John Chen "Pay ads free per month! I want to make money for Blackberry. Stop complaining!"

Lol
    04-07-15 03:14 PM
    We paid for blackberries, we shouldn't need to pay more to not be spammed.
    People paid for Androids yet they are bombarded with Ads, are Ads spam? People paid for their laptop yet almost every webpage has Ads. People paid for a lot of devices yet get Ads. I get Ads in my outlook.com email unless I want to pay for it or use an Ad blocker. I guess if people don't like they can quit using it and find an Ad free device. Good luck with that.

Seems people can't ignore a dumb spark they know is an Ad and it ruins their life. I could live without them also but it doesn't drive me insane.
    habs_fan and koolaje like this.
    04-07-15 03:27 PM
    If people can afford to eat out, they can afford to tip their servers. The expensive food you paid for already includes the services but people still tip for the great service. If you don't have a problem with tipping then giving BlackBerry developers a dollar a month for creating a wonderful communication app is no sweat compared to a $5 to $20 tip at restaurants.

We paid for blackberries, we shouldn't need to pay more to not be spammed.
    04-07-15 03:29 PM
    People paid for Androids yet they are bombarded with Ads, are Ads spam? People paid for their laptop yet almost every webpage has Ads. People paid for a lot of devices yet get Ads. I get Ads in my outlook.com email unless I want to pay for it or use an Ad blocker. I guess if people don't like they can quit using it and find an Ad free device. Good luck with that.

Seems people can't ignore a dumb spark they know is an Ad and it ruins their life. I could live without them also but it doesn't drive me insane.
    To be fair, there's a big difference between ads that are subtle and easily ignored, from ads that pop notifications to steal your attention. I wouldn't classify ads themselves as spam because they're rather innocuous. However, the moment notifications are sent to force your attention to address it, then it's considered spam. Android ads aren't spam, nor are website ads, simply because there's no mechanism forcing you to address them.

Via Tapatalk
    Witmen likes this.
    04-07-15 03:35 PM
    I used BBM and told others to use it because it was a simple straight forward instant messaging service that provided enhanced features beyond SMS. Honestly, I need nothing beyond SMS but the Delivery and Read notifications are a nice feature. Plus enhanced security over SMS is the only reason I used BBM. I could pay $1 every month, or $12 every year, but WhatsApp is only $1 per year. WhatsApp also does exactly what I want it to with no extra junk. Then why am I still using BBM I have to ask myself. So far the only reason I can come up with is because of those few contacts I told to use it. It won't be long before my and all of them are using something else. You f'd up BlackBerry and ruined a great thing.
    04-07-15 03:37 PM
    To be fair, there's a big difference between ads that are subtle and easily ignored, from ads that pop notifications to steal your attention. I wouldn't classify ads themselves as spam because they're rather innocuous. However, the moment notifications are sent to force your attention to address it, then it's considered spam. Android ads aren't spam, nor are website ads, simply because there's no mechanism forcing you to address them.

Via Tapatalk
    I don't even see them unless I open BBM, I use the hub. I get no pop up or notification. I don't see how I am being forced to address them. Unless I'm not getting what others are.
    thymaster likes this.
    04-07-15 03:43 PM
    You should be able to tap and hold on the invitation, and then from the menu that appears choose "Block".
    OK it says block BlackBerry. Does that mean everything from BlackBerry is blocked then or just the ads?
    04-07-15 03:44 PM
    The spam seems annoying, I haven't experienced it but from what people are saying on here, I wouldn't be happy with it. As for BBM Shop and Stickers, I don't see what the problem is. You don't have to click on the shop. If you don't want to go in the Shop then don't go in it. How is it bothering anyone. I never go in the shop, I could care less about the stickers. My daughter loves them but I could care less so I just don't go in it. I don't understand is the BBM Shop popping up when you open BBM? Or at random times while you are trying to use BBM. I just don't get it. How is it bothering anyone?

Posted via CB10
    Surely something has annoyed you and I'm sure someone didn't agree with you that it was annoying but does that make it any less annoying to you?

Posted via CB10
    04-07-15 03:46 PM

BBM is Blackberry. The fact that it's now available to other platforms doesn't mean I'm supposed to view it as some trashy website where I should expect ads.

Are there ads in my calendar app? Are there ads in my contacts? How about my calculator app? No. Of course not. They come as part of the essential software of your phone, and they should not have ads. BBM was exactly this two years ago. In fact, apparently it still is a core app because you can't delete it. Are you trying to say that iphone and android users are so trashy that their app spam should now filter onto blackberries and I should just accept that any app on my phone should have ads?
    04-07-15 03:56 PM
    BBM has become very sad although we have better features than ever...there's a fine line to all things and I believe Chen has crossed the line with trying to monetize BBM.

I agree "Real" BlackBerry users have become accustomed to checking the spark A.S.A.P and it's very frustrating when we see spam instead.

Something needs to change and it needs to change fast in order for BlackBerry to stay as a company.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-15 03:57 PM
    BBM has become very sad although we have better features than ever...there's a fine line to all things and I believe Chen has crossed the line with trying to monetize BBM.

I agree "Real" BlackBerry users have become accustomed to checking the spark A.S.A.P and it's very frustrating when we see spam instead.

Something needs to change and it needs to change fast in order for BlackBerry to stay as a company.

Posted via CB10
    I'm a "real" BlackBerry user and I check bbm all the time, I barely get these sponsored invites and checking feeds takes 10 seconds

Posted via CB10
    koolaje likes this.
    04-07-15 03:59 PM
    Not really the definition of spam... but anyway

I never noticed them cause I just use BBM From the Hub.

As I recall, you can pay a subscription to remove them

Posted via CB10
    04-07-15 04:05 PM
    BBM is Blackberry. The fact that it's now available to other platforms doesn't mean I'm supposed to view it as some trashy website where I should expect ads.

Are there ads in my calendar app? Are there ads in my contacts? How about my calculator app? No. Of course not. They come as part of the essential software of your phone, and they should not have ads. BBM was exactly this two years ago. In fact, apparently it still is a core app because you can't delete it. Are you trying to say that iphone and android users are so trashy that their app spam should now filter onto blackberries and I should just accept that any app on my phone should have ads?
    OK I wasn't thinking straight. And no there aren't ads in those apps. But no one else has BlackBerry calendar, contacts or calculator or ........ Everyone can have BBM now I guess that is the difference. And when the rest go mulitplatform don't be surprised if they have ads also. I agree that if you own a BlackBerry you shouldn't get the ads but having an ad in the shop section of BBM that only shows a spark which can be ignored is different than pop ups and notices in the hub. Do you also hate the spark for useless feeds?

I won't pay to stop them, I'm fine with ignoring some spark I know is nothing.
    04-07-15 04:10 PM
    You have turned your value added service, that was free and ad free for years to BlackBerry users, into an annoying ad pusher that we have to pay for.
    Posted via CB10
    Isn't this the same as any other free application model?
    Free = Ads
    Paid = No ads

Do you pay for applications just to avoid advertisements? If not, why does it bother you so much that BlackBerry is taking the same approach to their applications?

Posted via CB10
    thymaster likes this.
    04-07-15 04:26 PM
    You have turned your value added service, that was free and ad free for years to BlackBerry users, into an annoying ad pusher that we have to pay for. If BIS users are getting these ads then you guys are being extorted even more!
    Actually, they were never free. Prior to BB10, everybody paid a $5 monthly subscription. Granted, most US carriers (and some carriers in other nations), either ate the cost, or buried it in your monthly bill via creative financial adjustments in the device's subsidized price, but it was being paid to RIM/BBRY either way. Without that monthly subscription, BB's income dropped. They're now just basically bringing it back. The only difference is they're holding the user accountable instead of the carriers.

Via Tapatalk
    koolaje and pkcable like this.
    04-07-15 04:56 PM
    I like the stickers, just not the advertising =\ I don't feel like I can complain on my current Android phone, however if BB users are feeling it to, that's kinda unacceptable, I maintain that if you pay for a phone it should maintain it's prestige throughout, not feel like a cheap advertising screen.

(Formerly an owner of many BB legacy devices, three Z10s, and a Z30 - someday soon maybe a Passport too - presently Huawei Ascend Mate 2)
    04-07-15 06:25 PM
    Longtime BBM defender here...but yup, hate where BBM is going. Such a shame.
    04-07-15 06:38 PM
    Agreed. The plan to monetize BBM is going to kill loyalty. They are ruining one of the best features of blackberry.

Not to mention the Feeds being annoying. I don't need someone changing their display picture to show up on my active tiles! Thankfully that can be disabled, but you still get "Blank is now a contact" showing up on your active tile months after they have been added.

Posted via CB10
    It's a social app, I find that feature very nice and unique

Posted via CB10
    04-07-15 07:04 PM
    When you open BBM and see the Spark symbol on the screen you are ingrained to think something is important if you are a long time BBM user. I haven't bought a single sticker pack, or app via the BBM Shop, nor will I. I want the option to disable the shop all together so when I'm using the app I'm having to click on the shop to get rid of the spark. As a BlackBerry phone user and BBM user for over 7 years now the experience is degrading severely fast. BlackBerry keeps giving fewer reasons to stay a loyal BlackBerry user.

Posted via CB10
    OK Inichols I get you man, for me that shop spark is on all the time I just ignore it. It really doesn't bother me at all, it certainly isn't enough to make me dislike BBM. I have other much bigger quarrels with BBM than the shop, but I understand.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-07-15 07:21 PM
    Those who would rationalize additional spam because there is other spam "out there" are a little like those who would say we shouldn't lock up criminals because there are other criminals "out there." For me, all spam is unwelcome and should be "locked up," irrespective of the source! Although I don't suffer BBM spam because I don't really use BBM that much, I certainly sympathize with those who don't appreciate one more source of spam cluttering up their already "overly marketed" lives.
    04-07-15 07:29 PM
    People paid for Androids yet they are bombarded with Ads, are Ads spam?
    What ads is everybody referring to on Android? None of the AOSP, Google, or OEM apps I use have any ads... well except Youtube.
    mornhavon and Witmen like this.
    04-07-15 07:44 PM
    Hmmm. The ads doesn't bother me at all. If you find it annoying and you claim you are a professional then you can afford to pay a dollar a month for a no ad version.
    Wow typical attack the person and belittle them response this place has resorted to. Yes I am a professional, are you? And if I have to pay a $1 per month to get rid of ads, I might as well buy an iPhone for the iMessage to talk with my extended family who all have then, get apps, new devices, etc. And people wonder why BlackBerry is hemorrhaging subscribers and can't sell devices.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-15 08:17 PM
    Hahahahahahahahaha. iPhone's are the best ever! We just love iPhone's on the BlackBerry forum....what...wait. It's a BlackBerry forum....silly me

Posted by my fabulous red Passport
    habs_fan likes this.
    04-07-15 08:30 PM
    Actually, they were never free. Prior to BB10, everybody paid a $5 monthly subscription. Granted, most US carriers (and some carriers in other nations), either ate the cost, or buried it in your monthly bill via creative financial adjustments in the device's subsidized price, but it was being paid to RIM/BBRY either way. Without that monthly subscription, BB's income dropped. They're now just basically bringing it back. The only difference is they're holding the user accountable instead of the carriers.

Via Tapatalk
    My carrier paid for them. I paid for unlimited data, same as I do now, same as if I had a iPhone, Android, Palm, etc. The fact that BlackBerry got a cut of that with BBOS is irrelevant to me. Apple built massive data centers for their services, gets no subscriber fees, and adds services and features to their devices year after year. If I have to buy a lower spec'd phone at a higher price, pay for services or get ads pushed on me, and side load apps from Android, then why BlackBerry? I like BB10, but it is a compromise with a poor ecosystem, and who knows what other personal info BlackBerry sales under the guise of BBM.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-15 08:35 PM
    Hahahahahahahahaha. iPhone's are the best ever! We just love iPhone's on the BlackBerry forum....what...wait. It's a BlackBerry forum....silly me

Posted by my fabulous red Passport
    I've used BBM and BlackBerry for years. If I buy a BlackBerry phone then I should get some better service differentiation with BBM, especially when it had been used for years without all the ads, compare to iPhone users in BBM. They aren't even smart with their advertising. I've seen ads for BeWeather multiple times since they started the ads and I've had BeWeather since the Z10 launched in the US. So bother your users with something they already bought. But please continue with the witty and insightful responses.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-15 08:43 PM
230 1234 ...