View Poll Results: Will Chaton Free you from BBM Addiction and your Blackberry?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Android with Keyboard and I'm out of here!

5 5.68%
  • No, I love Blackberry, no keyboard ever as good, BBM rules!

50 56.82%
  • Truly cross platform messengering is not that important, I stick to blackberry for other reasons.

33 37.50%
    I'm a girl.

Of which of the three platforms I currently actively use would you say I'm a fanGIRL of, specifically?
    No prob.
    I know a certain man who would be terribly upset if I suddenly had a spontaneous sexchange.
    Oh sure. And I certainly can guess who he would be. :-)
    03-17-12 10:47 AM
    One thing I don't like about whatsapp is the utilization of your contact list for the phone numbers to use. It appears that chaton utilizes the same method. I prefer Touch because it utilizes email address as MMS. I do like the mb transfer with whatsapp tho! It would be nice if BBM would expand it's group chat to include foto embed, and file transfer. Also allow apps like Jingu to integrate with Group chat would be nice. Over the last year, I have really enjoyed the changes to BBM and the additions of BBM Music, SMoothie, etc. I am not sure this is going to be enough to sell a BB phone in this market tho.
    03-17-12 10:59 AM

As far as BBM asking to integrate, I like that I have the option to choose. You know about choice, right? You have a point in which you get to decide for yourself what you want to do?

As far as friends listening to your music or what app you're using, you can opt out of that. You know...that pesky word again....choice.
    I agree that choice is good. I just find it annoying that whenever there is an upgrade to any native app, I get a prompt asking if I want to integrate it with BBM. I'd like to just tell Twitter or Foursquare once and for all "No".
    03-17-12 01:21 PM
    @mikeycollins13 No. Let them be. No company deserves bashing unless they've purposely defrauded their customers/workers multiple times without any care whatsoever.
    03-17-12 01:26 PM
    Dam OP, That's quite the catch you have here.
    03-17-12 01:51 PM
    So far only 5.88% agree with the OP, that says it all no?
    03-17-12 03:47 PM
    So far only 5.88% agree with the OP, that says it all no?
    NO cause there are some that post here but did chose to do the poll, so the % could be far more.
    03-17-12 04:14 PM
    NO cause there are some that post here but did chose to do the poll, so the % could be far more.

If they cared enough they would've ticked the box.
    03-17-12 04:23 PM
    None of the poll answers reflect the OP's question.

Android with a keyboard has nothing to do with cross-platform messaging.

BlackBerry keyboard has nothing to do with cross-platform messaging or BBM (there are BlackBerry devices without physical keyboards).
    spike12 likes this.
    03-17-12 05:13 PM
    I just saw Chaton:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...com.sec.chaton

They will be coming to blackberry, and I assume will use BB's push system.

To keep a closed system as both Apple and BB have done is ancient, closed minded, and plane dumb.

Why can't I chat with Android and IOS guys?

So annoying. Thank you Samsung.
    whats app + live profile failed (they do OK...) whats any different here?
    03-17-12 06:48 PM
    RIM and Samsung partnership rumors. ChatOn bringing BlackBerry support. If I was to follow the trail of breadcrumbs I bet I would find some patent licensing agreements in the future.
    03-17-12 07:12 PM
    RIM and Samsung partnership rumors. ChatOn bringing BlackBerry support. If I was to follow the trail of breadcrumbs I bet I would find some patent licensing agreements in the future.
    Sometime the trail of breadcrumbs lead to nothing more than a half eaten sandwich.
    03-18-12 03:21 AM
    ChatOn has been four for months now on Android and its now on iOS.

Its Terrible.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express
    03-18-12 10:45 AM
    ChatOn has been four for months now on Android and its now on iOS.

Its Terrible.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

They have it for Mac and PC as well. The only platform not included yet is BB. They have the option to download, but it's shaded out. Guess it's still in development.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-18-12 10:47 AM
    To me, iMessage seems pointless because it's just built in and there are no extra social elements involved. To me BBM is robust with groups, and connected apps and such. And while here in North America the BB OS market share has slipped, it might not seem as significant in many eyes here. I'm hoping for a BlackBerry resurgence with BB10. It will need to have 4G LTE, and some of those big name key apps (skype anyone?). Aside from that, it will just need to be marketed extremely well. Hopefully from that you'll see some upward movement in BBM usage in North America. I'm actually REALLY curious to what they'll be doing with BBM in regards to the BB10 OS.
    03-19-12 12:43 AM
    Unlimited texting plans... 'Nuff said
    03-19-12 09:27 AM
    BBM and Whatsapp co-exist on my Berry just fine.
    Not only those two, there is hookt, kik, msn messenger, google talk and Facebook. So I don't view BBM as limiting me but rather giving me another option to use.
    03-19-12 11:50 AM
    Unlimited texting plans... 'Nuff said
    No good internationally.
    TheQ805 likes this.
    03-19-12 11:52 AM
    No good internationally.
    And that literally does not matter if you only text domestically, nevermind the fact that IM services work everywhere and have existed for 2 decades.
    03-19-12 01:18 PM
    And that literally does not matter if you only text domestically, nevermind the fact that IM services work everywhere and have existed for 2 decades.
    Disregarding the international comment, that's exactly what I said in an earlier post, there's no need for yet another cross platform instant messenger platform
    03-19-12 02:10 PM
    Disregarding the international comment, that's exactly what I said in an earlier post, there's no need for yet another cross platform instant messenger platform
    And bringing back the international comment, most countries share multiple borders. In Europe, the EU makes cross country travel as easy as crossing state lines is in the US. So, for the majority of the world's population, international mobility means that international messaging capabilities are quite desirable.
    Let's not be quite so provincial in our thinking.
    And.....Yet another messenger app is probably unnecessary.
    03-21-12 10:53 AM
    OP
    Many tried, many failed.
    That doesn't mean they didn't make great products.
    BBM has been fine tuned for years and is so stable, so quick, so smooth and so secure.
    03-21-12 02:02 PM
    Thank you samsung for reinventing the wheel? There have been numerous multi platform clients before them.

Adding in one more to the mix doesn't solve the problem as it's just another client you have to try and convert all of your contacts to.
    03-21-12 02:09 PM
    Waste of time IMHO. It's all about BBM, WhatsApp and SMS. Everything else is a pointless.
    03-21-12 04:39 PM
    Waste of time IMHO. It's all about BBM, WhatsApp and SMS. Everything else is a pointless.
    I wish RIM releases a BBM app for Mac and Windows (and even Linux if possible).

These won't affect their sales negatively at all, since they don't compete in the Desktop/Laptop space. What it will do is make BBM even more sticky, encouraging people to get BBs/PBs (after the PB gets BBM) as their personal mobile devices.

But they should not release BBM for iOS/Android/HTML5. On the mobile space it should be exclusive to PB/BB, i.e. areas where RIM makes money.
    03-21-12 05:21 PM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD