Short ?
    BBM most downloaded IM with WhatsApp on APPL devices-distimo-survey-nov-2013.jpg

Full story ?
    BlackBerry Messenger, WhatsApp Dominate Messaging Market Downloads on Apple Devices | TruTower

edit: this has been originally posted by fedakd within a thread, but I thought it worse a dedicated one.
    kudos ! and click on the blue/white arrow within the quote to give him likes and thanks !
    Well, this is sure interesting
    BlackBerry Messenger, WhatsApp Dominate Messaging Market Downloads on Apple Devices
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 11-27-13 at 03:35 AM.
    11-27-13 02:41 AM
    Interesting!

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-27-13 02:51 AM
    Haven't read the story, but I'm surprised that Snapchat has the highest volume in the US. Really makes a case for BBM incorporating this functionality in BBM.

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    11-27-13 03:04 AM
    Haven't read the story, but I'm surprised that Snapchat has the highest volume in the US. Really makes a case for BBM incorporating this functionality in BBM.

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    it is, in a way : "delete chat" or "quit group" will erase all content instantly (if it has not been captured/saved, but same goes for SC).
    11-27-13 03:13 AM
    What I find fascinating is that almost a quarter of downloads in the US is BBM. Not too shabby for a country where BB is almost dead.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-27-13 03:22 AM
    This is so wrong statistically. Because an app that is already super popular and ON existing phones would not be downloaded by all the people who already have it, thus this just shows which apps are seeing growth, but doesn't necessarily represent market share. Not to mention this makes no distinction between update downloads (which BBM has had a few in a relatively short period as well as whatsapp) which would double count numbers instead of number of people downloading it for the first time. Not to mention many people download all these apps and quickly delete them.

Also suspect this is the reason why snapchat is so high in the US.

Still...good to see some positive numbers!

- Developer of PinGuin
    11-27-13 05:58 AM
    This is so wrong statistically. Because an app that is already super popular and ON existing phones would not be downloaded by all the people who already have it, thus this just shows which apps are seeing growth, but doesn't necessarily represent market share. Not to mention this makes no distinction between update downloads (which BBM has had a few in a relatively short period as well as whatsapp) which would double count numbers instead of number of people downloading it for the first time. Not to mention many people download all these apps and quickly delete them.

Also suspect this is the reason why snapchat is so high in the US.

Still...good to see some positive numbers!

- Developer of PinGuin
    Of course, this should be only taken as in the title "most downloaded IM".
    That's the tricky part of these measures; do not extrapolate them.
    Your reasoning sounds good, yet I believe other IMs had their updates too.

About the market share, as stated by BlackBerry, we should only consider the (active) user base as a viable metric. P.S: Remember BBM will come very soon (already ?) pre-installed on many android devices
    11-27-13 06:13 AM
    As I stated in another thread, I hope BBRY releases user data for BBM on Dec 20th. I believe services are the future for the company.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-27-13 07:03 AM
    Of course, this should be only taken as in the title "most downloaded IM".
    That's the tricky part of these measures; do not extrapolate them.
    Your reasoning sounds good, yet I believe other IMs had their updates too.

About the market share, as stated by BlackBerry, we should only consider the (active) user base as a viable metric. P.S: Remember BBM will come very soon (already ?) pre-installed on many android devices
    On the other hand, that's usually how the market share of mobile phones is measured.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-13 07:56 AM
    On the other hand, that's usually how the market share of mobile phones is measured.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, but concerning software, there's too much "noise" for this metric to be really relevant as a market share indicator.
    I take it as a trend, more than anything else.
    Let's see how it goes for ongoing months ...
    11-27-13 08:28 AM
    Overall I'm pretty happy with the BBM4All impressions I've been seeing from friends, although I'd say 1/5 who initially installed it has deleted it. Still, even at that rate, retention is quite good. They really need video and voice though within the next few months.

- Developer of PinGuin
    Last edited by Brandon Orr; 11-27-13 at 11:48 AM.
    11-27-13 10:40 AM
    Downloads mean little for any messaging app - it's USAGE that matters. And it's really too early to have those kinds of numbers for BBM.

If we had a report of, say, the number of messages per month, starting with Jan 2013 and reported each month moving forward, that would tell us what is really going on. Of course I don't expect that info to actually be released. If we're lucky, we may eventually be told the number of unique monthly users, which is also a fairly decent indicator of usage.

But, again, downloads mean very little, especially comparing downloads of a product that was just released on the market with downloads of other apps in the same period that have been released for years already, and whose installed-bases have long ago downloaded the app. I realize that these are the only numbers available for BBM at this time, but that still doesn't make this metric have any real meaning. Many people, with ANY messaging app, will download it, use it once, and never touch it again, which really does nothing for the platform. Sustained usage is everything.
    Etios likes this.
    11-27-13 10:54 AM
    Downloads mean little for any messaging app - it's USAGE that matters. And it's really too early to have those kinds of numbers for BBM.

If we had a report of, say, the number of messages per month, starting with Jan 2013 and reported each month moving forward, that would tell us what is really going on. Of course I don't expect that info to actually be released. If we're lucky, we may eventually be told the number of unique monthly users, which is also a fairly decent indicator of usage.

But, again, downloads mean very little, especially comparing downloads of a product that was just released on the market with downloads of other apps in the same period that have been released for years already, and whose installed-bases have long ago downloaded the app. I realize that these are the only numbers available for BBM at this time, but that still doesn't make this metric have any real meaning. Many people, with ANY messaging app, will download it, use it once, and never touch it again, which really does nothing for the platform. Sustained usage is everything.
    I think most of us that have Android and iPhone friends and were able to get them to try BBM, now how that is going.....
    11-27-13 11:07 AM
    It's starting.....

Better android than android. The future is black....
    11-27-13 11:18 AM

Fair enough, but I believe a comparison with snapshat is somehow (more) accurate (than with whatsApp).
    On the usage front, we already have some idea of the time spent (which DOES NOT equals marquet share or installations #), encouraging, to say the least (please notice the below is for Android platform)

WhatsApp Messenger and BlackBerry Messenger See More Use Than Facebook’s Chat Service on Android | TruTower
    BBM most downloaded IM with WhatsApp on APPL devices-minutes-use-bbm-whatsapp.jpg
    These numbers are pretty well reflected in different countries as well. In the United States, WhatsApp and BBM stand at about 100 and about 80 minutes, respectively, with Facebook bringing up the rear at the same 25 minute average as the worldwide average. In the United Kingdom, Facebook once again holds at about 25 minutes, with WhatsApp and BBM being used 90 and 75 minutes for the week, respectively.
    Engagement is very important in a social network and it definitely looks as though WhatsApp and BBM will be far ahead of Facebook for at least the near term, even with the new changes Facebook is making to its Messenger. Only time will tell if BBM or other applications will catch up to WhatsApp or if WhatsApp will continue to reign supreme for Android users.

Read more at WhatsApp Messenger and BlackBerry Messenger See More Use Than Facebook’s Chat Service on Android | TruTower
    11-27-13 11:48 AM