this.
    03-02-14 02:11 PM
    Your understanding is incorrect.
    Under iMessage settings, there is a toggle to Send as SMS when iMessage is unavailable.
    If you leave this off (it's off by default I believe) your iMessages will never be sent as SMS.
    That is correct. But, by default iMessage is set to send and receive iMessages and SMS/MMS.
    03-02-14 03:48 PM
    Thanks, mine is turned off, but wasn't sure if that was the default or not.
    03-02-14 04:02 PM
31 12