Realistically what do you guys think are tha chances are that BBM can compete with the likes of these major social media players? What pros and cons do you all think that BlackBerry will face?

I think it will have to be free for at least a year or so to gain popularity, which is key. After that I think it could be an all in one social media player. Here's how I think they compare.

Whatsapp: I think it will be strong enough to outperform Whatsapp and in essence kill them.
    Skype: I hope once they add video, it can overtake Skype for video conferencing etc.
    Twitter: Too different right now but maybe in a few years BBM channels will be able to rival twitter.
    Facebook: Same as twitter but more difficult to replicate.

I'm just an average Joe but I'm excited to see how this all plays out. Here in Canada I'm surprised at the excitement for BBM and I think BlackBerry is far from dead.

Go Jets go!
    10-22-13 01:02 PM
    Ok, here we go!
    Realistically what do you guys think are tha chances are that BBM can compete with the likes of these major social media players? What pros and cons do you all think that BlackBerry will face?

Yes. I think it has every change to be staged as a major IM. Reasons? Reliable notifications for one. You can always tell when somebody has seen your messages. Facebook is a hot mess on this area and Skype does not have such capability whatsoever. Don't bring Whatsapp into it, sjut don't (lol). Groups are also a step up from what other services offer. We also have to keep in mind that what we're seeing now is basically BB5. It's the original feature set. By the time iOS/Android (WP8?) catch up woth BB10, no other IM will have such a powerful feature set. Only problem here is: Can BlackBerry do it in less than 6 months to keep momentum?

I think it will have to be free for at least a year or so to gain popularity, which is key. After that I think it could be an all in one social media player. Here's how I think they compare.

It is free. There were never any indications it would become paid.

Whatsapp: I think it will be strong enough to outperform Whatsapp and in essence kill them.
    "MSN" was still in use. There are even people on ICQ to this day. Kill is too much. They can coexist. But BBM is better. Period.

Skype: I hope once they add video, it can overtake Skype for video conferencing etc.
    BBM can't do conferences. As of now, you call one person at a time. Skype can have multiple people (like Hangouts). On top of that, Skype can call landlines/mobiles if you pay for that.

Twitter: Too different right now but maybe in a few years BBM channels will be able to rival twitter.
    Right. I just can't see twitter as Instant Messaging. It is a very different service and even their upcoming IM client should not change that....

Facebook: Same as twitter but more difficult to replicate.
    Not really. BBM beats Facebook Messenger handsdown and Channels does not mean to be a new Facebook.

I'm just an average Joe but I'm excited to see how this all plays out. Here in Canada I'm surprised at the excitement for BBM and I think BlackBerry is far from dead.
    The average Joe is who BlackBerry has to lure, so your feedback is maybe more important then the general experts'.

Go Jets go!
    The one problem they will have, as I am having to fight it myself, is convincing people that BBM is a better alternative than Whatsapp. People already use Whatsapp (of whatever they prefer). I used every argument under the heaver and some just won't budge.

Why? People don't like change. It doesn't matter if it's for the better. "Why fix what's not broken?".

Of course, when they finally get to the point that all features we see in BB10 reach cross platform, it will be VERY hard to dismiss BBM.

On a sidenote, you forgot Google Hangouts.
    Last edited by diegonei; 10-22-13 at 01:22 PM.
    10-22-13 01:11 PM
    Good point! I'm just a dillusional stock holder but I see a ton of upside here, if they can bring it to the masses and monetize it the same way as Facebook or Twitter with ads.

Go Jets go!
    10-22-13 01:35 PM
    Mayb down the line but right now, I don't think there is a big argument u can make that bbm is hands down better than whatsapp. Now when cross platform bbm gets voice and video, yes then I believe the argument will be able to be made.

Skype, I doubt it cause I don't see bbm getting video conferencing anytime soon lol.

I don't think it needs to kill Facebook or Twitter nor do I think it ever could...but if BlackBerry does it correctly, BBM could easily become the best mobile social network

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 02:59 PM
    That being said I still think BBM is the most well rounded of the bunch. Can it possibly become more popular than all of them?

Go Jets go!
    10-22-13 03:35 PM
    That being said I still think BBM is the most well rounded of the bunch. Can it possibly become more popular than all of them?

Go Jets go!
    No. It isn't. Skype, WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, Hangouts, are all better Messaging Apps on Android, iOS, and Windows Phone (the ones that exist).

Skype, Facebook Messenger, and Hangouts also are available outside of a smartphone.

I find it hard to believe people actually believe BBM is as good as it is, given how much of its advantage has been pretty much eroded over the years.

It's a shame. If BB had done this 2-3 years ago there would be no competition and they probably would have been able to charge $10 for it like Beejive did for their multi-protocol IM app and rake in quite a lot of cash. They kinda blew it.

Channels will not be competitive with Facebook, Google+, or Twitter.

It will be hard to usurp the major players in the IM field. BBM is rather niche now. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
    10-22-13 04:01 PM

Go Jets go!
    More popular lol....u do realize how many users Facebook alone has right?
    10-22-13 04:19 PM
    Good point! I'm just a dillusional stock holder but I see a ton of upside here, if they can bring it to the masses and monetize it the same way as Facebook or Twitter with ads.

Go Jets go!
    Then we both are dillusional, for I agree it is the best of the bunch. When it comes to MOBILE communications.

Problem is a good bunch of the others have desktop interfaces. BBM has to jump on that (and I mean a proper destop client, not a "bridge-like" solution) if it wants to beat the competition.

I find it hard to believe people actually believe BBM is as good as it is, given how much of its advantage has been pretty much eroded over the years.
    Funny. Chief Editors of iMore and Android Central seem to agree with us.
    10-22-13 04:23 PM
    I just downloaded bbm for android and i don't like it so far. I hate that when i open it up when i get a new message, the keyboard automatically opens. While the keyboard is open, i can only read like 4 lines of text because the bar that has attachments and send button above the keyboard is so huge. Let me read what was sent, maybe i don't want to reply.

I've used skype, i think it is terrible for mobile, great for pc. I have whatsapp, right now, it is much better on android then bbm for android. I don't use facebook and twitter.

Another annoying thing about bbm is the bbm icon is always in the notification bar at the top, that would be fine, but a second bbm icon pops up when i get a message, why have two bbm icons.
    10-22-13 04:30 PM
    I just downloaded bbm for android and i don't like it so far. I hate that when i open it up when i get a new message, the keyboard automatically opens. While the keyboard is open, i can only read like 4 lines of text because the bar that has attachments and send button above the keyboard is so huge. Let me read what was sent, maybe i don't want to reply.

I've used skype, i think it is terrible for mobile, great for pc. I have whatsapp, right now, it is much better on android then bbm for android. I don't use facebook and twitter.

Another annoying thing about bbm is the bbm icon is always in the notification bar at the top, that would be fine, but a second bbm icon pops up when i get a message, why have two bbm icons.
    One thing I hate for whatsapp is I don't want it to tie with my phone number it is bull**** that when I change my phone number I can't bring my old message to the new number cry

Post via BlackBerry z10 Crackberry App
    10-22-13 06:04 PM
    Sorry to revive an old thread but...

How does BBM Channels stack up against Facebbok currently?
    Pros and cons.
    I think it's a great platform but nobody knows about it vs the others.
    Last edited by dawey1; 05-09-16 at 08:05 PM.
    05-09-16 09:40 AM
    IMO, BBM is the best orchestrated app of the bunch...superior in terms of design and function (nothwithstanding conferencing). However, as BB arbitrarily provides access to all user BBM communications to the RCMP and de facto every other governmental LEA in the world without just cause...I now say use BBM when hell freezes over! JMHO...

posted via mobile device
    05-09-16 12:10 PM
    I just downloaded bbm for android and i don't like it so far.
    Because you do not know, yet, what it can do! Check out timed messages, HD pic capability, Glympse, retractable messages, editing a sent message, private chat, sharing what music you are listening to etc. I am not mentioning things like message delivery confirmation that BBM has had for years before Whatsapp et al finally got it.

BB, Still the One
    05-09-16 05:57 PM
    I was under the impression that  was only providing access to the messages for those IM that were under court order to have them released for criminal reasons. Could someone please clarify.
    05-09-16 08:10 PM
    I'm looking for a cross platform chat client that can work on multiple devices concurrently.

Basically, I'm looking for an imessage replacement on a blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-16 09:34 PM
    No, they provides the key that allows access to all messages. Leaving the matter up to the discretion of LE as to which communique would be looked at, which resulted in full access. Is this still the case? BB has not issued any statement that would suggest otherwise.

posted via mobile device
    05-09-16 10:39 PM
    No, they provides the key that allows access to all messages. Leaving the matter up to the discretion of LE as to which communique would be looked at, which resulted in full access. Is this still the case? BB has not issued any statement that would suggest otherwise.

posted via mobile device
    I did some digging and found out that that the RCMP had access to Legacy devices for pin to pin messages only. Nothing on today's BBM which is why I choose it for communication.
    It's the safest and easiest cross platform IM I my opinion.

You can read the article here:

The Truth About Canadian Police Obtaining BlackBerry?s Decryption Key
    05-10-16 06:32 AM