I think this is huge! Assuming it is part of the BlackBerry service and BBM, them theorectically it wouldn't use your data plan. Correct me if I'm wrong.

See picture of settings:
    BBM Voice on BB10 over mobile network-bbm-calls-blackberry-10.jpg

Source: N4BB

UPDATE:
    OK here is my reasoning proof that BBM is not charged on my data plan.

As per Rogers agreement details blah blah blah:

Includes unlimited social networking on Facebook, Twitter and MySpace applications and unlimited instant messaging including BlackBerry Messenger, Windows Live Messenger, Google Talk and Yahoo! Messenger applications (as developed by Research In Motion only) with a BlackBerry device on the Rogers network.

Now the question is:
    Is BBM Voice considered "Unlimited instant messaging including BlackBerry Messenger"? It is BBM but is not "exactly" instant messaging.

And let the conversations go on...... Is BBM and BBM Voice "free" or does it accumumlate in the data usage?

Brian
    Last edited by brian4591; 01-28-13 at 07:13 PM. Reason: UPDATED
    01-25-13 08:42 PM
    Boom Boom!
    brian4591 likes this.
    01-25-13 08:49 PM
    Huh?

It will still count against your data usage unless you're on Wifi...just like everything else you do on a BlackBerry.
    01-25-13 08:57 PM
    I am confused about this....
    Reading the screenshot it shows an option to be used over mobile networks.
    I've also read the same thing the OP mentioned about the possibility of these calls not utilizing a data plan.
    How is that possible? The mobile network is carrier controlled, correct?
    So, wouldn't this be the equivalent of Tethering or HotSpot?
    Meaning, that this would be carrier controlled and not just "there" for using by anyone at anytime?

EDIT: Also be charged for use as normal mobile networks do as previously posted.
    01-25-13 08:59 PM
    I *would* want it to use my data plan when I'm not ina wifi zone so I can do it anywhere...
    01-25-13 09:02 PM
    Wooohoooo! But I doubt the carriers would allow it.
    01-25-13 09:04 PM
    K, as far as I know. Blackberry has their own service that we pay for as part of our cellular plans. This data service is not accumulated in our cellular providers data plans. It is a unlimited BlackBerry data plan. So transfering pictures and other things over BBM is "FREE". But you will need at BlackBerry service for this to work which is part of cellular data plans. If BBM works then you have blackberry service.

So in sense if BBM voice goes through mobile network "BlackBerry" plan then it is unlimited. Currently BBM Voice is over Wifi only which is free when you have wifi.

Hope that makes sense. LOL
    01-25-13 09:06 PM
    Wooohoooo! But I doubt the carriers would allow it.
    That I think is the big question..............
    01-25-13 09:07 PM
    I'm not sure about the rest of you but in Canada I'm pretty sure any BBMing counts against your data plan so carriers here shouldn't really care. If in other parts of the world BBMing doesn't affect data usage, I could see carriers trying to limit it.

Adding to this rumour, it is my understanding that it will work over 3G eventually too.
    01-25-13 09:13 PM
    I'm not sure about the rest of you but in Canada I'm pretty sure any BBMing counts against your data plan so carriers here shouldn't really care. If in other parts of the world BBMing doesn't affect data usage, I could see carriers trying to limit it.

Adding to this rumour, it is my understanding that it will work over 3G eventually too.
    Pretty sure everything over BBM is no data cost in Canada. You just have to have a BlackBerry service plan which as I stated above, if BBM works then you have a BlackBerry service plan.

Correct me if I am wrong but this is how I have always known it and have known this as a big "Perk" of blackberries. I also believe that if you send an email to a PIN (Pin to PIN) message then there will be no data use on that as well.

Brian
    01-25-13 09:21 PM
    Pretty sure everything over BBM is no data cost in Canada. You just have to have a BlackBerry service plan which as I stated above, if BBM works then you have a BlackBerry service plan.

Correct me if I am wrong but this is how I have always known it and have known this as a big "Perk" of blackberries. I also believe that if you send an email to a PIN (Pin to PIN) message then there will be no data use on that as well.

Brian
    That would be news to me. Any other opinions?
    01-25-13 09:24 PM
    Here's an example:

My sister had a BlackBerry Curve through Bell Mobility Canada. She had no data plan attached. But she had unlimited BBM and PIN to PIN. Her bill would show up as no data used as she had a zero data plan. Yes I know, "why would someone have no data with a BlackBerry?" She was cheap, lol and has since added a data plan and uses her phones to their full potential.

Really wish someone would enlighten us a little better on this whole thing. Maybe I'll go crazy on BBM this month send millions of pictures and other PIN to PIN messages and see if my data usage increases, LOL.

Someone must know for sure..........
    flyingsolid likes this.
    01-25-13 09:53 PM
    Here's an example:

My sister had a BlackBerry Curve through Bell Mobility Canada. She had no data plan attached. But she had unlimited BBM and PIN to PIN. Her bill would show up as no data used as she had a zero data plan. Yes I know, "why would someone have no data with a BlackBerry?" She was cheap, lol and has since added a data plan and uses her phones to their full potential.

Really wish someone would enlighten us a little better on this whole thing. Maybe I'll go crazy on BBM this month send millions of pictures and other PIN to PIN messages and see if my data usage increases, LOL.

Someone must know for sure..........
    Having unlimited BBM is a data plan, just as you would say, a cheap one.
    01-25-13 10:03 PM
    If it uses 3g/4g/lte service to.use BBM then it will go against your data plan usage as it will be using data from your plan, yeah sure you may have a BIS plan but that
    is for email and so forth, but BBM as of now only works over wifi so no data being used as like a VOIP service does. Now if used over mobile network it will go against your data.

It would be a nice addition as many like to use BBM while they are out on the go.

Me i don't have a BB phone that i use, but i do have a old BB Bold 9000 again i don't use.

Look in my signature for my phones and i use Samsung Galaxy S3 i have unlimited texting nationwide and also International is too unlimited texting so why do i need BBM like millions of others don't either.

There is an app i use over wifi on my iphone 4 called TextPlus its free unlimited texting over wifi i don't have that phone hooked up for service, but i let my son use it for texting.

Point being many ppl don't need BBM as many have unlimited texting or use apps like TextPlus which is awesome.

I also have unlimited nationwide calling incoming and out going again no need for BBM
    01-25-13 10:17 PM
    If it uses 3g/4g/lte service to.use BBM then it will go against your data plan usage as it will be using data from your plan, yeah sure you may have a BIS plan but that
    is for email and so forth, but BBM as of now only works over wifi so no data being used as like a VOIP service does. Now if used over mobile network it will go against your data.

It would be a nice addition as many like to use BBM while they are out on the go.

Me i don't have a BB phone that i use, but i do have a old BB Bold 9000 again i don't use.

Look in my signature for my phones and i use Samsung Galaxy S3 i have unlimited texting nationwide and also International is too unlimited texting so why do i need BBM like millions of others don't either.

There is an app i use over wifi on my iphone 4 called TextPlus its free unlimited texting over wifi i don't have that phone hooked up for service, but i let my son use it for texting.

Point being many ppl don't need BBM as many have unlimited texting or use apps like TextPlus which is awesome.

I also have unlimited nationwide calling incoming and out going again no need for BBM
    Ok, you might have unlimited international sms but do your international friends also have unlimited international sms?

BBM is more then sms/IM client, it's a social network in its own rights.
    01-26-13 03:53 AM
    Hi everyone
    I am from australia and the way it works hear is when you get a bb is you have two set of data your unlimeted bis or bes bb data plan and then the same carrer alowed data plan that is the same as what all other phones use for data. Now everything thing on my phone that I do every app if it needs internet uses bis data tha bbm, browsing , streaming youtube vides the works all on unlimited bis! Even with blackberry bridge!! ( The only exception is one or two apps like pandora and tunein radio that requrie carrier api witch you know it is useing that data cos you have to munally set it!!). Now I should point out that in some of the fine print it says youtube and video streaming is not included in unlimeted bis but it has never seen it show up on my bill!! So the only real time I use the carrer alowed data is when you set up bluethooth theter or use wifi hotspot (if you are on os7.1).
    So I think that is what the op may have ment by not counted on data plan. At least that what I think will happen in australia if this is correct. It will show how much bis data is being used but no charge as it is unlimeted!! And my carryer data will still be unefected by the use of bbm voice!!
    01-26-13 06:32 AM
    F*** skype
    01-26-13 06:48 AM
    I have 2 points.

I am not saying this is false but it would seem fair easy to make that image in Photoshop.

Remember Heins said that they will be changing their service revenue model. This could be what he was talking about. How about allowing carriers to create unlimited BBM voice data plans just like the unlimited BBM plans currently available in Canada? This would be most useful for overseas voice calls.
    01-26-13 08:01 AM
    Hi everyone
    I am from australia and the way it works hear is when you get a bb is you have two set of data your unlimeted bis or bes bb data plan and then the same carrer alowed data plan that is the same as what all other phones use for data. Now everything thing on my phone that I do every app if it needs internet uses bis data tha bbm, browsing , streaming youtube vides the works all on unlimited bis! Even with blackberry bridge!! ( The only exception is one or two apps like pandora and tunein radio that requrie carrier api witch you know it is useing that data cos you have to munally set it!!). Now I should point out that in some of the fine print it says youtube and video streaming is not included in unlimeted bis but it has never seen it show up on my bill!! So the only real time I use the carrer alowed data is when you set up bluethooth theter or use wifi hotspot (if you are on os7.1).
    So I think that is what the op may have ment by not counted on data plan. At least that what I think will happen in australia if this is correct. It will show how much bis data is being used but no charge as it is unlimited!! And my carrier data will still be unefected by the use of bbm voice!!
    so just like yours in the 3 countries i have lived ... ur bis plan is a single plan that accounts for all the data u use on ur phone, except apps like nobex and pandora which u have to get the normal(50-200mb-2gb...etc) a month data package for, ever other thing is accounted for under your monthly BIS subscription, which is a fixed amount( India-Rs399, SA, R60, NGN, N3000).. regardless of how much data u actually consume. so if the bbm calling is going to go through the bis plan as it is now, that would be super awesome, ....but like mentioned earlier, i don't think the carriers will allow it , because then there would be no need for me to buy minutes ........
    brian4591 likes this.
    01-26-13 08:09 AM
    Ok, you might have unlimited international sms but do your international friends also have unlimited international sms?

BBM is more then sms/IM client, it's a social network in its own rights.
    No they do not have unlimited international texting, but thats not my problem really.

Point i am making is for 16.00 a month you can have such a plan unlimited nationwide and unlimited international texting This is from Rogers.

I actually got the plan for Free due to other circumstances, but that does not mean millions of others can't have such a plan and maybe some get it free or best get it for 50% off or better.

So why or even care about BBM yes sure many use it and have many ppl on it, but your paying for it so why not get a plan like mine for cheaper or same price as your paying for Bis plan or what have you and then you have unlimited international textig too along with unlimited nationwide texting.
    01-26-13 09:31 PM
    No they do not have unlimited international texting, but thats not my problem really.
    id actually consider it is your problem, as others wont be able to/want to contact you due to price, and that could mean you miss out on something.

also sms is limited, BBM (much like other chat clients) has the ability to send long messages, images voicenotes videos etc, do that with ya ultd sms lol
    01-26-13 09:39 PM
    id actually consider it is your problem, as others wont be able to/want to contact you due to price, and that could mean you miss out on something.

also sms is limited, BBM (much like other chat clients) has the ability to send long messages, images voicenotes videos etc, do that with ya ultd sms lol
    Lol there is texting apps that allow way more then the standard character count so i send long texts np's

And if my relatives are too cheap to get unlimited international text ...... There is Email lmao they respond back that way when i text them

I can send images/videos too np's and voice notes just use attachment option.

So again you don't need BBM
    01-26-13 09:54 PM
    Lol there is texting apps that allow way more then the standard character count so i send long texts np's

And if my relatives are too cheap to get unlimited international text ...... There is Email lmao they respond back that way when i text them

I can send images/videos too np's and voice notes just use attachment option.

So again you don't need BBM
    You are losing a hopeless argument.
    T-Raww, RECOOL and Goint like this.
    01-26-13 10:15 PM
    You are losing a hopeless argument.
    Totally agree!!!
    01-27-13 07:07 AM
    BBM Voice Call over mobile network = gonna rape that call button
    brian4591 likes this.
    01-27-13 08:50 AM
31 12