Do people really want this?

Do people message a lot on their tablets?

Can people right now bridge their devices to their playbook to use BBM?

Do people think BBM on 'droid or ios will be able to bridge to playbook to BBM?

We get a lot of haters making jokes about BBM not being there. But do people really want it? I know it would be nice to have but for a device that was trashed vigorously I'm impressed its still a hot topic of discussion. I wonder what the people who bought the ipad 1 with no cameras would say. Do they expect an update to give it functionality it doesn't have? Like a free trade in for an ipad with cameras. I personally would be more upset by that. For me I'd prefer BBM only be on someones main personal communication device. It would be annoying if people either start leaving there PBs at home (still amazes me the ones making comments about no BBM are the same ones who bash it, lol) and then they didn't receive my BBM.

I vote against BBM coming to playbook unless its via bridge. It may happen but I hope it doesn't.
    06-07-13 10:36 AM
    Since BBM is now tied to your BlackBerry ID, wouldn't you get the same message on both devices? I mean, I have the same email addresses both in the native email on my PlayBook and on my BlackBerry, and the message goes to both...
    06-07-13 10:45 AM
    When I had my PB I would have loved to utilize BBM on it as a stand-alone device and not bridged to my 9700. It wasn't a deal breaker, but it would have been a nice option to have, and a definite selling point for the PB if it had been there. Why are you anti-option? Just because you wouldn't make use of it doesn't mean that everyone else who owns a PB wouldn't.
    Last edited by pantlesspenguin; 06-07-13 at 11:51 AM. Reason: apparent finger spaz
    JeepBB, kbz1960 and reeneebob like this.
    06-07-13 10:48 AM
    Since BBM is now tied to your BlackBerry ID, wouldn't you get the same message on both devices? I mean, I have the same email addresses both in the native email on my PlayBook and on my BlackBerry, and the message goes to both...
    I don't like that since I wouldn't want duplicate messages. I wouldn't want a message on a device popping up if its not near me. Bad for privacy. That's me though.
    06-07-13 10:58 AM
    When I had my PB I wanwould have loved to utilize BBM on it as a stand-alone device and not bridged to my 9700. It wasn't a deal breaker, but it would have been a nice option to have, and a definite selling point for the PB if it had been there. Why are you anti-option? Just because you wouldn't make use of it doesn't mean that everyone else who owns a PB wouldn't.
    I said why in my OP.
    06-07-13 10:59 AM
    I said why in my OP.
    And ignored that other users may have different needs. If BBM natively to the PB, you wouldn't be forced to use it. You could ignore that it's even there. Meanwhile, those who want that option could happily use it. That would be like me saying I don't want BBM to come to iOS and Android just because I personally don't plan on using it on my Nexus. BBM on my Z10 is perfect, but I certainly hope that multi-platform BBM does well too. I think the more devices that have full-fledged BBM, the more exposure it'll get from people who aren't yet that familiar with BB10 and hopefully it'll get them curious about the OS.
    JeepBB and rnhld like this.
    06-07-13 11:10 AM
    And ignored that other users may have different needs. If BBM natively to the PB, you wouldn't be forced to use it. You could ignore that it's even there. Meanwhile, those who want that option could happily use it. That would be like me saying I don't want BBM to come to iOS and Android just because I personally don't plan on using it on my Nexus. BBM on my Z10 is perfect, but I certainly hope that multi-platform BBM does well too. I think the more devices that have full-fledged BBM, the more exposure it'll get from people who aren't yet that familiar with BB10 and hopefully it'll get them curious about the OS.
    But I didn't think anyone without a BB bought a PB?

right?

or, why can't they bridge?

How is it going to get exposure from being on PB? Im pretty sure people with a PB know about BB.

Your analogy isn't at all correct.

I hope BBM stays as a pure personal device communication avenue. I don't want it bastardized by being on peoples tablets.

I can see it how 'oh, well it must have gone to the tablet'

As in all business its cost-benefit. There is really little benefit to satisfying the population who wants it (from what I see its the bashers who bring up its not there). They should keep BBM as a pure communication tool for peoples primary device, with the ability to bridge it to secondary devices if they want. That's the choice.

I'm against BBM natively on tablets.
    06-07-13 11:22 AM
    BBM on PB .... That would take the fun out of PB.... PB is for fun...... BBM is for work........ Let's not blur the line......
    06-07-13 11:22 AM
    But do people really want it?
    Why don't you ask the question in the Playbook forums, given that they're the only folk who really have a dog in this fight. I mean, if you really wanted to know other's opinions on this?

Though, after reading the rest of your post, it's clear that you don't really want to know.

Just out of interest, do you post anything that isn't intended as flame-bait?
    06-07-13 11:25 AM
    But I didn't think anyone without a BB bought a PB?

right?

or, why can't they bridge?

How is it going to get exposure from being on PB? Im pretty sure people with a PB know about BB.

Your analogy isn't at all correct.

I hope BBM stays as a pure personal device communication avenue. I don't want it bastardized by being on peoples tablets.

I can see it how 'oh, well it must have gone to the tablet'

As in all business its cost-benefit. There is really little benefit to satisfying the population who wants it (from what I see its the bashers who bring up its not there). They should keep BBM as a pure communication tool for peoples primary device, with the ability to bridge it to secondary devices if they want. That's the choice.

I'm against BBM natively on tablets.
    Tablets are whatever the user wants them to be, just like smartphones. If someone buys an iPad and uses it for email, IM, skype, etc, more power to them.

I know that PB sales are/were largely from BB superusers, but it's not unrealistic to me that there are PB owners out there who haven't gotten to play around with BB10 yet. Perhaps they think that their legacy devices are "good enough" or maybe they don't even have a BB anymore and are just using the PB as an entertainment device. Suddenly along comes an option to get BBM natively. They download it and see that a lot has changed from the BBM they once knew. That might get them eager to try out a BB10 device to see what else has changed. Pretty much the same reasoning why I think cross-platform BBM is a great idea.
    JeepBB, RJB55 and kbz1960 like this.
    06-07-13 11:32 AM
    Yes, why not? If my phone is charging in the other room and I have my pb in hand why wouldn't I just want to be able to read it and reply from right there instead of having to get up and go to where my phone is charging to see if it is important or not.

Hard to believe but some people own one who don't own a BBRY phone.

I don't see how you're going to have duplicated messages. If it's read on one it should reflect on the other.
    pantlesspenguin and JeepBB like this.
    06-07-13 11:49 AM
    Yeah, having BBM on the PB natively would be synonymous with having email on the PB natively. If you don't like that idea, then don't use it. Otherwise, you can use it and it'll all sync anyway. Some people don't have a BB phone but have a PB. In that case, it is more critical because if RIM wants to hook iOS and Android users with BBM (with the idea that it'll eventually result in those users choosing or at least considering BB for their future devices), then it makes the most sense if an actual BB product has their service they are trying to promote. Otherwise, those users with a PB may realize that the PB is unsupported and it'll taint their views towards purchasing another BB product again, even if they end up using BBM on their iOS and Android devices.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    06-07-13 01:19 PM
    BBM on PB .... That would take the fun out of PB.... PB is for fun...... BBM is for work........ Let's not blur the line......
    What lol? Is this sarcasm? Did I miss something?
    rnhld likes this.
    06-07-13 01:45 PM
    Hurds I swear your threads are always interesting....lol I'll give u this.

I fail to see exactly how BBM becomes bastardized by making it natively on a tablet. I would LOVE for BBM to be on my PlayBook. Personally I think it's an embarrassment to BB everyday that it's not there. It's a BB product...why is it not there? How is it that Apple managed to get imessage to work effortlessly across a users multiple devices, yet 2+ years, BB still can't pull it off? Or the fact that since we can get no update on the PlayBook that there's a chance that IOS and Android users could possibly get BBM before my $700 PlayBook does....its sad man. I see why people laugh at BB

Like others said, u don't have to use it if it's on your PlayBook. Having your conversation update across devices would make BBM much more useful. I see people on iPads using imessage and WISH my Playbook could do the same without needing my BB around
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    06-07-13 01:57 PM
    I'd use it. Key thing is making sure that the messages sync properly between my Z10 and PlayBook. Apple touted this cool feature with iMessage except that it's often super flaky for me. Messages will appear on some devices, not others, or duplicate on some. There's even flakiness between the notifications and the actual app too.

Don't like that at all and don't want to see BBM have the same problem.
    06-07-13 02:22 PM
    Can't bridge bbm with bb10, hurds if you had one you would already know this
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-07-13 02:23 PM