Hey friends,

BBM for iOS / Android offers:

"Analytics for Partners

We've integrated better metrics via Google Analytics to provide our partners with a view into expanded engagement metrics. Partners can now easily track their traffic, including the number of unique users, returning users, how long people are staying on their applications, and more."

What do you think about that?

BlackBerry now 'finally' has become the company BlackBerry users wanted to avoid.

Now it's Alcatel running Android with Google's privacy...
    This is so sad!

Posted via CB10
    03-02-17 12:58 AM
    If you use ads you need a way to track them and measure how well they are doing. BBM Android is licensed away so its not really BBs doing anyway.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    03-02-17 01:08 AM
    Why so sad?
    03-02-17 01:15 AM
    The sky is falling! We're all gonna die!
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    03-02-17 02:06 AM
    Yes. It's ridiculous to talk about security and privacy with Google Analytics monitoring even when you type your passwords.
    But that was one of Chen's missions: to kill any semblance of privacy and security at BlackBerry.

We should not be surprised. Google analytics is on IEEE's webpage monitoring it when you type your password to log into your account.
    It's on Blackboard monitoring the marks, passwords and IDs of university students.
    Google is the Stalin and Putin, combined, stalinputin^3.0, of the Internet. Sergey knows his roots very well.

And then we have all these cheerladies here who think that is kosher, recommended and a "MUST HAVE" feature and app.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-17 08:50 AM
    If you don't like advertising (and the required analytics), then pay for the service.

Pay with your money or your non-identifying info. Simple as that.
    03-02-17 08:57 AM
    If you don't like advertising (and the required analytics), then pay for the service.

Pay with your money or your non-identifying info. Simple as that.
    Sounds good! Who do I pay?
    03-02-17 09:37 AM
    good! Who do I pay?
    Subscribe to BBM Enterprise
    idssteve likes this.
    03-02-17 09:46 AM
    Hey friends,

"Analytics for Partners

We've integrated better metrics via Google Analytics to provide our partners with a view into expanded engagement metrics. Partners can now easily track their traffic, including the number of unique users, returning users, how long people are staying on their applications, and more."

BlackBerry now 'finally' has become the company BlackBerry users wanted to avoid.

This is so sad!

Posted via CB10
    You're the only one who is sad. Sorry.
    03-02-17 09:47 AM
    Hey friends,

"Analytics for Partners

This is so sad!

Posted via CB10
    Haha! Practically every app you use on your device has tracking in it of some sort whether it be for ads or crashes. For that matter, pretty much everything internet related does. Your sky is falling BlackBerry posts are starting to reach crazy levels now Slash. You're just out here looking for things to hate on now, bro.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-02-17 09:48 AM
    Haha! Practically every app you use on your device has tracking in it of some sort whether it be for ads or crashes. For that matter, pretty much everything internet related does. Your sky is falling BlackBerry posts are starting to reach crazy levels now Slash. You're just out here looking for things to hate on now, bro.
    Ban the Op
    03-02-17 10:20 AM
    old pre-licensed BBM used to use 3rd party analytics too but I don't remember the company. Some curious CBer looked into the traffic because it was using an abnormal amount of bandwidth but I can't find that thread.
    03-02-17 02:29 PM
    ah it was WebTrends. BB used WebTrends for its own apps along with options for BB devs to include the capability for their own apps for BB World.

TinFoil hatters can have a look-see .

Options: Tracks instances that a user clicks on an ad in an application.
    Tracks instances that a user clicks a button in an application
    Tracks instances that a user views content in an application
    Tracks instances that media events occur in an application.
    Tracks instances that a user performs a search in an application

TLDR if you use apps you are getting tracked unless its some open source app. BB just switched companies to Google who is the best in the business at analytics and already knows about you.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-02-17 03:01 PM
    ah it was WebTrends. BB used WebTrends for its own apps along with options for BB devs to include the capability for their own apps for BB World.

TinFoil hatters can have a look-see .

Options: Tracks instances that a user clicks on an ad in an application.
    Tracks instances that a user clicks a button in an application
    Tracks instances that a user views content in an application
    Tracks instances that media events occur in an application.
    Tracks instances that a user performs a search in an application

TLDR if you use apps you are getting tracked unless its some open source app. BB just switched companies to Google who is the best in the business at analytics and already knows about you.
    Really? If I go to a website owned by a university to type in student marks or to IEEE, Google should track me?
    There are no ads on those websites, only passwords and confidential information. And I am doing this with an open source browser in Linux, not with an app on android or windows or ioS.

You deserve to be tracked by police and carded in the street at every step if you think Google stalking on the Internet is normal.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by sorinv; 03-02-17 at 09:39 PM.
    03-02-17 09:23 PM
    Really? If I go to a website owned by a university to type in student marks or to IEEE, Google should track me?
    There are no ads on those websites, only passwords and confidential information. And I am doing this with an open source browser in Linux, not with an app on android or windows or ioS.

You deserved to be tracked by police and carded in the street at every step if you think Google stalking on the Internet is normal.

Posted via CB10
    Holy smokes. It's analytics. They're not recording and transmitting all of your keystrokes.
    app_Developer and BigBadWulf like this.
    03-02-17 09:25 PM

You deserved to be tracked by police and carded in the street at every step if you think Google stalking on the Internet is normal.

Posted via CB10
    IEEE uses at least 4 trackers on their site, including Webtrends and Google Analytics.

ASU uses 5 different trackers including Google Analytics
    University of Waterloo uses 3 including Google Analytics

I could go on but surely you get the point.

Unless you're visiting a page from 1990, there's tracking and even then, you might still run into old school pixel trackers and stat counters lol.
    BigBadWulf and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    03-02-17 09:35 PM
    Holy smokes. It's analytics. They're not recording and transmitting all of your keystrokes.
    Yeah, right! They need to monitor my password and login.
    I wonder how we lived without it a year or two ago.
    Because this is recent.
    Every bloody page on the internet has Google Analytics lurking behind it! If that is not a monopoly, I don't know what is.
    I don't understand how you can write here that one can choose between Google and Apple. No, you can't. There is no apple analytics yet and you don't have a choice who monitors the pages on the internet.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-17 09:36 PM
    IEEE uses at least 4 trackers on their site, including Webtrends and Google Analytics.

On the awards website of the IEEE, the one that is supposed to be the most secure, secured by Washington based OpenWater (check them out!) only Google Analytics is present.
    On Blackboard there are indeed three trackers, one of them is Google analytics. But that does not mean that one can choose the trackers and Google is on absolutely all of them!

Posted via CB10
    03-02-17 09:38 PM
    If only.
    03-02-17 09:39 PM

Unless you're visiting a page from 1990, there's tracking and even then, you might still run into old school pixel trackers and stat counters lol.
    No. At least on some Canadian government websites there is no Google.
    There are many other up-to-date websites without Google lurking on them.
    But, you are confirming that Google is a monopoly if you write so...

Posted via CB10
    03-02-17 09:42 PM
    Google isn't a monopoly just because it's popular. There are plenty of other choices just people CHOOSE not to use them for any number of reasons. In any case, I'm not sure what anything you said has to do with Google Analytics being used in BBM vs. what they were using before. Your head would likely explode if you knew they were running Fabric on the BlackBerry Hub suite for crash analytics.
    BigBadWulf and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    03-02-17 09:43 PM
    No. At least on some Canadian government websites there is no Google.
    There are many other up-to-date websites without Google lurking on them.

Posted via CB10
    It's a product that many people choose to use.
    03-02-17 09:45 PM
    Google isn't a monopoly just because it's popular. There are plenty of other choices just people CHOOSE not to use them for any number of reasons. In any case, I'm not sure what anything you said has to do with Google Analytics being used in BBM vs. what they were using before.
    Google did not get on every page on the Internet by being popular, rather by forcing and twisting everyone who advertises and wants advertising revenue, to go through them.
    Most people who access a website have no clue that they are feeding data to Google.

Most websites, with very few exceptions like BBC and The Guardian, don't even warn you that they use cookies, or that Google monitors their webpage when you access it, as they should!

There is no other company in the world that gathers as much information about everyone and everything from across the Internet and aggregates it for its own use: no bank, no government, except, perhaps, the US government which piggybacks on Google's data collection, or else they wouldn't allow it.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-17 09:51 PM
    Google did not get on every page on the Internet by being popular, rather by forcing and twisting everyone who advertises and wants advertising revenue, to go through them.
    Most people who access a website have no clue that they are feeding data to Google.
    There is no other company in the world that gathers as much information about everyone and everything from across the Internet and aggregates it for its own use: no bank, no government, except, perhaps, the US government which piggybacks on Google's data collection, or else they wouldn't allow it.

Posted via CB10
    Sure, Ted.

Doesn't CB use Google Analytics?
    03-02-17 09:52 PM
    Sure, Ted.

Doesn't CB use Google Analytics?
    I don't know. I don't access it from Linux to check, but for sure I don't trust it. But either way, it shouldn't because we are in Canada and you don't have my permission. So, if I don't give you permission, you are infringing on my privacy and break the law.
    Now you can't say that you didn't know it!
    As you know, according to Canadian law you can't even send me an ad email without asking for permission.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-17 09:58 PM
57 123