This is in my local UAE newspaper, not sure how valid it is but it is exciting news if it is true.

RIM�s rebirth (of sorts): BBM 7 offers free international calls; Skype-killer?
    By Staff
    Published Monday, December 17, 2012
    Research in Motion (RIM) has unveiled BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) version 7, a free update for the globally popular mobile social network, that now allows users to make free voice calls to their BBM contacts across the world.

The key new feature of the update, which will allow customers to make free voice calls to their BBM contacts around the world over a Wi-Fi connection, is an inexpensive way to stay connected with friends, family and colleagues � but is not yet available in the UAE.

�I can�t tell you how many times I�ve been on chatting with someone on BlackBerry Messenger (BBM), trying to explain something, and realise it�d be a lot easier to just pick up the phone and talk it out,� BlackBerry�s new Blog Manager Donny Halliwell wrote in a blog post.

�Thankfully, BBM 7 has me covered with BBM Voice. It�s available now in BlackBerry App World for devices running BlackBerry 6 OS and higher with support planned for smartphones running the BlackBerry 5 OS early next year,� he said.

Voila � that is perhaps something that should give RIM the much-needed jolt in customers� eyes, as should the impending BB10, set for a January 30 launch.

As Danny says in his blog post, �showing is better than telling� � here�s a a video of the first official BBM Voice call on Inside BlackBerry.

Asides from voice calling, BBM 7 contains a host of tweaks and new additions that overall make it a worthwhile download for those who use the platform for chatting and sending files with other BlackBerry users.

As mentioned, voice calls can now be made for free from within BBM via a Wi-Fi connection, with statuses updating to show which of your BBM contacts are on calls and such.

This is going to be a smash hit in Dubai and the rest of the UAE, where a largely expat population is eager to make �legal� international calls on a daily basis in order to be in touch with overseas friends and family.

However, according to a Research In Motion statement to this website: "BBM 7 and BBM Voice services are not yet available for customers in the UAE. Customers should refer to BlackBerry App World for the latest version of an app that is available in their location."

Beyond just plain calling, the BBM voice feature lets you begin a conversation by text and then if you wish, you can switch over to voice call.

You are notified in case your BBM voice contacts are waiting or available to make voice calls. BBM voice calling was kick-started with a beta app last month and received high user ratings.

Satisfied customers responded to surveys positively and said they wished to have BBM voice while travelling. Other features include 16 new emoticons for those who like to express themselves using smilies, easy synchronisation of BBM Contacts and Groups with your BlackBerry ID, meaning that you can switch to a new BlackBerry device (BlackBerry 10, anyone?) with ease.

Original Link:

RIM’s rebirth (of sorts): BBM 7 offers free international calls; Skype-killer? - Emirates 24/7
    12-17-12 02:49 AM
    Wow! Really???

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    12-17-12 02:54 AM
    We've been on this for about a month now for those with access to BETA. Thanks for the info though.
    12-17-12 06:00 AM
    It's VoIP calls, not phone calls. A good feature, but a Skype killer it is not.
    12-17-12 07:21 AM
    Until video chat gets added on BB10
    12-17-12 07:27 AM
    It is a Skype killer for BB owners.
    lnichols, MTL and hbozss like this.
    12-17-12 08:42 AM
    It is a Skype substitute for BB owners.
    Fixed that for you. Hard to kill something that doesn't exist.
    12-17-12 09:10 AM
    Fixed that for you. Hard to kill something that doesn't exist.
    No, it's a Skype substitute and killer at the same time when it comes to call quality. Theoretical of course since it doesn't exist for BB, but vs Skype voice calls on laptop BBMV kills it.
    12-17-12 09:20 AM
    No, it's a Skype substitute and killer at the same time when it comes to call quality. Theoretical of course since it doesn't exist for BB, but vs Skype voice calls on laptop BBMV kills it.
    You're not comparing same circumstances, so it means nothing.
    12-17-12 09:23 AM
    You're not comparing same circumstances, so it means nothing.
    Actually I am, same distance, same wifi network speeds at both ends, BBMV absolutely kills Skype.
    12-17-12 09:26 AM
    Actually I am, same distance, same wifi network speeds at both ends, BBMV absolutely kills Skype.
    Different hardware. It means nothing.
    12-17-12 09:30 AM
    Different but better hardware at both ends so it means everything.

HP Laptop with Beats Audio to Iphone.
    12-17-12 09:34 AM

So you're assuming a webcam microphone is better hardware when compared to an actual phone?
    12-17-12 09:38 AM
    So you're assuming a webcam microphone is better hardware when compared to an actual phone?
    I was using the same headset both times.

Edit- obviously you haven't tried it otherwise you wouldn't be arguing with me right now, it's even better then UMA/WiFi Calling.
    12-17-12 09:39 AM
    Until BBMV allows for video in the same way as Skype it cannot be compared as the same function therefore it cannot be a Skype killer.

Once BBMV allows for video through BBM then it be a possible Skype killer.
    12-17-12 11:42 AM
    Skype works on 3G/4G..... Until BBM can do that, it ain't killing it, it ain't substituting it.
    12-17-12 11:51 AM
    Besides all the discussion about who is better, is BBMV or Skype...

I find this feature amazing. I have been able to talk to some friends abroad with excellent quality.

The only problem : not much marketing. I had to ask my friends to upgrade and show them how to use it. Still of my over 60 BBM contacts just 5 have BBM 7.
    12-17-12 12:24 PM
    Besides all the discussion about who is better, is BBMV or Skype...

I find this feature amazing. I have been able to talk to some friends abroad with excellent quality.

The only problem : not much marketing. I had to ask my friends to upgrade and show them how to use it. Still of my over 60 BBM contacts just 5 have BBM 7.
    Well it also did just come out about a week ago. It might take some time for BBM upgrade notifications to hit their devices. Then actually updating it is up to the user.
    12-17-12 03:28 PM
    I don't use Skype but I did at one time. It proved virtually useless when trying to converse with relatives in the Maritimes and Australia, so I stopped using it.

I have updated BBM this evening and have tried BBMV. It is amazing - and will prove very useful when we go on our cruise in February.

Arguing about whether or not it is a "skype killer" is meaningless. Some of us have found Skype to be pretty useless in our real life situations.
    buwee likes this.
    12-18-12 09:57 PM
    Am I the only one that thinks BBM Voice is about 2 years late to the party? At least in North America. I am sure BBM Voice works great, and in some parts of the world is probably very useful, but how would I know? What am I (or a large portion of the other people in North America) going to do with it? Should I have awkward telephone coversations with dudes from Nigeria just to try the feature out? 2 years ago BBM Voice would have been awesome. Now BBM Voice is just the same as any other future improvements to BBM - A great feature I won't be able to use because no one I know uses BBM.

Compare BBM Voice with Google Voice for Android. Google Voice works with any telephone number. If the telephone number is in North America than you have 100% free voice calling. No catches at all. Its free. On top of that you also get free voice mail and free unlimited SMS. If you have a data connection, either via WiFi or your carrier supplied data plan, than you have a fully functional cell phone. No monthly carrier fee required.

BBM Voice works with people that still have a BlackBerry. A rare occurence in North America. Congratulations to all the people that are still able to use BBM as meaningful form of communication. But for me, and many other people out there, BBM is a ghost town unless we want to talk to random strangers from thousands of miles away.

I personally would have rather seen RIM improve the Google Voice app for BlackBerry, instead of making yet another great feature, for a great app that no one I care about uses anymore.
    rcab likes this.
    12-19-12 08:58 AM

I was using the same headset both times.

Edit- obviously you haven't tried it otherwise you wouldn't be arguing with me right now, it's even better then UMA/WiFi Calling.

You are wasting your time . It doesn't matter that you are 100% right. I know one guy who is an ex-employee of IBM and he says nothing good.
    12-19-12 09:09 AM
    Sure right, I have been using this for about a while now and it works crystal clear. I chat with my supplier regularly and we are across networks. The clarity is amazing, we were both shocked at how much clearer it is than the regular cell connection.
    hpjrt likes this.
    12-19-12 09:11 AM
    Sure right, I have been using this for about a while now and it works crystal clear. I chat with my supplier regularly and we are across networks. The clarity is amazing, we were both shocked at how much clearer it is than the regular cell connection.
    Yeah the BBM chat is clear as a bell.I just finished a chat with my wife who is currently on Vancouver island at at a hotel with wifi, and it was crystal clear.LOVE IT ,its free
    12-20-12 07:59 PM
    I was wondering... Is BBMV going to merge with Video Chat on the PB? Wouldn't that be nice?
    12-21-12 07:39 AM
    does bbm voice chat support over vpn.... i am uae & as u know it is blocked here so can i do voice call over vpn... please reply
    03-05-13 10:10 PM
29 12